'Motoquero' stole my phone today :( Need a new one ASAP!

linis said:
I felt soooooooo mad and hopeless!!! All I could yell was Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! My phone contacts!!!! You $%&@#$^&(!!!!
This reminds me to back up my junk right now. Gracias y besos

qwerty said:
I have been here 5 years and never had my phone stolen, maybe you should consider yourself unlucky if it does happen and if you can't afford a fancy phone by a 150 peso phone

That way you don't have to walk around paranoid.

Knock on wood...

I can never tell, but I think I am just like, what the hell, shit happens and go on with more important things in life

* Knock on wood* indeed but I doubt it will happen to me(atleast in Microcentre during the day, at night in public places I keep my phone stored and I don't go to crappy place where I think that my phone might get stolen)

It can happen anywhere at anytime. They tried to do it to me a few weeks ago in Canitas. Being street-smart won't prevent it - unless you have eyes in the back of your head. And FWIW - in my case, the guy came up on the sidewalk, from behind me, middle of the afternoon with a cop standing a block away. It happens so fast, you usually have no time to react. (in my case, luckily, he didn't get my purse or my phone).

Sorry Lini and good luck with getting a new phone.

citygirl, you're exactly right. You can be as cautious as you want, but at the end of the day it all comes down to luck. You can only do so much to prevent this kind of stuff from happening.

I regret what happened the worst is to lose the contacts (I say this from experience) but hey so is in the center must be careful not only of motochorros but of little children calling in the street.
On the other hand I have a samsung free blakcjack 150usd.

Without ContractCamera: 1-2 MegapixelsBrand: SamsungFeatures: Internet BrowserModel: i617 BlackJack II

Style: Bar

Detailed item info

Product DescriptionEvolve the way you work, play and live introducing the next stage of the smartphone: the Samsung BlackJack II. It's a smart device that doesn't just keep up with you, it helps you get where you want to go in life faster, and in style. Powerfully advanced, it's also fashionably sleek and ultra-light, so you can multi-task, and multi-play, with considerable ease.
Additional FeaturesWorld Clock
DetailsWeight: 100 gVibrating Alert: Yes
DataInternet Browser: YesWireless Interface: Bluetooth 2.0
BatteryBattery: Lithium ionTalk Time: Up to 420 min

Ok, now I'm scared.

I mean, this is no news to me - I'm a Brazilian born and raised in Rio, and although I've never get mugged in 27 years here, the situation you described is really familiar to those I hear in Brazil.

Is it serious that I have to be careful texting/using wifi while in the streets? Because even in Rio I do that (not everywhere, of course), but I never thought of Buenos Aires as a city where urban violence was a big issue.

Stupid question, but I really need to know: do those things happen in Palermo/Recoleta/Las Cañitas too?

if you give them the chance, then yes it will happen...always err on the side of caution.If I,m walking and my fone rings I either ignore it or go into a cafe to answer..SAFETY FIRST...i drive a lot here in the Zona Norte,which includesTigre,Nordelta,Pacheco,Don Torcuato,etc,etc and I,ve never had a single problem...you,ll, 99% of the time,only hear negative stories about BA,believe me

It happened to me in Canitas (well the border of it). Middle of the day, on Maure and Libertador with doorman and people all around.

And Howard, you're right - but at the same time, I grew up in a big city and I would say I'm street smart. There is only so much you can do it mitigate risks.

If it hasn't happened to someone yet, it's probably just a question of time. One can and should be as careful as possible but look - in 3 years, everyone I know has been the victim of an attempt, except one. That says it all to me.

Back