Moving to BA in 2 weeks

AZBA, I just moved here from New York City yesterday after I left my job. I'm a 24 year old guy and I stayed in a hostel for a few days, but to be honest I hate living in hostels as you can never feel truly comfortable. I moved out after 2 nights and used the below site to find a temporary apartment. I'm currently living in San Telmo in a pretty cool duplex loft until I find more permanent housing which I did today in Palermo.

For a temporary apartment check out the below site and I can even recommend the one I stayed in if you are wondering

http://www.airbnb.com

And for permanent housing PM me...I went on a bit of a hunt yesterday and can shoot you over some cool places I found for younger people.

xohmyx said:
Im just curious...are you exaggerating this or do you seriously not know a soul or where your staying and you heading there in 2 weeks?

I don't know a soul in BA either and I'll be there monday. I figure lots of people travel to places without knowing anyone.

Josh

Hey Josh,

What you coming down here for? I just got here a couple days ago and I don't know a soul here either haha...it's nice to explore the city by yourself and all, but kind of tired of it and am trying to locate some people who would be open to meeting up and going out and all that other stuff. Let me know.

Try Venezuela 474 (Krakow pub) at San Telmo, on Friday, 8pm onwards. A bunch of us will be there. Liam wrote a post with detailed info regarding it.

I'd be very wary of staying in a hostel at lima and san juan.....I live 2 blocks from there and we have guns in our neighbourhood...

AZBA said:
Thank you so much, Roxana! This is really helpful!!! I'm hoping to find an English teaching job (or several), but I'd also like to play, discover Buenos Aires, and meet people! I will look into your friend's hostel availability today...
let us know when you arrive and we can all meet and greet you:)have a safe trip over,regards Howard

NZ115 said:
Hey Josh,

What you coming down here for? I just got here a couple days ago and I don't know a soul here either haha...it's nice to explore the city by yourself and all, but kind of tired of it and am trying to locate some people who would be open to meeting up and going out and all that other stuff. Let me know.

I'm coming to experience all the horrible things I've read about on this and other blogs. The crime the indifference, the outright haughtiness of Portenos. I pretty much don't like myself, so I'm going to fit right in.

Actually thats total crap. I'm a 36 year old programmer who can work anywhere he has a laptop and has cajoled his boss into letting him work remotely for a few months. I'm coming to BA for a variety of reasons. The biggest of which is that I don't want to look back on life with that wistful, coulda shoulda woulda.

I forgot who wrote the post categorizing expats, but I'm definitely a tourist. I'll be in BA for a few months, hopefully meet some great folks, drink some great wine, paraglide a few times and who knows what else. I'd really like to avoid getting mugged or ripped off too. Now that would be a triumph!

I'm totally up for meeting people. Especially if they are into wine, or paragliding.
Josh

Hmm i wouldnt have the balls to move to another country without knowing anyone!
good on you for doing so though

Thank you everyone! I've booked the hostel Roxana recommended to me, it will only be for a week, so hopefully I can avoid guns/crime, before finding a more permanent room....I'm going for the less expensive route, as I would like to stay in BA for a bit, so a loft sounds a little out of my range right now... but you have all been so helpful, I can't wait to meet you and experience the city firsthand! Also- I've never been paragliding, but I can't say I wouldn't try it :)

AZBA - You will be made welcome by most of the folk on this site, and within BsAs. If you look around this site you will see all sorts of regular events being organised, from horse riding, board games, wine-tastings, events to suit all ages and tastes.

A group of us (including Roxana), get together every Friday in and around San Telmo for a few drinks to start the weekend off, just keep your eyes on the announcements
in the forum for events. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time, and I am certain than when you leave you will certainly have lots of friends here to carry memories on.

Back