Moving to BA in February to teach English

If the apartment isn't a short term dollar rental (min 5-600 dollars), its possible to get by on less....I think 2500-3000 is ok for someone who is prepared to live simply...

I will let others argue about money- however, if you are a cinephile, and are going to be in BsAs in April, you are in luck- the BAFICI Film Festival is amazing.
I have friends who basically dont sleep for two weeks- in which case its possible to break 100. Films seen, that is.

http://www.bafici.gov.ar/home/web/es/index.html

Over 1000 different films will be screened, total attendance should break a quarter million people, and there will always be amazing things to see.

A couple of years ago I saw three relatively rare Chaplin silent shorts, each with a different avante garde band improvising a soundtrack, in a newly restored 1920's theater. For Free. But whatever your taste, its there.

Also, its not exactly repertory, but cinesarteplex usually has interesting stuff, including some older films from time to time-
http://www.cinesarteplex.com/encartel-abelgrano.php

and many of the cultural centers show films regularly, most especially Rojas, on Corrientes-
http://www.rojas.uba.ar/

lpbuck09 said:
For people who come here with no training or experience and expect to find a job teaching English, it is probably very difficult, but with a TEFL certificate you shouldn't have any problems. I had about a year of experience teaching English in the States before coming here, and I've had plenty of job offers.

To be honest with you the only qualification I have is my university degree and I teach 3 different languages in 2 languages institutes...the only two interviews I had were in Spanish and they didn't ask for any TEFL certs or anything like that...
And by the way I don't earn enough money to make a living here and that's with 3 languages, I can't really think how I would live if I were to teach English only..
;)

Uncle Dermot said:
To be honest with you the only qualification I have is my university degree and I teach 3 different languages in 2 languages institutes...the only two interviews I had were in Spanish and they didn't ask for any TEFL certs or anything like that...
And by the way I don't earn enough money to make a living here and that's with 3 languages, I can't really think how I would live if I were to teach English only..
;)

What languages do you teach & to what level? Send me a pm with your rates. Thnx.

Hi Jeff,
Dont listen to fred! I've just quit my job and am moving to BA in a couple of weeks for about 6 months too...I dont have a tefl qualification yet as I heard it's better to do that stuff out there to get contacts. I'm sure you'll be fine though, let me know how it goes and I'm sure we could trade tips at some points?
All the best
Sara

Thanks for all the input everyone. I just sent this thread to the people at the TEFL school to put on the heat for them to help me out finding a job.

Jeff.Zorrilla said:
Thanks for all the input everyone. I just sent this thread to the people at the TEFL school to put on the heat for them to help me out finding a job.

OMG they will find out I am working illegally here...:D:D:D

In spite of the "you can do anything you want here" attitude, I wonder how realistic it is to think a TEFL certification is a ticket to an actual job teaching English in BA.

As starlucia wrote:

starlucia said:
I think that the TEFL programs in BA are a huge scam.

I realize Jeff is getting his certification in New York, but how often do the TEFL schools actually find thier "graduates" jobs with a salary?

Jeff.Zorrilla said:
I just sent this thread to the people at the TEFL school to put on the heat for them to help me out finding a job.

Are these jobs "en blanco" and if they are is a work visa required?

If so, I wonder if the schools tell their students about the documents required for the visa and if Jeff is bringing the necessary documents with him?

During my four years in CF I met several young women who found jobs but were not able to keep them because they did not have a work visa and could not get a CUIL. They weren't planning on staying in BA long enough to make building their own "en negro" client base worth the effort. Their employers were not willing to deal with migraciones and were also afraid of being caught by AFIP.

Back