Moving From Los Angeles

You are sending $10,000.00 USD per mo? Seems a little heavy for BB expenses.

You are sending $10,000.00 USD per mo? Seems a little heavy for BB expenses.

No, silly ghost, that's ten thousand pesos. And I am presently only making one transfer of $5000 pesos per month. That's more than enough to pay ALL of my expenses: insurance, phone, internet, LP gas, electricity, property taxes, DirecTV, auto expenses, interest free cuotas for the purchase of a 40" TV, and food.

When I was transferring just under $10,000 pesos per month I was also buying items (mostly lamps, light fixtures, and decorative items on Mercado Libre) for the conversion of the galpon into an estancia guest house. I also bought some solid wood doors, antique cast iron rejas (security bars) for a window, a cast iron wood burning "salamandra" and other pre-owned items (calefactors and a calefon) locally.

No, silly ghost, that's ten thousand pesos. And I am presently only making one transfer of $5000 pesos per month. That's more than enough to pay ALL of my expenses: insurance, phone, internet, LP gas, electricity, property taxes, DirecTV, auto expenses, interest free cuotas for the purchase of a 40" TV, and food.

When I was transferring just under $10,000 pesos per month I was also buying items (mostly lamps, light fixtures, and decorative items on Mercado Libre) for the conversion of the galpon into an estancia guest house. I also bought some solid wood doors, antique cast iron rejas (security bars) for a window, a cast iron wood burning "salamandra" and other pre-owned items (calefactors and a calefon) locally.
I know you live a moderate and managed life style so 10K USDs a month was quite curious. Like why bring surplus into Argentina. Now I see. [however I would put a riding mower on my shopping list, considering size of your back yard, on second thought, no, it's good cardio]

Hi everyone!

I am from Los Angeles, and will be moving to BA in August. I have never been, but I am really excited to be living some place where the people are so passionate about where they live.

Can't wait to get there, and hope I make a few friends on this site.

Anyways just thought I would come and say hello and introduce myself.

Buenos Aires is fantastic dont let some of these negitive nellies tell you otherwise
Ive lived here for 4 or 5 years and I can tell you that porteños are some of the nicest people Ive ever met
they are very understanding if you need dirrections and some will spend 10 minutes or more to help you if you get lost or even walk you to where you need to go if you dont understand.
there are cute coffees everywhere and tiny and not so tiny theaters and art nestles in every corner
Im not sure if your comming to live or if your only coming for a visit but Argentina is a great country

rorhoq, I like the culture. from the museums, the architecture, and the way people interact with each other. the passion or all things good bad. having medical care that does not break the bank. being able to get medicine without a doctors prescription. learning and using a second language. being able to find people to exercise with outside close to home in the park system. and finally the buenos aires.

I'm the infamous BF of stargatefix. Thank you very much for the responses. It is interesting reading, honestly, the range of reactions from people who accept the country for what it is, still love it, or are so bitter or negative about living in BA. Not to seem too crass, but I am honestly interesed in what makes you stay in a place you seem to despise.
As an exercise, I've been reading expat forums for people living in Los Angeles, and you get pretty much the same response: "Sprawling, congested, smog, traffic, not my cup of tea", "concrete, traffic, ghetto, noise, overrated"...etc are actual quotes. You can pretty much fill in the blank of American cities, and you will find the same sentiment.
Also, if you watch the news or listen to people speak, you would think we are in the middle of the Apocalypse...that things have never been as bad as they are in America. You would think that the sky has not only fallen, but laid out everything beneath it in fiery rage...Constant complaining and whining about the state of affairs.
My point is that if you pick any city or country from the world, you will have people that hate it (including Denmark, as mentioned above). Of course, it is human nature to be wowed and infatuated with a new place, and that will absolutely wear off with SG and I. I would assume that many of you loved Argentina when you first arrived; wide eyed and fancy free, but it has worn on you. Is that not the case had you moved to any city?
I understand that Argentina has more than its fair share of problems (being Argentine and raised in an Argie household, we are pretty much the most annoying yet passionate people around, with an excess of emotional range).
I'm interested in what brought people to Argentina (other than a boy/girl), what they liked about it, and what (if anything) went terribly wrong. Thanks for all your replies..they are all very insightful and help provide a well rounded picture.

Me, I come to Argentina because I like it.
I have been travelling around the world a long time. I lived in Mexico, in the DF, as a child in the early 60s, I first went to europe in 68, and I have been to at least 25 countries. I am a student of art, architecture, fashion, furniture, all the crafts, music and culture.
In short, I been around the block.
I have lived in LA (for ten years, from 84 to 94) and I love LA- again, for what it is.
But the first time I was in BA, in 2007, I knew it was a city I could spend a lot of time in.
I have a lot of argentine friends- and most are very well educated- at places like UBA. They are aware of what is going on elsewhere in the world, and doing world class work in art, music, poetry, architecture, fashion, and food.
The city itself is unbelievably rich in its historic infrastructure. I am a blacksmith, and have been involved in building and designing furniture, building parts, and structures all my life, and Buenos Aires is a PHD level text on those subjects.

No, I dont live in Flores- and, when I lived in LA, I didnt live in Compton, either. (although I had my studio in Inglewood for ten years, without a hitch- and, if I was full time in BA, I would have a studio in Barracas in about five minutes- the lure of big cheap space is irresistable to artists)

Anyway, I think there is a lot of things in Argentina that are unique, interesting, and keep me coming back, and a lot of wonderful people. Its far from perfect, but where is?
My life does not revolve around consumer goods and the latest stuff from china, so I am quite happy to buy Industria Argentina- in fact, I make a lot of art using unique materials that are only made in Argentina.

Plus, I love Chori's and Fuggazetta.

Rorshoq. I came here to live in 1979 but I had twice previously visited the country.I came because I lost my job in Fla. (I'm from NYC).I didn't come out of fascination with anything here.I came at 39 and ,altough not a Latin, already speaking Spanish with only "one hand in front of me and another one behind me" and I never looked back.Myself and 2 partners started an in company English instruction business in multinationals which until 2002 was a very good business here.What makes Argentina so difficult to live and work in is the overpolitization and protectionism of the economy.This originates many labor problems and almost constant high inflation which is the root cause of most of the unrest and dissatisfaction of the Argentine and foreign working population.In short,it's a great place to LIVE,if you have a hard currency income but to WORK it approaches being a nightmare.Nonetheless,at 73 ,I am retired with both the Argentine and U.S systems and fully plan to live out my days right here.Together with many Argentines I hope for a better gov't in 2016. Come on down and put your shoulders to the wheel ! Ponganse el hombo! El pais los necesita.

It's quite interesting for us newcomers to read the comments of the veterans. Who cares about the colour of other people's lenses. I'm here to learn about the reality in BA a little. It's good to be aware of pitfalls, to say the very least. I wish I'd been informed about blue dollar before my first encounter with an argentine ATM at the airport. Or Sube card before I spent almost an hour at the airport, in desperate attempts to somehow squeeze 8 pesos in coins from an Evita banknote. It's good to know. It's not like we will obey, anyway :)

I have arrived and I am settling in. This 4 hours ahead of LA is tough on me still lol. All great at night, but horrible in the morning.

I am completely in love with this city... ok yes I have only been here for a week, but so far so good! Lots of nice people, plenty of good food, and omg i have never had soooo much sugar in my life haha.

Anyways I am glad to be here and cant wait to contribute more to the message boards.

Aloha and buenos dias! I am born in the US of Argentine parents, and after a lifetime of visiting and traveling throughout the country, I chose to get my second citizenship in Argentina and split my time between NYC and Buenos Aires. There is beautiful land throughout the country--Patagonia in the south, the end of the world close to Antarctica, glaciers; in the north you have the lovely waterfalls of Iguazu, and not to forget wine country, the pampas, the colorful sun drenched mountains of the north, etc, etc. I dance tango from time to time, and I have found wheatgrass distributors and other vegetarian havens in the city. If you like arts of any kind you will find the time to create art and enjoy art. If you like herbs, then you will love the herbal tea options in Argentina for enjoyment or remedies--boldo has worked like a charm after many asados in the past, and yerba mate has replaced my need for coffee! People value their friendships in Argentina; on Dia del Amigo you see people flocking to the parks to have mate and play the guitar. I am trying to learn how to play folklore on my guitar and even some of my instructors in the US have said that the technique required is advanced--who would have thought! I love the US and it's epic nature, cities, amazing opportunities for growth--but I have a special place in my heart for Argentina that seems to never go away. People in Argentina tend to have open and honest discussions and they always mention how important "los afectos" are in their lives, people will easily understand your need to live freely and passionately (it's kind of the theme, for better or for worse).

There is much to be enjoyed in Argentina and I hope you have a great experience!

Back