Monthly Book Club Meeting

I'm adding another book to my lend/trade pile. Will bring them all tonight to the Monthly Book Club Meeting. See you tonight at 7pm!

Life_zpscf284f8f.jpg

Life As We Knew It. Paperback. If you think that import restrictions and no access to Dollars is tough wait until an asteroid hits the moon. As corny as the premise sounds I actually enjoyed this. Lessons in how to survive when the grid you live on goes dark.

High school sophomore Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when an asteroid knocks the moon closer to Earth, like "one marble hits another." The result is catastrophic. How can her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis are wiping out the coasts, earthquakes are rocking the continents, and volcanic ash is blocking out the sun? As August turns dark and wintery in northeastern Pennsylvania, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove. Told in a year’s worth of journal entries, this heart-pounding story chronicles Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all—hope—in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world. An extraordinary series debut! Susan Beth Pfeffer has written three companion novels to Life As We Knew It, including The Dead and the Gone, This World We Live In, and The Shade of the Moon.

And here it is, our Book of the month for September. International best selling author translated into over 50 languages, H. Murakami's latest book: "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage". and no, you don't have to be able to say his name correctly to join in our fun!
We welcome our 2nd Murakami Book in a year...why? Because we like to be cool and hip and when he gets that much buzzed about Noble Prize in literature we can say "well you saw him here!"
Next meeting: Wednesday September 24 at 7:00 in Recoleta
RSVP: first 12 respondents here with pot luck offerings (BYOB)
?s: here's the place or PM me

image.jpgimage.jpg

And look what we get to eat after? Apple pie with a fabulous crust, courtesy of grandma GS Dirtboys recipe!

Quick reminder for any curious members, there is still enough time to download and read Murakami's #2 New York Times best selling Book: "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki" and then join us for a stimulating and fun filled evening of drink,conversation, and gluttony, Wednesday the 24 of September at 7:00.
We are a very friendly and diverse group of people who enjoy meeting new people and exchanging opinions. The book of the month provides a platform from which the conversation diverges, and there are always people present who have not completed the book or who only read a summary. Never fear because the book discussion questions (which are only a PART of our evening) are geared to themes or topics touched on in the book but not necessarily exclusive to the book itself.
So please feel welcome to join us. Just download or buy the book (or even a review) and RSVP your interest on this thread along with what you'd like to bring for the potluck dinner that follows the "formal" part of the meeting. I'll respond with the address in a private message if you've never been. Happy Spring (almost!)

Back