'Motoquero' stole my phone today :( Need a new one ASAP!

Keep your eyes in ears open. Whenever I here a motorcycle I look around to see where it is, and If I'm not already near the wall, I step further from the street.
I may have been lucky so far, but I am also very aware of my surroundings. If I have an inklling something isn't right, I step into the nearest store front or apartment alcove. I don't rwrite texts or talk on the phone out in the open, even though mine is cheap as well. My touch screen from the states is packed up with my suitcase.

I have had some instances late at night returning from milongas where it appeared as though someone was sizing me up. I would step into an apartment alcove as if I lived there and stood silently for a moment and they moved on. I have particulary loud heeled boots, that announce my presence, if I am somewhere I don't particularly want to be noticed, I walk on my toes.

As far as my bag, though milongas tend to be safer than most places I think, I still out the straps of my bag hooked around the leg of the table. When i walk I keep it away from the street side, or carry it on my chest. The bag i carry is a 10 year old gray polo tote (i even make sure the polo name is facing me). As with my touch screen phone, my beautiful new coach bag that I bought just before coming here, has not seen the "good airs", it's been packed away.

I lived in NY for 10 years, DC for 5 before that (when it was still the murder capital) No those cities aren't as bad, the principle defenses are similar, just amplified. You just have to be aware and don't make yourself a target. Watch where you are speaking English (or even spanish if your accent is bad), if someone asks you for the time shake your head and keep moving. If you see a group that looks like they are up to no good, cross the street, take the long way. You don't have to live in a bubble, just listen to your instincts, they usually know what they are talking about.
Despite all of that I still love this town and have no intentions of leaving in the near future.
Good Luck!

RogueTango said:
Keep your eyes in ears open. Whenever I here a motorcycle I look around to see where it is, and If I'm not already near the wall, I step further from the street.
I may have been lucky so far, but I am also very aware of my surroundings. If I have an inklling something isn't right, I step into the nearest store front or apartment alcove. I don't rwrite texts or talk on the phone out in the open, even though mine is cheap as well. My touch screen from the states is packed up with my suitcase.

I have had some instances late at night returning from milongas where it appeared as though someone was sizing me up. I would step into an apartment alcove as if I lived there and stood silently for a moment and they moved on. I have particulary loud heeled boots, that announce my presence, if I am somewhere I don't particularly want to be noticed, I walk on my toes.

As far as my bag, though milongas tend to be safer than most places I think, I still out the straps of my bag hooked around the leg of the table. When i walk I keep it away from the street side, or carry it on my chest. The bag i carry is a 10 year old gray polo tote (i even make sure the polo name is facing me). As with my touch screen phone, my beautiful new coach bag that I bought just before coming here, has not seen the "good airs", it's been packed away.

I lived in NY for 10 years, DC for 5 before that (when it was still the murder capital) No those cities aren't as bad, the principle defenses are similar, just amplified. You just have to be aware and don't make yourself a target. Watch where you are speaking English (or even spanish if your accent is bad), if someone asks you for the time shake your head and keep moving. If you see a group that looks like they are up to no good, cross the street, take the long way. You don't have to live in a bubble, just listen to your instincts, they usually know what they are talking about.
Despite all of that I still love this town and have no intentions of leaving in the near future.
Good Luck!

Pfff, I am happy I dont have to do all those things, almost sounds like a job

Either way, buy some cheap shoes or sandals for your walk home if your scared about that

RenataK said:
I never thought of Buenos Aires as a city where urban violence was a big issue.

No-one on this thread has said anything about violence...

Gringoboy said:
That would be Macri, who was travelling in his official car, stuck in traffic so he flagged down a motorcyclist who delivered him to his next appointment.
When interviewed later, he said he had flagged down a 'motochorro.'
But the best part of the story is that when he arrived at Retiro on the back of the bike he was promptly booked for not wearing a helmet! PMSL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Macri trying to make pillion-riding illegal within Capital Federal (for exactly the reason discussed in this thread)? Breaking his own would-be law - nice!

Hi linis,

I m really apologize for the misunderstanding of today and thank you for the clarifying. I just posted the link of Samsumg website, but the model of the cellphone that I m offering is not the one which you first saw on the site. Sorry!

Regards,

kleine

It seems maybe my posting of the Samsung Galaxy S picture caused some confusion.

For the record the Galaxy S unlocked would cost around $ 650 USD or about 2600 pesos

Back