Moving to BA in February to teach English

Wow, I never expected to get such an extensive response from an introductory post, but I guess I have Fred's heated reply to thank for that.

So to give more background info, I am getting my masters in psychology at NYU and managed to get halftime status which means I can use my students loans as a buffer against what expenses that might exceed what I am getting paid as a teacher while in BA.

I have a family friend who was born and raised in BA who says he will help me find a cheap apartment in the city (downtown I believe).

As for finding work, the TEFL institute seems pretty certain that they can secure me a contract before I leave the states. I will attach the chart they showed me about what I can expect from an English teaching job out there. Are these just completely ridiculous things to expect while I am out there?

Also, I am a filmmaker and huge cinephile, is there a place where I can see repertory film programs other than MALBA?

Thanks again,
Jeff Zorrilla

Attachments

• Picture 16.jpg
    Picture 16.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 30
Sorry -- I'm confused, in that chart your cost of living and your salary are equivalent? Is that right? If so I guess at least they're upfront about the fact that savings will be = 0.

However keep in mind that cost of living of 2500 pesos is not allowing you to do much at all -- ie don't have visions of travelling around the country on the money you make here (especially by plane since you'll be charged tourist fare).

As a foreigner with no garantia on a property (unless your family friend is willing to give you one) you will have to get short term leases, which are usually in USD.

Sorry to say, but I doubt they will get you a job before you leave -- that would require an actual legal work visa. Most english teachers just come down and work illegally or hope to find their own students. From my impressions from those on the board that teach, not a lot are getting work visas secured for them.

yea, I don't expect to be saving any money but I do have dreams of having enough work that I will not have to be dipping into my students loans anymore than is absolutely necessary. What other jobs could you recommend that could keep me afloat?

Jeff.Zorrilla said:
yea, I don't expect to be saving any money but I do have dreams of having enough work that I will not have to be dipping into my students loans anymore than is absolutely necessary. What other jobs could you recommend that could keep me afloat?

From your first post I got the impression you were moving here to teach. Now it is apparent you are a student who just wants to spend six months in BA. There's nothing wrong with that, but jobs for foreigners require work visas and you simply don't have much chance of getting one. If you keep your focus on teaching English you should be able to make some money. Staying "afloat" will also depend on your cash reverves.

There's plenty of work here if you're a good teacher. I have a TEFL certificate (from a university in the U.S.) and a master's in TESOL, and was teaching 15-20 hours a week. It's just... kind of thankless. Teachers only make 30-50 pesos an hour, so you have to work many hours to earn a decent income (and you don't get paid for the hours of prep work.) But if you've ever done private or small-group tutoring before, you know that it's intense, and that spending too many hours a day teaching, grading, and rushing from class to class is a good way to burn yourself out. Plus, the work can be unstable, as adult students can't always find the time or money for English classes. So it's fine as a way to offset your living expenses, as long as you can cover your rent and big-ticket purchases with savings or other income. But I cannot imagine trying to support myself teaching in Argentina (and I think that the TEFL programs in BA are a huge scam.)

Jeff,

Congrats on your big decision and welcome to what at times can be the most negative place in Buenos Aires, the board. Don't worry about any of this fussing. You can do anything you want to do anywhere you want with enough will and a good attitude. I move to nyc without a job in 2001 after the net crash and 3 months before 911, with only one friend in the entire north east and $1000 in my pocket. I worked for $8/hour 20 hours/week for 6 months before I found a full time job and I ended up living there for 10 years and I built a perfectly nice, respectable life against all the nay sayers and the struggles. As a recent NYC to BA transplant, I can say with newbie impunity that compared to NYC, BA is a breeze, seriously, regardless of the talk of inflation and the high cost of living. The crime is like a worse version of Times Square tourist crimes meets Bushwick. Don't be stupid in the dark and make sure you know where your stuff is all the time. There's horrible crime as well, but it's not like the city is under siege. For living, it's the same as anywhere. Expensive alone, cheaper with roommates. There are shares all around and students everywhere. As for working, I've heard both sides of the English teaching issue. Some people have an easy time, others not so much, but I think here making connections goes a long way. Get some business cards made before you leave from somewhere like moo.com and carry them with you all the time. Eventually, people will start to call.

Good luck and safe travels.

I looked at your chart and would go with the high end of the cost of living,2500 pesos or more these days. Without a garantia, an apartment will cost 600 dollars a month. My friend paid 750 pesos for just a room.

I would plan on spending at least $1,000 USD a month, you might be able to do it cheaper but if you plan for that you will be comfortable and happy.

BaltRochGirl said:
I would plan on spending at least $1,000 USD a month, you might be able to do it cheaper but if you plan for that you will be comfortable and happy.

$1000USD = $4000 pesos, so you'll need 1500 pesos above and beyond what they say you will earn.

Curious -- did they give you any breakdown of what they included in the cost of living expenses -- ie how much they considered for living, entertainment, clothes, personal items etc?

Back