Moved Here From California

Hi! I don't have much advice for you, but I am in kinda the same boat. Moved here from California and my spanish is terrible. I would love to meet some new people to make the transition a bit less lonely. So let me know if you are interested in meeting up!

Ditto the comments about learning Spanish. It's the only way you will ever feel at home here! Plus, getting out and doing things that interest you, whether it's tennis or yoga or whatever. I met a ton of people just going to classes of things that interested me. If you're looking for a way to improve your Spanish, there are a ton of recommendations here, but I studied with a private tutor named Adriana Crom, and she was a life changer.
Best of luck with your transition…you will get lots of great suggestions here.
Cheers!

Hey Eugenia

I just arrived here yesterday and also work from home.... I spend most of the year in living in Baja, Mexico and am thrilled to be away from our brutal summers so I will be here for the next few months. I am interested in meeting new people while here to explore the city. Let me know if you want to meet up.

Natalie

Hey Eugenia & Natalie - I also work from home and really need to get out more. Let's arrange something! I'm also from California (not originally) but was in SF for 15 years before here. Eugenia - I also spoke zero Spanish when I got here and eventually picked it up. Honestly, if I can do it anyone can…For me the key was learning in different ways - like a private tutor for a while, then a group class, then I got a dog and practiced a ton by going on tons of walks and interacting with people on the street. I feel your pain though - working from home makes it longer to learn and integrate. I'm still not fully integrated into the society here, but I'm OK with doing it slowly….

There's tons of activities to be enjoyed (most of them are free) in the city.
I suggest you visit this page (note there's a button on the menu bar that allows you to switch between spanish/english: http://agendacultural.buenosaires.gob.ar/
And look for their FB sites: Museos de Buenos Aires, BA creativa, Gobierno de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Manzana de las Luces, Eco Bici etc.

Ditto. Practice castellano as much as you can. And peruse the forum and the different threads and you'll find the answers to many questions you have as well as many, many people with experience offering all kinds of advice. It's the Lonely Planet Guide to BA.

Don't demean this forum by comparing it to a Kentucky tobacco baron's deteriorating hobbyhorse: http://tinyurl.com/bgvso4l

Hey Eugenia

I just arrived here yesterday and also work from home.... I spend most of the year in living in Baja, Mexico and am thrilled to be away from our brutal summers so I will be here for the next few months. I am interested in meeting new people while here to explore the city. Let me know if you want to meet up.

Natalie

If you're Mexican, congratz for your team during the WC!

Hi, I hven´t been on here in a while and just saw this. Natalie, I spent last year in Baja too! You all are right, working from home does make the transition slow. Whenever you guys want to get together email me.

Back