My prices are out of control whine.

Sergio, you echoed my thoughts exactly. As much as I love supporting and chatting with my local shop owners... their selection, and sometimes quality, do not come close to matching the endless options for amazing quality, whole healthy foods in the USA. Whole Foods, local farmers markets, my CSA share! It seems like some people have a very limited view of the USA, food availability and our eating habits.

I can give you an endless list of why Argentina is a wonderful place to live, but I mourn the loss of options and ease of Whole Foods each and every day.

earlyretirement said:
I do admit that Argentina has positive aspects about it. But part of the "good life" to me means:

- Not having to look over my shoulder when I'm using my Iphone or Ipad out on the street

- Being able to cross the street at a random street knowing full well that if the light is green and I have a walk signal that I most likely won't get hit by a car

- Being able to get a package without expecting to get extorted into paying some phantom tax

- Going to my favorite restaurant and not having the restaurant price change each week

- Having a 99% probability that the car 3 lanes over to my left won't try to turn right at the next light (or generally have 99% of the drivers being HORRIBLE)

- Having dinner with my wife without her having to put her purse between her legs during the ENTIRE dinner

- Going to the grocery store and being able to find what I want when I want

- My HOA fee stays the same each year rather than go up 20%+ a year like my condo fee has done in Buenos Aires

- Being able to fire an employee if I catch them stealing from me without the fear they will sue me

- Being able to buy dollars at the going exchange rate or have the comfort and safety that funds I have on deposit will be protected

- Comfort of knowing my Internet won't go out for days on end

- Not having to pay 21% IVA on everything I buy

- Being able to EASILY return something in the store if it doesn't work (most stores will accept returns up to 30 days after you purchase it)

- Actually getting someone that works in a store to help you and generally good customer service in most stores

- When I get a quote on a job that I need not having to worry about someone trying to cheat you on the price

- I don't have to worry about public transportation going on strike for days/weeks on end (or dying in some antiquated trains in the event of an accident)

- Don't have to worry about random restrictions/controls popping up each week that are totally crazy

- Taking comfort in knowing IF I had to go to a random police station for something they would actually be helpful

- Being able to buy electronics that aren't inflated 300%

- Being able to get great Mexican/Chinese/Japanese/Indian/Greek/ You fill in the blank food at restaurants very easily and very affordably (Or going to a restaurant and actually seeing more than salads, pasta, pizza, meat on the menu)

- I can use my nice camera wherever I want without worrying about possibly getting stabbed from someone trying to steal it

- Not having to worry about giving my employees a 25% to 30% mandatory raise each year

- When I go to the office I don't have to worry about protestors blocking the road on a weekly basis

- I don't have to worry about people making change when I pay for something in the store or a "no moneda" sign.

- Nice fact actually seeing some diversity and actually seeing people of color every day

- The buses here don't have black billowing soot/smoke coming out and the air quality is 1000 X better

- Not having to pay cash for a place to buy here and not having to show up at closing with $100 bills (I can pay for my property over 15 or 30 years at a cheap interest rate)

- People that actually understand what the word "ethical" means

- When people mail me a letter I actually get it in a few days vs. weeks/months/never

- Not having my electricity or gas bill go up 250% overnight

- I don't have to worry about my car window getting smashed at the stop light from a motorcycle thief

- Being able to get my dishwasher or washing machine fixed without some random part taking 3 months or more to get into the country

These are just things I can think of in 5 minutes. I can add many many more. I do agree "good life" is all subjective.

What happened to 'spare us the diatribe' ?

; )

Smelling the freshly baked bread wafting through the streets is the pleasure of life here.

Now thats funny as most of the bread as the texture and taste of cotton wool....if you'd said medialunas we'd be in definite agreement!

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
What happened to 'spare us the diatribe' ?

; )

Hey I couldn't resist when they talked about "quality of life" and trying to infer that I was implying it was only because of the WONDERFUL options in the supermarkets here.

There are literally hundreds of reasons why I deem "quality of life" better. I don't consider what I wrote diatribe. Just simple things that I immediate appreciate everyday here vs. Argentina.

Again, I'm not saying that Argentina is all bad at all because it's not and there are many things to appreciate there.

I agree with the other comments about the food options. There are fantastic options with places like Whole Foods, as well as various Farmers Market's that they have a few times each week. Some cities here have a different farmer's market every day of the week in a different area and this food is very organic.

Also, to the poster that posted that the USA is as dangerous as Argentina. My simple answer is "no it's not". Although it does sound like she/he had some bad luck in Washington DC.

And it's laughable if same poster is trying to claim that drivers overall in the USA are as bad as Buenos Aires. LOL. Now that really made them non credible with a comment like that.

I don't think there is anything wrong pointing out negative things about a country that you love. You should be able to open your eyes and accept them and talk about them.

earlyretirement said:
Also, to the poster that posted that the USA is as dangerous as Argentina. My simple answer is "no it's not". Although it does sound like she/he had some bad luck in Washington DC.

According to Wikipedia the incidence of murders per 100,000 population in the US is 4.2 whilst in Argentina it is 3.4

So I am more likely to be mudered in the US than in Argentina.

Food: I don't know how anyone who lives in BA can deny that a very large amount of the food sold in supermarkets is low quality and full of artificial / chemical ingredients. How on earth this myth that food is more wholesome in Argentina developed I have no idea. I have yet to meet a "foodie" who did not find procuring good, fresh ingredients in BA a real challenge. A walk though supermarkets like Whole Foods (and that is only one), by contrast, is a real pleasure.

CRIME: I think the difference is that a lot of crime in the US takes place in the impoverished inner city whereas in BA it happens everywhere all the time. I feel safer almost anywhere in Manhattan than I do in the best parts of BA. I know so many people who have been robbed in BA that I can hardly begin to count. I hardly know anyone in the US who has had the same experiences. Well I am sure there will be people who challenge this but I believe my Argentine friends would agree. In fact the daughter of a friend who is studying at Columbia Univ (not exactly a great area) commented that she felt a LOT safer there than in Recoleta.

sergio said:
Food: I don't know how anyone who lives in BA can deny that a very large amount of the food sold in supermarkets is low quality and full of artificial / chemical ingredients. How on earth this myth that food is more wholesome in Argentina developed I have no idea. I have yet to meet a "foodie" who did not find procuring good, fresh ingredients in BA a real challenge. A walk though supermarkets like Whole Foods (and that is only one), by contrast, is a real pleasure.

CRIME: I think the difference is that a lot of crime in the US takes place in the impoverished inner city whereas in BA it happens everywhere all the time. I feel safer almost anywhere in Manhattan than I do in the best parts of BA. I know so many people who have been robbed in BA that I can hardly begin to count. I hardly know anyone in the US who has had the same experiences. Well I am sure there will be people who challenge this but I believe my Argentine friends would agree. In fact the daughter of a friend who is studying at Columbia Univ (not exactly a great area) commented that she felt a LOT safer there than in Recoleta.

Exactly sergio! I'm not sure either how this misconception that food is so wholesome in Argentina got started either. I just didn't find that to be the case while living there many years. And many times going into a supermarket I'd spot disgusting literally rotting vegetables. Of course we'd get veggies at the corner stands but the variety just wasn't there like other countries.

As far as crime. I'm NOT worried about getting killed in Argentina OR the USA so I think people that throw out statistics like that are a bit disingenuous. What most people worry about is just basically walking down the street and having to worry about getting mugged or the homes getting broken into.

Sure the USA has crime just like most other major cities around the world but I will argue with anyone that most major cities in the USA are generally safe compared to a city like Buenos Aires. Anyone that really tries to honestly try to argue that any typical metropolitan area in the USA is as dangerous as Buenos Aires is deluded. And I say that with all respect.

It doesn't seem to matter where we start, we always end up discussing and comparing crime rates between USA and Argentina......

AngelinBA said:
It doesn't seem to matter where we start, we always end up discussing and comparing crime rates between USA and Argentina......

And the comparison is between BsAs and all of the USA, how ridiculous!

Nancy

Someone should just copy the last 50% of the posts of one of the lively threads and paste it right behind post #7 of any new thread on this list. Would save a lot of time. :)

Back