Most Traditional City

Mr. Schmidt, if you're set upon Argentina, do indeed pay attention to Salta capital. It's a large, progressive city, but more conservative in its progressivism than any other that I know of in this country: decent dress, social deference, careful and cautious. Telling may be that a radical Peronist of my acquaintance (think so-called "liberal Democrat" in the United States, though the comparison is poor) brands the entire province of Salta "feudal".

I talked to a conservative looking women who works for LAN Airlines today about the obvious signs of cultural decay that I see Bariloche. She agrees and does not care for Bariloche. She is from Corrientes which she says is much better. She says Salta is a nice place to visit but not a good place to live. Reading about it, it sounds a lot like Mexico. She said Mendoza is also good and that Mar del Plata is bad. I didn't have a chance to ask about other places (since she was working there selling tickets and other people were waiting). I looked up Corrientes and it is a bit far and a bit hot, so I am not sure I will make it there. I think maybe non-tourist cities like Paraná may be worth a try.

Those here who think one dimensionally, from progressive to conservative, may have trouble understanding what I am looking for. That is why I asked a very simple initial question about they way people dress. But the responses seem to indicate a lack of understanding, so I will try to briefly explain. I am not looking for a "feudal" culture. Feudalism is what happens about 100 years after body piercings and tattoos, as civil society collapses and only a few retain feudal power. If you go to a museum, you will undoubtedly notice that all the high points of civilization share a certain classical look which is simple and clean. As society decays, the classical look is lost. This is happening now. Those of you want to participate in the decline of Western culture are welcome to, and I will not criticize you for it. But I do not want my family to participate in this, which is why I would prefer to live in a place that is as far behind in this process of decay as possible. And this can be most easily judged by the appearance of the people, as I have described.

Why not try some smaller towns? You might be lucky enough to find what you are looking for.

If you want to get away from the things you mention you might have to drop your preferred population from 100,000 to maybe 10,000 or 1000. Despite the invention of TV and the internet you will be able to find very traditional Argentines who will kiss you when you arrive.

TIP: Carry a sack of carrots, the gaucho horses love them, don't spoil their teeth with sugar lumps.

fschmidt said:
. . . . Those here who think one dimensionally, from progressive to conservative, may have trouble understanding what I am looking for. That is why I asked a very simple initial question about they way people dress. . . .
I believe that I understand precisely what you seek, and I empathize. I mentioned the reputation that Salta has in at least one circle to add a dimension to the suggestion; and I noted what that circle is, to allow you to assess the probability that Salta might accord with what you seek. Of course, Salta has its drawbacks: less "high culture" (though I decry the term, it refers to arts refined with active intellect as well as inspiration) and more tourists than I would wish, education not of a high order, too dry a climate, and other lacks. Nevertheless, I like the province and the capital.

Sadly, my own most comfortable cities -- fin de siècle Paris, for example, or even mid-twentieth-century London or New York -- simply no longer exist; the world is awash in mediocrity. So one makes do with what one has.

I stick by what I said, Vienna is a quiet, traditional city with polite people. It used to be extremely conservative but less so now, still better than most - traditional by world standards. Just about everyone under 50 speaks English. Switzerland is changing but it has always been conservative and rather closed. The Swiss are a discreet people who mind their own business, as are the Austrians. A LOT of Swiss also speak English, at least the young to younger middle aged people. These places were exactly what you were looking for - thirty or so years ago. There really isn't anything left anymore though. Globalization has changed everything. The truth is that aside from dress, some small towns in the US are more conservative socially than anywhere in Europe or South America. Have you considered Alaska?

fschmidt said:
... Of the 3 towns I have seen so far, Buenos Aires, Mendoza, and Bariloche, Mendoza seems the best.
Try San Juan, some 120,000 or San Rafael in the Mendoza province, some 180,000.

fschmidt said:
What is the city with the most traditional people in Argentina? I am looking for a place where tattoos, body piercings, and pants that appear to be falling down are as rare as possible. A place where tradition is preferred to "progressive" ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Come to think about it, tattoos and body piercings are very old, so you should probably go some 80,000 years back in time to avoid them.

fschmidt said:
What is the city with the most traditional people in Argentina? I am looking for a place where tattoos, body piercings, and pants that appear to be falling down are as rare as possible. A place where tradition is preferred to "progressive" ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What you are looking for is part of the allure of travel magazines. It does not exist. Or, at least I have not found it. Remember to rent when trying out a new place to live.

What you are looking for is 50 years in the past. It is certainly not in Buenos Aires which is filled with tattoos and body piercings that is only obvious in the summer season. But, I hope that you find it. And, when you do, I would like to know where it is. My guess is that if such a place does exist in Argentina it is not publicized so as not to ruin what they have. Good luck in your quest.

Back