Most Comfortable Flight To Europe?

I witnessed the same when flying from Rome to Buenos Aires, and it was my first trip to Argentina. That our of boarding was like a revelation of the Argentinian craze without even having to take off from Italy. I would define Argentinian (or Italo-Argentinain) as geometrically optimistic.

Have to say i`ve flown to some 30 odd countries in my life , with some 8 trips to Argentina and it always brings a (perplexed) smile to my face how Argentines travel.
Theres the queue for the gate 45 minutes before its open as if the seating on the plane is on a first come first serve basis. Its then you realise its every man, woman ,child and dog for themselves on this flight. And the queue always goes straight across the main lounge concourse preventing anyone from passing through unless you ask nicely which is greeted with a look of distrust that you`re actually only trying to steal their position in the queue.

Once on the plane you always seem to get sat next to the person next to the window with the worlds largest elbows and a bladder the size of a pea who insist they will make themselves as comfortable as possible on this flight regardless of your own personal space. I did once wake up on a flight with a feeling of a heavy weight on me to find the teenage girl next to me asleep , mouth open and dribbling on my shoulder. I kept that quiet from the wife.

Then as the wheels touchdown on the tarmac the collective sound of 300 clattering seatbelts being released followed by the mad scramble for the overhead lockers , only to be told to sit right back down by the air stewards until the plane stops, and the round of applause when the pilot announces they have landed in Argentina. Are they applauding the pilot for his flying skills ,god for getting them there safetly or the welcome news that they are back in their homeland and the thought of a decent meal of milanesa and none of the foreign crap theyve had to put up with??? Perhaps all of the above. Once the plane has properly stopped theres the queue in the aisles for 20minutes to get off the plane which if your stupid enough to be still sitting in your seat when it starts moving you have to try and force your way into eventually because they dont stop for nobody.

Once inside the terminal theres the free for all baggage reclaim , where everyone stands right next to the conveyor belt entrance to save valuable seconds getting their luggage and insist on placing their trolleys right up against the conveyor belts so nobody else can steal their spot. And finally, once through customs theirs a huge risk of a broken ankle from rear ending trolleys as people suddenly slam on the brakes to stop and hug,kiss and have a photo taken with each of the 100 strong horde/welcoming party of family ,friends, that guy who works in their local kiosko, who are really only there to make sure the iphone,laptop,tablet or camera they asked for arrived home safely.

johnw100 - Thanks for explaining what that was about! I witnessed something amazingly similar to just what you described upon my arrival at EZE, and had no clue what it was about. I actually just sat in my seat until the crush in the aisles abated, and wound up being dead last at immigration, baggage claims, and customs. Still, it all worked out OK; I was too tired to be impatient.

I have been flying internationally for over 40 years and have been to over 150 countries. Between Argentina and Europe, these are my ratings and commebts about the airline doing these routes at this moment:IN REGULAR ECONOMY CLASS
BAD:
Aerolineas Argentinas CRAP! bad food, surly and indifferent service, flights massively delayed and cancelled
IBERIA: like taking a shuttle service between Madrid and Barcelona, often with YOU SUDACA attitudes(Sudaca is a very derogatory nickname to S Americans!)
AIR EUROPE: only one I have done for a reason of the so many negative comments
PASSABLE:
ALITALIA crowded, screaming kids, screaming adults, indifferent staff, bad "Italian"food, SCUZI NO C'E PIU!(sorry, we dont have any more!)
DECENT:
BRITISH AIRWAYS normally fine, good in flight entertainment, staff varies, LHR awaits you if you are in transit :( put your running shoes on!
LUFTHANSA: predictable, alles in ordnung and you VILL like it! very professional
KLM: Friendly, on time, loved their day flight
AIR FRANCE not bad, professional but watch out for the famous GREVES(strikes) you might get out of BA but if you're going further, it can be a hairpulling experience; CDG is horrible for transfers
GOOD:
TURKISH: a great choice but not practical if not going to southern Europe or Middle East, Asia or Africa The way I'd go if I could!
There are also many choices such as TAM, TAP,SWISS,LAN etc which involves normally change of planes in Brazil or Chile
Going via the USA is for the insane as this makes the flight a 2 nighter as well as dealing with US immigration and customs EVEN IF YOU ARE IN DIRECT TRANSIT! Plus, no US airline , sad to say, is good these days and who wants to pay for each glass of wine or other small services offered for free on most other non low cost airlines!
If I could fly Emirates, Qatar, Turkish, Singapore or Thai everywhere, that's where I'd be!
Bon Voyage!

I witnessed the same when flying from Rome to Buenos Aires, and it was my first trip to Argentina. That our of boarding was like a revelation of the Argentinian craze without even having to take off from Italy. I would define Argentinian (or Italo-Argentinain) as geometrically optimistic.

I honestly dont remember anything similar. Maybe I was lucky, or Im equally crazy and just didnt notice.

Japan is hiring any nationality pilots. There are large availability for a pilot to find a very high paying job in Japan due to the proliferation of the LLC ( low cost carrier ) but at the same time attracting somewhat rusty pilots returning from their retirements. The odds are : 6.7 Airline pilot's job available per qualified pilots !

The other day, the Air Do AL, one of the emerging LLC had its flight landing to Okinawa's Naha Airport then piloted by an Argentinean who started its descent way before by a few kilometre ! ...Almost seen the replication of Korean air capitan named, Mr. way to low, crash tail landing in SFO airport of yore.

The Argentinean pilot were put inmediately off the active flights. When the control tower detected that the plane was coming in too low warned its capitain that low altitude buzzer was on going! The Argie capitain argued that he thought he heard go ahead to start landing descent. However, when Ok given from the tower, one always has to repeat phrase such. OK tower, I'am on approach to descending preparing to land...

So the demand for high number of any nationality pilots from the LCC operating in Japan has opened the flood gate for many rusty or not too good skilled pilots to enter air transportation game there in Japan.

Any expat in here retired commercial air pilot ? Want to come to Japan, the pay is way to good. Any co-pilots can fetch over US$100k per year easily plus bonuses, so you know if captains way higher than that, and the usual spiffs on top, more fringe benefits ! And the Olympic is still six years away...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e6a_1404725652

Someone was watching the world cup...

I've recently (a week ago) flown Madrid-Buenos Aires on IBERIA (booked it as it was the cheapest). I was dreading it because of the horror stories, but I have to say that it wasn't bad at all.

Yes, the stewardesses are kinda grumpy compared to the ones of KLM (which I normally fly with), but it seems they recently upgraded all the planes, as we all had super new individual TV screens (including USB charger in the screen to charge phones/tablets) and comfy seats etc. The food wasn't bad either. Overall a good experience for the low price (was at least 400 euros cheaper than any other airline)

I've recently (a week ago) flown Madrid-Buenos Aires on IBERIA (booked it as it was the cheapest). I was dreading it because of the horror stories, but I have to say that it wasn't bad at all.

Yes, the stewardesses are kinda grumpy compared to the ones of KLM (which I normally fly with), but it seems they recently upgraded all the planes, as we all had super new individual TV screens (including USB charger in the screen to charge phones/tablets) and comfy seats etc. The food wasn't bad either. Overall a good experience for the low price (was at least 400 euros cheaper than any other airline)
Agree. Iberia are using their upgraded 340-600's on the BA-Madrid route. Thankfully less crying children as well.

Back