Montserrat - good place to stay?

stickattack

Registered
Hola todos...

I'm coming to bsas in May and am looking at a place to stay in Montserrat - Mexico and Pres Luis Saenz Pena.

I was in bsas a few years ago, in San Telmo and a bit in Palermo. I liked them both but have found a cheap place in Montserrat.

Can anyone tell me what this area is like? I'm going to be writing an article/book on street art.

gracias in advance

jc

Certanly it's one of "the" centralized core areas of BA city..

Montserrat fué el primer barrio que tuvo la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, en 1769 se legalizó el mismo.
En este rincón se puede ver edificios que muestran gran parte de la historia de nuestro país.

Montserrat was the first "barrio" (district or neighborhood) of Buenos Aires in 1769 was legalised as a "barrio".

In this picture is possible to see the buildings that show part of the history of this city and land.

monserrat2bb3.jpg

link to pictures: flickr-El primer barrio de la city porteña.by. Adri porteña

monserrat1ls6.jpg

MICROCENTRO (El Centro)

The neighborhoods of San Nicolás and Montserrat are collectively known as the microcentro. The center of Buenos Aires is the busiest quarter with close connections to tourist attractions such as the Obelisk, Avenida de Mayo, Plaza de Mayo, Florida Shopping Street, Congress, and Plaza San Martin. This area contains the business and financial district as well as many shops, restaurants, cinemas, parks, plazas, monuments and government buildings. Here, Eva Peron fans can visit the Casa Rosada in the Plaza de Mayo, from which Evita made many of her famous speeches.

monserratdb5.jpg

Wikimapia.org-maps-Montserrat-

montserrat-buenos-aires.jpg

Montserrat, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Cheers

Beautiful photographs, Lucas; thanks for posting them here.

Monserrat is a beautiful neighbourhood with some of the best architecture of Buenos Aires but this also comes with a warning sign . Crime is on the rise there and is drug use creating unsavoury situations for locals and expats alike.

For safety the best neighbourhoods are Colegiales, Belgrano, Barrio Norte, Recoleta and Puerto Madero. I would also recommend Caballito and some parts of Palermo especially Palermo Nuevo and Alto Palermo.

Thanks Lucas and Pericles, that's very helpful.

Does anyone know what that end of Montserrat is like? I mean, are there many cafes and bars, shops, etc.?

cheers,

jc

stickattack said:
Thanks Lucas and Pericles, that's very helpful.

Does anyone know what that end of Montserrat is like? I mean, are there many cafes and bars, shops, etc.?

cheers,jc

stickattack,
Suspect wanted in walking-stick attack turns himself in
Hope you are using the stick just for walking. :)

Anyway, do not worry about "are there many cafes and bars, shops, etc" there are plenty around, BA IS a cafe, bar, pizzeria, restaurant, shops, etc all around you, does not matter which way are you going or stay always you will be close to any of them.

stickattack said:

Besides Plaza Mayor with several good restaurants (one is shown on the very first picture above), I am afraid there is nothing remarkable about the area (if you are not into the architecture that is). Constitution barrio is only two blocks away. I believe if you'd say that you are planning to stay in Constitution, many people here would try to convince you not to do it. As to Monserrat - yeah, it may work for a frugal person. If you picture yourself sitting in a cafe with a laptop having your morning coffee, this part of the city is definitely not the place. For bars you will have to walk to San Telmo. I guess that after walking from there a couple of times at night, you will start taking a taxi.

Monserrat is a good place for staying in Buenos Aires as well, there you will get the real Buenos Aires and you have good transportation everywhere. It's close to Microcentro and yes, yo do have cafes, pizerias and everything is cheaper that fancies palermo and recoleta. I personally liked it, is very urban and the part I love the most is Corrientes and Callao with all the theatres and the night life (not bars, but interesting night life).

Good luck

iwill said:
the part I love the most is Corrientes and Callao with all the theatres and the night life

Neither Corrientes nor Callao are in Montserrat. Monserrat starts on the other side of Rivadavia.

http://www.aquimontserrat.com.ar/mapa.htm

In my opinion downtown area is OK, Ave de Mayo is OK as well, but if you are coming as a tourist you need very good reasons to stay in the left quadrant (bordered by, say, Hipolito Yrigoyen and Lima).

I personally would not move there. Thats my own opinion though. At night its is totally isolated and can be rather dangerous. Also it can be really loud and sticky.If you do not want the glitzy world of palermo you can move to caballito or almagro which is certainly less touristy. I also feel like that in terms of street art you might be better placed in the last one (almagro or certainly palermo in some areas)

Back