Monsanto In Argentina

It is funny that Al Jazeera now spreads the words of wisdom.

The depth of the logic is that since usage of genetically modified soya has increased, and number of children born with malformations has increased, so that must be it. There is no doubts about that.

Here is a video of a presentation of Andrés Carrasco - a scientist, who is mentioned in the article.

It is pretty long, so I'll provide you with a summary as I understand it. When injected into frog embryotic cells, glyphosate causes deformations apparently via increasing concentration of retinoid acid / Vitamin A. There were no experiments on humans, but he suspects that glyphosate can get in by inhaling (and not from "what we eat"). Vitamin A is widely used in acne and wrinkle creams and is linked to birth defects.

Paco/cocain paste consumption has also increased in the area over the last years. And it is also known to cause birth defects. But who cares, blame the bloody imperialists.

Thanks so much for posting this. It would be great to see this far more pressing issue on the front page of Clarín, as the first topic in CFK's discourses, or as the reason for a cacerolazo, but I'm not holding my breath.

It_05c075_754640.jpg

Monsanto is criminal....NOT for GMO seeds, [all seeds are GMO at some point in their evolution] They produce Round UP and the only reason they modify their shity seeds is to withstand the massive doses of Round UP that are required to grow soy ....after you sell your soul to the Chinese and plow your orchards under. However the following is a quote from the article which states that Round Up is a pesticide. It is not. [it's worse]
"The company’s genetically-modified seed was designed to withstand their glyphosate-based pesticide, Round-up, which is routinely used in huge quantities across the country".

I think my top-of-the-list problems with Mansanto are that they're using their weight to change legislation to their favor, abdicating responsibility for the effects of their genetic modifications, avoiding labeling of foods as GMO, and trying to gain a monopoly on the most basic rights of ownership of things like seeds - even seeds not bought from them that have only been pollinated by plants from neighboring fields. That they can sue farmers for this is insane. It should be the other way around - the farmers should be suing on the grounds that monsanto's stinking gmo plants raped and polluted healthy organic plants with their untested genetic garbage.

I guess you do not understand the scale of all this. 90% of crops in the USA are genetically modified. Have you heard about wide spread "devastating malformations in children" that were caused by it? Was this information suppressed by Monsanto agents? Are Argentines more susceptible? Or is it a political garbage fed to you by the same people who nationalized YPF?

I don't know the effects, and I don't believe you do either, but we do know that they managed to change legislation so that gmo foods are not subject to normal fda testing. The unintended ripple effect could be very long term, with the problems already here, the causal connection not realized, or changes that don't show up for generations. We are basically making significant and permanent changes to the genetic makeup of our food supply, something quite different from the natural and gradual evolutionary changes in dna which take place within a species. Monsanto knows, using their revolving door into key government positions, that if there are unintended repercussions, they will get nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Just another giant filling their purse in our too-big-to-fail culture.

However there cannot be any doubt right now that they are clearly overstepping their bounds in creating a monopoly on food. I would consider the right to grow food, gather seeds, etc, a part of our natural heritage as human beings. Controlling that is like claiming ownership of the atmosphere and charging people to breathe.

Back