Moving Furniture, Electronics From The Us. Afip Etc..ugh!

I am usually able to keep stuff running for years - except printers: http://www.reportsfromearth.com/155/designed-to-fail-planned-obsolescence-in-printers-tricks-to-fix-them/

Printers are the paradigm of planned obsolesence!

I once saw a documentary from catalan tv that actually showed a microchip they had to stop printing (lets say after 5000 pages)!!

Also, does anybody have a reliable/ trustworthy moving company they could recommend? I'm thinking this will take 2 months to get here? Reasonable? Whatever info you can contribute would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody ? Anybody? Beuhler? Beuhler?

Feel free to send me a private message if you want a referral for a moving company ( trustworthy, honest and reliable )

I once saw a documentary from catalan tv that actually showed a microchip they had to stop printing (lets say after 5000 pages)!!

I'll agree with you on this one - printers are the worst.

I agree with you, printers last nothing in general, you need to buy something that lasts, very cheap models last no time, If I had to buy a new cheap printer, I would not do it. I would buy an old Hewlett Packard 1020 or similar through ML, also if you buy a very new printer might not be compatible with the old OS, older printers are in general are backward compatibles. Some persons repair printers and build 1 printer from many old pieces, and the resulting printer will last much more than a new printer. Of course, If you can buy a new Hewlett Packard printer it is even better. The toner printer can be refilled without needing to buy a new toner, I had a bad experience with an EPSON printer that if 1 of the carters was not filled the printer did not print :) so then if you had black ink but not magenta, you could not print in black. This shows that it is designed for you to buy a new carter, and every moment I had alerts on the screen indicating... the magenta or whatever color is going to end, buy a new carter clicking on this link...I have never buy EPSON again.

I agree with you, printers last nothing in general, you need to buy something that lasts, very cheap models last no time, If I had to buy a new cheap printer, I would not do it. I would buy an old Hewlett Packard 1020 or similar through ML, also if you buy a very new printer might not be compatible with the old OS, older printers are in general are backward compatibles. Some persons repair printers and build 1 printer from many old pieces, and the resulting printer will last much more than a new printer. Of course, If you can buy a new Hewlett Packard printer it is even better. The toner printer can be refilled without needing to buy a new toner, I had a bad experience with an EPSON printer that if 1 of the carters was not filled the printer did not print :) so then if you had black ink but not magenta, you could not print in black. This shows that it is designed for you to buy a new carter, and every moment I had alerts on the screen indicating... the magenta or whatever color is going to end, buy a new carter clicking on this link...I have never buy EPSON again.

I bought an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus that's really good.

There are a variety of reasons people import electronics and appliances.
For one thing, they are very expensive in Argentina.
So, if you can bring something as checked baggage, and not pay any duty (which most foreigners get away with almost every time) then you save half the cost, sometimes even more.
Also, for the last couple of years, there have been extreme import restrictions- so, many things are simply unavailable, at all, in Argentina.
The selection is limited, and so people who are concerned with the latest and greatest have to import them.

I have brought a variety of oddball stuff down, because its cheaper and easier than buying locally. I brought an 80 dollar printer down, and 80 bucks worth of cheap ink, that would have cost me easily 3 or 4 times that in BsAs- and I threw the ink in a ziplock in the freezer, where it will last a while. I bring down specific tools that I use in my work, that are either unavailable or very pricey.

As far as electricity- most consumer electronics these days is available in "smart" configurations that can adjust to either north american or world voltages. I have done a little research in the USA, and found US models of sewing machines, printers, stereos, and computers that simply need a different shaped wall plug, and they will function just fine in Argentina.

Most modern motors can easily handle the difference between 60hz US power and 50hz Argentine power, as well.

Transformers are widely available in buenos aires to power any US appliance or device, if needed.

So the issue is- is it worth it for you to ship it down, or lug it down?
This varies from item to item- for instance, Fender amps are like gold down here. Vitamix blenders are not available.
But many common appliances are easier just to buy in Argentina.

When I moved here in 2009 I had 6 months to bring in my things tax-free. That meant 6 months from the time I arrived with a work visa for one year. One crucial part was that I had to have a customs official at EZE write in my passport: "Espera equipaje no acompañado." If I hadn't gotten that on my passport, on the day of my entry, I would have been charged tax when my stuff arrived.

I don't know how it works when you are already here. I used a moving company that was great -- really competent and trustworthy. I suggest you interview them to find out the rules for your particular case. My rep was Noelia, the owner's daughter.

Argenmove - Argentina Int´l Moving S.R.L
Suipacha 612 3º A
Buenos Aires - Argentina
Tel : (5411)4325-0500

I am amazed how people are tied to things. You should all study, search in the internet, a new phenomena, called PLANNED OBSOLESENCE. Today, things are made to last no longer than 5 years -Yes, you read well. Tvs, DVD players, Playstation, even the smartphones do not last more than 3 years (being generous).

So, if things last less than 6 years, o maybe 6 years, or so, but always less than 10 years (beater, toaster, microwave, blender, etc) bringing up stuff, paying so much, for what? 3 years of use? you could buy another tv made here to have another 5 years, or 8 years or whatever...

Yes they could, or they could work out if shipping is cheaper than paying the rip off prices in argentina at the moment and hope that they last until maybe one day in the far off future argentina wont rip off consumers.

Thanks for the info. guys (and the apology). I appreciate it. At the moment this is a fact-finding mission to find reputable movers, anybody with first hand knowledge of the process (that did it themselves or hired somebody personally) and with AFIP.

The info on the wattage, I've looked into this. The A/C motor…did not know that and it may account for why the air purifier was a no-go. The only other serious piece of electronics I am i interested in bringing are a large flat screen TV gifted to me only 2 years ago and a '68 Fender Vibrolux which I know I cannot get here. Does anybody out there think either of those 2 items would NOT be fine with a solid transformer given the parameters on the wattage for both?

Also Is it possible the TV has dual wattage?

Back