Moving to BA in February to teach English

Jeff, I have taught English here for 4 years. I love it. And I've realized that loving it is the key to making money in it. But if you are coming and not planning to stay long-term, making money shouldn't be your concern. You will be able to find jobs and it will be up to you how many institutes/classes you search out and accept. With your contacts, you should be able to find living at a good price and be able to stay afloat. This year I am partnering up with an Argentine woman to promote our English institute. There are tons out there, but feel free to check us out when you get here to see if we have any classes to offer: http://www.globaldialects.com.ar/ Best of luck! Allison

steveinbsas said:
Are these jobs "en blanco" and if they are is a work visa required?

If so, I wonder if the schools tell their students about the documents required for the visa and if Jeff is bringing the necessary documents with him?

During my four years in CF I met several young women who found jobs but were not able to keep them because they did not have a work visa and could not get a CUIL. They weren't planning on staying in BA long enough to make building their own "en negro" client base worth the effort. Their employers were not willing to deal with migraciones and were also afraid of being caught by AFIP.

Considering the chart Jeff's TEFL school gave him with salaries stated that the visa was just a Tourist Visa, I'm concluding a few things:

1) The jobs the school says Jeff can get will be in negro, definitely not above board and therefore;

2) The school that Jeff's attending probably actually have not much hope of getting Jeff a job before he gets here, since it would be encouraging working illegally abroad, something that I doubt an American based company would want to get involved with.

3) The most Jeff can expect out of his school in the States that is already selling him on working in Argentina on just a tourist visa, is a few contact names and numbers for when he arrives -- contacts that will then either tell him we can't hire you until you have a work visa, or contacts that will be kind of dodgy and pay him in negro, probably taking a good chunk of his salary for themselves, meaning that after a few months Jeff will probably decide to go out on his own because if you're going to work in negro, you might as well pocket all the cash instead of handing off a large chunk of commission to some company...

For all the nay-sayers I thought that I should post this:

"Hi Jeff, Thanks for contacting us.,

We would like to work with you as well, we will keep your CV in our data base, so we can set an intreview when you arrive to Buenos Aires in february

Regards."

Back