Moving Money

I fancy buying a nice thick gold chain with pesos to wear when I leave the country.1)where to buy 2)would one have hassle
with customs here or in euro/uk.I have dni,for what its worth.

I fancy buying a nice thick gold chain with pesos to wear when I leave the country.1)where to buy 2)would one have hassle
with customs here or in euro/uk.I have dni,for what its worth.

The jewelry center here is at Libertad and Corrientes, starting around there. I don't know that there are any better places. I used to buy jewelry there some time ago from a shop that has since closed - owner retired and sold off his inventory. Too bad, real nice guy, very honest, good prices. Haven't done much shopping there in the last couple of years so I don't have a recommendation.

As far as customs goes - when you get to the airport, put the chain around your neck and strike a rapper pose ;) Seriosuly, I'd just wear it through customs on both sides.

how much would you lose by buying jewellery or gold coins? I'm guessing you'll first pay the argie jeweller's mark up, then when you sell, you're also paying an uncompetitive price. Would the "loss" be as low as 5/10%?

Thanks for all the comments.

So I understand from all this that it's not possible to have a USD account in BA.

Is there any security concern bringing in $10 000 in cash through EZE?

Many people have USD accounts in local banks that allows them to draw Currency overseas. 10 k at airport , yes get a legal Taxi and AYOR.
Most important !!!!!! Expats that came here a year or so ago paid$ 6000 pesos was US$2000 (rate $3, no blue rate) today its only US$923...!! (Blue Rate 6.5)
Figure that in a year from now your income in Dollars will have SHRUNK by 30% :eek: Unless you get a 30 % raise...!!

Good luck

has to selecting the currency you want to withdraw note there an option on the screen or ask it in the bank branch. I can do no problem

First time I read someone is able to withdraw USDs from a Citibank ATM in Argentina (using a foreign card). (??)

Your best solution, as it has been mentioned, is to open a bank account in USD in Uruguay and you're done. That takes one hour & you exit the bank with a Maestro card & your account configured.

What you'll need:
- Two IDs with photo, with a valid date
- A proof of address (bill with your name + address on it)
- A proof of your income:
. if you are an employee: your last payslip
. if you work freelance, you can bring documents like purchase orders from your clients (bring as many as you can because that's how the bank will evaluate your monthly income and set alerts/limits = better mention an income a bit higher than real in order not to ring any alert if you make much more money during one month). You'll also need, if you are a freelancer, a "certificate of average income for the last 12 months" written by a Notary public or an accountant (you'll need to produce this certificate every year).

Nothing more.

As far as I know there are no ATMS in Argentina with Dollars at the moment.

Even Citibank is not allowed to put dollars in their machines at the moment

Can anyone say that they have withdrawn dollars from Citibank in the last three months.

If so , I will eat a double portion of humble pie....

has to selecting the currency you want to withdraw note there an option on the screen or ask it in the bank branch. I can do no problem

Are you sure is in B.A. not Uruguay... :wub: I feel like a sorry sob, going to Colonia...!!!

Back