Moving Money

There is one other solution that hasn't been mentioned. If you have more the 50K in savings or (if not) you can convince HSBC in Canada to let you pay a small monthly fee to be a "Premier" status customer, they'll open an account for you in Uruguay and Argentina (if need be) and move your money as need be quickly and without fees. In fact, you end up getting most services done in the concierge style and free of fees or at least very low fees. It really helps. I'd strongly urge you to look into this.

But would you get dollars here or would they convert them to pesos.

I need to sell my home here quickly. How do I get money out of the country when I am only one person?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm suprised about the comments implying difficulties in moving money through an Argentine Bank. I've been living here since 2005, I work freelance for a French company and I've been paid by bank transfer to my Banco Franés account every month for the last seven years without any problem. I also transfer my own funds from Europe to my account without any difficulty, except for the paperwork that they require.

Also, it certainly is possible to have a USD account in BA! I was given one when I opened a pesos account event though I didn't ask for one. I'ts been zero ever since, but I still have it.

Moving dollars in is not a Problema, then you converted to pesos at the Official Rate? :eek:

I had a bank account here with Banco Frances but it was expensive and I had to wait in an hour-long line everytime I wanted to make a deposit, so I closed it. The only drawback to not having a local account is that I have to go pay bills with cash at Rapipago, but it's not a big deal. If I were you I would bring USD initially and then transfer funds from yr Canadian bank account to get the blue rate. There is a service that is better than Xoom because there is no fee (and soon it will be offered for those transfering from US bank accounts as well). If anyone has any questions about it let me know!

Hola!

I came from Manila, Philippines and have a local Philippine Peso account. Before I left Manila, I requested my bank to activate my account to be ready to be able to withdraw cash in any part of the world. They granted it. Now I withdraw usually from Bancotelco (not sure if that was correct), HSBC and Citibank. They give me options to withdraw US dollar or Argentine Peso. I withdraw as much as what is allowed for a certain standard deduction. For my account, for every $175 dollar, they charge AR$20.50 and that's it. Only thing about this is standard change rate applies. So just bring enough cash($) to settle and have it exchanged here (hopefully you have trusted contacts here who knows people who can exchange it for higher rate). Anyway, you can't bring more than CA$10,000.00 right?

If you can arrange that with your Canadian bank account, you won't need to move your money :)

Thanks,
Vida

I need to sell my home here quickly. How do I get money out of the country when I am only one person?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Some places do it. you gotta find a reputable one. you give them usd here and they transfer usd to your bank account in the US from their own account abroad. They will charge a % to do it.

Hola!

I came from Manila, Philippines and have a local Philippine Peso account. Before I left Manila, I requested my bank to activate my account to be ready to be able to withdraw cash in any part of the world. They granted it. Now I withdraw usually from Bancotelco (not sure if that was correct), HSBC and Citibank. They give me options to withdraw US dollar or Argentine Peso. I withdraw as much as what is allowed for a certain standard deduction. For my account, for every $175 dollar, they charge AR$20.50 and that's it. Only thing about this is standard change rate applies. So just bring enough cash($) to settle and have it exchanged here (hopefully you have trusted contacts here who knows people who can exchange it for higher rate). Anyway, you can't bring more than CA$10,000.00 right?

If you can arrange that with your Canadian bank account, you won't need to move your money :)

Thanks,
Vida

Vida! you can withdraw from an ATM, here in Buenos Aires, dollar bills from HSBC or Citibank with a foreign CC ???. Please explain

Back