Monthly Book Club Meeting

Hi Jack, fellow new yorker! thanks for your kind offer. but I've been using my home as the venue for over a year and it contributes to the warm, low key, intimate atmosphere that I feel is a strength of the book club (not MY house in particular, haha, but having it take place in a residence rather than a business...
Also INTEGRAL to our book discussion is our famous pot luck that follows, and I suspect that would be incompatible with a restaurants codes!!!
Certainly Jack, you are always welcome to come to our meetings (last wednesday of every month) and find out for yourself about our (not so closely guarded) secret.....
And anyone else out there reading this! all it takes is a posting saying you want to make an RSVP for the meeting, and OILA! if there's enough space, and youre willing to bring a main dish to contribute, you'll see whats its all about!

Hi everyone,
I just recieved this link from traveling book club members Tomatakai (Tom and Nancy) on an interview given by Andy Weir, author of a former book club selection "The Martian"...Here is the link:

http://twit.tv/show/triangulation/163

Meanwhile we are busy reading "Honor Bound" by W.B.D.Griffith in preparation for our August meeting on Wednesday August 27 at 7:00 at my place in Recoleta.
If you are a returning book club member and want to join us at this meeting just RSVP below stating the dish you'll be bringing for the pot luck.
If you've never been and want to come, with or without having read the book, please let me know by posting your interest here and I'll get back to you with the address via PM. This is free to all BAexpat members and their families. The only requirement is you bring a dish for our pot luck dinner and any alcohol you want to drink. Space is limited so the RSVP is necessary.
See you all in about 10 days!

That's the night I fly to the U.S. for a visit, so I won't be able to make it this time. Have fun!

Looking forward to the Book Club Meeting next Wednesday, August 27th. (Rich One, I'm bringing something for you!)

I do have some books to trade if anyone is interested. I will bring them to the Book Club Meeting.

SummerMoon_zps5771a6c3.jpg

Empire of The Summer Moon. Softback. Documentary of Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of The Comanches. Excellent read.

Heart_zpsdf52d70f.jpg

The Heart of Everything That Is. Hardback. The story of Red Cloud and the Sioux war against white encroachment into Wyoming, Montanta, Kansas, and the Dakotas. As engrossing as Empire of The Summer Moon and an even better read. Follows the Indian wars leading up to, during, and after the American Civil War including the development of the Oregon and Bozeman Trails, Red Cloud's ability to bring together warring Indian Nations, and resolves with the Fetterman Massacre, the worst battlefield loss for the US Army and forced the US Government to sue for peace. Page turner.

cutting_zps6efb852f.jpg

The Cutting Season. Softback. Murder mystery set in the Antebellum south in the swamps and cane fields of Louisiana.

left_zpsec3c364f.jpg

Turn Left At The Trojan Horse. Softback. One man's journey of self-discovery across the USA in a motor home. Very interesting if you like Greek mythology

GS

Honor Bound is a great saga, and so fun to recognize the places sited! But it is LONG! Doubt that I'll have it finished for our meeting...but I'm trying! thanks for the reccomendation GS!

Hi folks,
The AUGUST meeting of the Baexpats Book Club will be this Wednesday, August 27 at 7:00pm in Recoleta. We will be discussing W,E.B.Griffiths "Honor Bound" with its wonderful descriptions of BsAs life during WWII.

The first part of the meeting is introductions, then about an hours conversation related to themes generated from the book, but not limited to the book itself. So one may not have read the book but could still actively participate. (There are also many very good summaries of our book club books available for free on line for those that weren't able to read them). The final hour of the meeting is dedicated to our fabulous pot luck dinners--one of the best kept culinary secrets in BA! NEWCOMERS ARE WELCOME! We have been proudly operating for over a year with the support of Baexpats. This is a great way to meet other English speakers and expats in a social/intellectual environment. We are an age and ethnically diverse group.

If you'd like to come and want more info please post here with your potluck contribution or send me a PM. I'll then send you the exact address. For our regulars, could you post your meal contribution for our planning and RSVP purposes?
Thanks and looking forward to seeing you Wednesday!

Back