Moving Money

Thanks for all the comments.

So I understand from all this that it's not possible to have a USD account in BA.

Is there any security concern bringing in $10 000 in cash through EZE?

Ive bought in amounts several times ranging from 5000-9000 US Dollars in a fanny pack under my jacket. Never been a problem. I even throw it into the x-ray machine at security. I do make sure I have my Remise guy there to collect me on arrival, no lingering about.

EDIT- From this forum:

Re: Declaracion de ingreso de dinero desde extranjero?
buena pregunta. En efectivo vos podés traer contigo hasta 9999 dolares sin declarar. Si traés más podés hacerlo pero llenando una ddjj. Ahora, al momento de tributar no sé... supongo que si estuviste viviendo afuera tendrías que tributar afuera (imaginate que si yo me voy a vivir afuera durante 40 años y después vengo dudo que la afip me reclame los 40 años de impuestos de ganancias). En tal caso la deuda la tendrías con el fisco del exterior.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned XOOM.Com?

This site will give you the Blue rate with an international wire transfer as soon as you can establish your savings account in an Argnetine bank. The rate posted on the site is $US1 to AR$6.196.

Check it out for another option as well as bringing cash.

Everyone else does it. Keep it in hand and you will be fine. I mean , keep your carry on in your hand.

the only thing you want to have in a bank is a safety deposit box. bring your ten k and put it in there.

Thanks for all the comments.

So I understand from all this that it's not possible to have a USD account in BA.

Is there any security concern bringing in $10 000 in cash through EZE?
Yes. Best not to advise anyone. Keep the total amount under 10K. Wear a money belt or other safety device.

No, you can't actually. You would have to have an existing dollar account with existing funds in it. Since the OP has neither, s/he won't be able to withdraw dollars.

what if we take 1k in USD (or part of it) to open a USD account. if we then transfer 5k into it later on, can we withdraw usd directly?

Why hasn't anyone mentioned XOOM.Com?

have they recently opened up to non-americans?

what if we take 1k in USD (or part of it) to open a USD account. if we then transfer 5k into it later on, can we withdraw usd directly?

You would first have to open up a bank account. You will only be able to open a caja de ahorro (savings account). To do that, you need a DNI (possibly permanent residency - I don't know that you can with a temporary residency, but maybe so). Then you need to wait to build up enough credit to be able to get an actual checking account. Then, after you've done all that (it took my wife nearly two years to get to that point) you are probably going to have issues with AFIP related to opening the account in dollars and/or depositing dollars into the account. Then, after all that is done, you will need to get through a ton of paperwork in order to enable your account to receive money from the outside.

Not trying to be a smart-ass, but that's the real story. The short version: can't do it. :)

have they recently opened up to non-americans?

Don't think so.

Your best bets to get money into the country:

1. Bring it in yourself or have someone who's coming down bring it in for you.

2. Go to Uruguay (or Paraguay even, but Uruguay's cheaper and quicker!) and pull dollars directly out of the ATMs. There was another thread for this where the process and the limits are pretty well stated.

3. Be here long enough to know someone who knows a cueva (not an arbolito), get introduced, and wire as much money as you want to. You can pick it up in dollars, or get pesos at just a few points off the blue rate, either way.

I (along with other expats who do this) was recently chastised for using option #3. It is somewhat illegal. I say somewhat because technically it is illegal, but I don't think it's going to be a big issue if one is caught. However, you have to be prepared to face the consequences and it could also impact you with AFIP when they catch up with after you are caught. However, I've been doing this for nearly six years and have never had a problem, and I know others who do this too.

The problem is the "cuevista" himself could get into some serious trouble. Mine made me swear I would never tell anyone who he is, ask him first before referring anyone I know, and that anyone I know be known to me, not just a recent acquaintance. It not easy these days to get introduced into a cueva, unfortunately.

FYI - the way cuevas work is they have businesses and accounts in other countries (often the US and Uruguay) and the person wishing to make the transfer wires money to one of those banks outside the country. The cueva here sees the money hit the account, you go to his office and he gives you money that he has in Argentina. Money never actually crosses the border. Until very recently, this has been a gray area of the law, but I have been told that Cristina has managed to make it illegal. As far as I know, no one has been caught, and it would be difficult to prove anyway, and I'm not even sure if, even as corrupt as the courts are here, it would result in a conviction if the person had a good lawyer.

BTW - sending money back to Canada would be accomplished via the same means. A bit more costly, but well worth it.

I'd bring down as much cash as you possibly can. Declare it even, if it's over 10K. Make sure you have a ride waiting for you (make arrangements with a remis service ahead of time, to be waiting for you when you exit) and don't tell anyone except the authorities you declare it to that you have the cash. You should be fine.

Welcome to getting along in Argentina ;)

Back