Multi-year Spanish School; Citizenship

Based on what Bajo-cero2 has perviously posted, applying for citizenship "right away"as a tourist doesn't appear to be an option. You may be able to start the process without "legal residency" (and with a lawyer) after one year, but it's apparently up to each judge whether or not to proceed with the case or make you wait until you have been in Argentina for two full years. Just come as a tourist, overstay that visa, and start the process after a year.
He or she can start the process the day after he or she arrives. But the judges cannot grant the citizenship letter until the second year. Meanwhile you are an informal argentine under the eyes of the law.

He or she can start the process the day after he or she arrives. But the judges cannot grant the citizenship letter until the second year. Meanwhile you are an informal argentine under the eyes of the law.
This is great information!!

Is being an "informal Argentine" (with a citizenship case pending) better in any respect than being a temporary of permanent resident (who would have a DNI).

Does starting the case immediately afer arrival provide the applicant with "protection" from actions (such as deportation) being taken by migraciones while the case is pending?

Is being an "informal Argentine" (with a citizenship case pending) better in any respect than being a temporary of permanent resident (who would have a DNI).

Does starting the case immediately afer arrival provide the applicant with "protection" from actions (such as deportation) being taken by migraciones while the case is pending?
And, I would like to add for a question:

Does being an "Informal Argentine," (with a pending citizenship case) allow you to get a DNI? I am guessing not, but surprise me.

RENAPER and Convenio Policial nowadays are replied in 2 weeks with the DEOX system, but you need password and a bar ID.
Renaper does NOT use DEOX. They replay via mail. I called them (Renaper) and they said they are still working on it -- it's been 8 weeks.
Convenio were responding in 3-5 weeks via DEOX but lately, they seem to be taking much longer. None of the ofcios sent out since May seem to have been responded yet. Correct me if I am wrong. When i called them they said they are having a delay.

In any case, if I don't hear back by August I will petition the court to resubmit the pedidos de oficios and ask for multas after 10 days. That should remedy the problem.

Indeed. Immigration cannot deport an argentine without commiting ilegal privation of liberty (15 + 5 years in jail)..Even they did it with one of my clients to inagurate the DNU 70/2017, they violated the direct order of an Habeas corpus judge and becuase of that the Director of the Deportation Deppartment was fired and finished under criminal prosecution.

Last edited:
Renaper does NOT use DEOX. They replay via mail. I called them (Renaper) and they said they are still working on it -- it's been 8 weeks.
Convenio were responding in 3-5 weeks via DEOX but lately, they seem to be taking much longer. None of the ofcios sent out since May seem to have been responded yet. Correct me if I am wrong. When i called them they said they are having a delay.

In any case, if I don't hear back by August I will petition the court to resubmit the pedidos de oficios and ask for multas after 10 days. That should remedy the problem.
Does it make any difference if they use an email or Aleph Mail or Deox? No. You just confuse people.
Does it makes any difference if Convenio reply in 2 or 5 weeks when they used to delay 7/18 months? I don’t think so. In my experience with 200 cases, not with 1, they are answering very fast.
Well, i suggest you do it, I do not need it because I have Deox password that allows me to send oficios.

After you've completed your time requirement, do you have to remain in the country while everything is being processed?

Yes. Most of the time.

I have another question. If there is no longer a requirement to have a real visa (residency), what are you supposed to do to legally stay in the country six months? Are border runs going to be OK now?

Back