'Motoquero' stole my phone today :( Need a new one ASAP!

linis

Registered
Hi,

I'd heard lots of stories about these 'motoqueros' and all I've got to say is that they're extremely fast!!!

It wasn't a very good day for me :( I felt completely hopeless:mad: I'll get over it....probably tomorrow :D

Is anyone selling a mobile that works here?
(Preferably movistar)

Thanks!

linis said:
Hi,

I'd heard lots of stories about these 'motoqueros' and all I've got to say is that they're extremely fast!!!

It wasn't a very good day for me :( I felt completely hopeless:mad: I'll get over it....probably tomorrow :D

Is anyone selling a mobile that works here?
(Preferably movistar)

Thanks!
oh dear,sorry to hear that.where were you?:mad:

I was running late for a class around Corrientes & Esmeralda(downtown) and I stopped for a few seconds to send a text to my student in order to let him know that I was nearly there :( I texted 'be there in 2 mins' and when I was pressing send the 'motoquero' grabbed my hand and phone... I felt soooooooo mad and hopeless!!! All I could yell was Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! My phone contacts!!!! You $%&@#$^&(!!!!

My God - Will they steal your teeth if you chew too slow?

Coming next week to BA. Do I need to carry a gun? I live in Mexico (yes Mexico). Nothing like this here, only cartels, beheadings and things like that.

The good thing - they only kill themselfs not the expats!

Linis, sorry this happened to you. I would suggest for your next phone you buy a phone with an OS you can sync. Android allows you to keep all your information and contacts on Google's cloud servers. What that means is, if your phone get stolen, you simply change your passwords and you log into your new phone with your account and new passwords and " PRESTO " all was as before. You just lose out on the cost of the cell phone, but your information remains intact.

-------------------------------------------------

Cruizes

Don't walk around texting or making calls, especially in the microcentro, unless you look rugged. They will steal from foreigners and locals alike. I have even heard stories of people sitting in Restaurant patios and thieves just running right up and stealing things ( wallet cellphone purse etc ) from their table. Petty theft is a problem here but as long as you remain vigilant, you should be okay.

Carrying a gun to prevent a snatch and grab isn't a solution unless you want to spend 15 years in an Argentine prison if you end up using it.

Mace or pepper spray isn't a bad idea though. These " motochorros " are a real plague here but not as bad as what I hear is going on in Mexico.

Glad to hear it's not as bad as Mexico.

The main problems in Mexico are in Ciudad Juarez near El Paso but the news media likes to always stress MEXICO in general which freaks people out. I live in Rosarito Beach which is a 30 minute drive to San Diego. We have a reporter from San Diego that hates Mexico and will do whatever it takes to destroy what tourism we have left. He's doing a hell of a job - tourism down about 70 percent. I'll leave the guns home (haha) and just bring the Mace!

On my phone, I have a place to hook a lanyard. (I recommend a bright, highlighter yellow or green.) If I'm in a bar/club, I tie it to my jeans. If I'm walking down the street and have to make a call, I wrap it around my wrist. In other words, if you steal my phone, you're taking me with you, and we're both probably going down.

Reactions: tez
bradlyhale said:
On my phone, I have a place to hook a lanyard. (I recommend a bright, highlighter yellow or green.) If I'm in a bar/club, I tie it to my jeans. If I'm walking down the street and have to make a call, I wrap it around my wrist. In other words, if you steal my phone, you're taking me with you, and we're both probably going down.

If I need to do that for a phone I quit going out.

Either way, if you write down your numbers in something like a excell sheet and store in your comp/laptop you also have your numbers ready

qwerty said:
If I need to do that for a phone I quit going out.

Either way, if you write down your numbers in something like a excell sheet and store in your comp/laptop you also have your numbers ready

It's not that bad. ;) I haven't had a phone stolen from me since. I'm also a lot less paranoid. If packed in Line D like a sardine at 5:30 p.m., I don't even concern myself with frantically looking at and feeling my pockets, as I know the phone is safely attached to my jeans/pants. The same in a packed bar or whatever else.

Back