Mosquito Madness

Ailujjj said:
I will give the itch-minimizing tricks a try but really, in my case the itching isn't the problem - it's that they remain swollen and blotchy for days. Hopefully with time my reactions to mosquitos there will become more along the lines of how I react here - intense but fleeting.

Try an antihistimine. You're having an allergic reaction, the anti-histimine should bring down the swelling as well. They don't just work for sinuses, they work for all your histimine blockers.

Oh, for the person who was sunburnt, this goes for you too! Anti-histimines can help reduce the initial flare up and burning sensation of a sunburn -- it's not going to make it go away, there is actual damage and natural swelling in the region that is burnt, but again when you get a sunburn your body essentially has an allergic reaction, so an antihistimine is supposed to at least make you a little bit more comfortable.

The other thing that I've heard works for a sunburn is aspirin, it's an anti-coagulent so supposedly if taken right after you've burnt it can reduce the level of the burn somewhat.

Aloe Vera works wonders for sunburn. If Aloe Vera is the main ingredient in the lotion that is.

markbsas said:
I also saw some kind of citronella bracelet or something when I was in line at Walmart. Didn't buy it so I have no idea if that one works.

I bought this in Belgium, it was very expensive and it didn't help...

Horrible smelling and gross, but works really well is Skin So Soft by Avon. I don't know if or where you can buy it here.

Organic and effective is catnip plant (don't know what it's called here or if you can buy it here) in a blender with water sprayed on the skin and clothing and sheets.

Also, you MUST make sure there is no standing water near your windows, on your patios or even near your home, and walking around outside on the terrace of your home with a small towel and smacking all the ones you see and not cleaning it up helps. What you are literally doing is littering your outdoor area with dead mosquito carcasses which mosquitoes naturally find off putting.

Travel or live with someone who gets bit worse than you do, there is a chemical all humans have some of that they are attracted to and whatever person in the group has the most lights up like a Christmas tree to them. I usually get it the worst but we a nice party one night on our terrace and one of the guests was dinner that night. Poor thing, but she gave me a break.

They do sell citronella candles but they are stupid expensive. I've seen medium size ones, you'd need 4 minimum for a large terrace and they'd last less than a week, for $50 each! I don't know where they're imported from but clearly they are because that's nuts.

Another great thing I've heard of, but never done, is to study up on which plants dragon flies are attracted to because they eat the mosquitoes.

Suerte....

HotYogaTeacher said:
Horrible smelling and gross, but works really well is Skin So Soft by Avon. I don't know if or where you can buy it here.

There are Avon shops all over the city, just go to their website to see. Off the top of my head there is one in Belgrano off of Cabildo possibly on Juramento but it's been awhile so I can't remember exactly. There's another on Rivadavia in Caballito near jose maria moreno, and there's a third that I can remember off hand that is on Sta Fe somewhere between Pueyrredon and Callao I think. Sorry I can't get more specific than that, just look on the website (it's probably .com.ar)

Back