Moneygram transfer

I dont have any MG account but just checked their page, was able to send like 7k and to a little worse rate then WU, but OK XE rate anyway, will the limit increase if you registrate? Or how did you get a 30k limit? Is 30k/day/week/month etc?
Just checked to verify. My daily limit was 10000usd. Less than what I recalled off the top of my head.

The two services are comparable where one is sometimes better than the other.

Won’t work with the UK one, go with MoneyGram instead, 30 mins to my argie account from my British one and no fees.
Thanks - this is exactly right. I got as far as getting the US version onto my phone but then it wouldn't accept my UK debit card. Might see if I can figure out a way around that (don 't have an Argentinian account, just want to have the cash, so Moneygram doesn't work)

If you send a moneygram to your Argentine bnak account, do AFIP get involved? Anyone had any dodgy experiences with that?

If you send a moneygram to your Argentine bnak account, do AFIP get involved? Anyone had any dodgy experiences with that?
No. Banks are supposed to monitor activity and report anything suspicious to AFIP, BCRA...but generally they would reach out to you if they think something sketchy is going on. Moneygram deposits to my account post as coming from "another account under my name", which makes me think MG create some sort of a "virtual" account for the transfer...IDK.

No. Banks are supposed to monitor activity and report anything suspicious to AFIP, BCRA...but generally they would reach out to you if they think something sketchy is going on. Moneygram deposits to my account post as coming from "another account under my name", which makes me think MG create some sort of a "virtual" account for the transfer...IDK.
I recently accidentally sent transfers to the same account that my moneygrams come from. I thought I was sending them to my other personal account but was being a dummy.

The cvu that the mg comes from is a bank called Remitee based out of Buenos Aires and somewhere in Chile. If you do some research online you can find that they have reached a business agreement with MG to service south America.

I did have an account in my name but was unable to log into their website. I was able to contact them and, over the course of 4 days and many messages back and forth to prove it was me, the sent all my pesos back.... I was relieved.

I recently accidentally sent transfers to the same account that my moneygrams come from. I thought I was sending them to my other personal account but was being a dummy.

The cvu that the mg comes from is a bank called Remitee based out of Buenos Aires and somewhere in Chile. If you do some research online you can find that they have reached a business agreement with MG to service south America.

I did have an account in my name but was unable to log into their website. I was able to contact them and, over the course of 4 days and many messages back and forth to prove it was me, the sent all my pesos back.... I was relieved.
So you were sending money from UK or US to your Argentine account? Or were you trying to send pesos out to UK/ US?

So you were sending money from UK or US to your Argentine account? Or were you trying to send pesos out to UK/ US?
Money from us account to Arg account. Never tried to send any in the opposite direction.

Did my first transfer with MoneyGram. (Seemed like a good time to try, in case WU has suddenly decided not to be competitive.)
  • Transferred using debit card.
  • Received funds in Banco Nacion in an hour. That was pretty cool.
I went back to the MG web page and noticed a couple things (probably already mentioned here back when people started using MG).
  • The fee for using the debit card is $1.99 (from US) regardless of the amount (so you get a higher effective transfer rate if you transfer more money at once).
  • When I started to do a second transfer, it told me I'd receive the money by July 12! Probably because I'm new and untrusted and had just done a transfer an hour before. Fortunately, I didn't really need to do another transfer now; I was just exploring.
  • They let me do the first transfer without ID, but when I logged back in, I needed to upload a photo of my passport (there are other ID options in case you're wondering, but the only IDs I have are passport and DNI).
  • Their system didn't like the photo of my passport that I had on my computer, so I had to dig out my passport and take another photo of it, which, after a few minutes, they finally accepted.
It's nice to have a plan B.

Can MoneyGram transfers be made form a US debit card to a local Bank Account, Caja de Ahorros ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Expat Life 16
Artur Expat Life 0
A Expat Life 0
P Expat Life 4
Y Expat Life 14
Back