Name registry got stricter....

French jurist said:
A few real example in France resulting from a lack of control. I found those on the net. Please fasten your seatbelts :
!

Just another to amuse you French Jurist (if that's your real name :D):

Friends of my sister had a girl they name Nova. Now they're having a second and the husband is determined to call her Astra.

Astra. Nova. ....[insert groans here]

katti said:
In Belgium we used to have these lists too. So when my parents decided I'd be called KATTI it turned out that that name was not on the list. Only KATI was. One or 2 T's makes a difference in pronunciation. And the 1st being as Flemish as can be, the 2nd international. So my dad thought that's OK, 'BUT I'LL CALL HER KATTI ANYWAY". Plus I was baptised with "TT".

See THIS is different -- two pronounciations, yes I agree with the argument to put it on the list. It's when the pronounciation is the same but the spelling has to be "original" that drives me nuts!

I don't think name control can work once there are a lot of immigrants in a country. Obviously the allowable name register offers me very few options for Indian/Hindu names. I don't think it's fair to say that the register eliminates weird or offbeat names, as a name that's weird here can be quite standard elsewhere. Who can be the judge of whether a name is "suitable" or not?

I know most won't agree with this, but life is difficult enough, especially when you are a child. No matter how much money you have, social status, family, etc, nobody will be safe from hurtful ridicule based on out of the ordinary looks, disability, name, etc. SO instead of parents naming their children to make a point or some silly whim, how about thinking of the consequences of naming your child something SO out of the ordinary. Is it really necessary in the long run, to name your kid "the meaning of lotus flower in Tinkabelian" just because your great aunt was a princess there? How about integrating your children into the society where they live respecting the names, customs and style in the place you are born? You can still maintain your cultural identity and have whats considered a "normal" name, here's an example.......I know a guy here named Miguel Goldberg. What if his parents named him Mordechai instead of Miguel. Don't you think he would have to constantly explain his name and because this and that and the other. Let's keep the children's best interests in mind here.
And I worked with a woman named "Candy Apple Redd" who never got a promotion, even having a college degree, and long term employment, and it's because nobody took her seriously, they treated her like a specimen. "This is Candy Apple Redd, ha ha ha, ha" and she was in her late 40s, overweight and diabetic.
Just my opinion.......

This is a country of immigrants. Is it not? Why should my child's name be held as a political and cultural hostage to this country? What of my forebears? Are they to be forgotten for the sake of governmental arrogance because the name is not politically correct?

AngelinBA said:
Oops, typed too quickly - that should read NOBODY's not nomondy :)

Oooh Nomondy... do you think that would make for a good boy or girl's name? ;)

Yes the list is quite extensive, and you can add to it, and unfortunately like many things in Argentina how easy that process is comes down to the humour of the person you deal with the day you go to the registry to add the name.

There are lots of Mordecai's here actually -- BA has one of the largest Jewish population's in the world, they are not names that would have to be explained -- the names that need more explaining are those on par with Irish names with spellings that don't necessarily relate to pronounciation (especially in Spanish, can result in some interesting interpretations). Where you will run into difficulty is when the name you want already exists on the list but with a different spelling than what you want -- you will have to jump through hoops to try and get the version you like.

"You can still have your foreign name, you just have to provide proof that the name exists, it's origen and whether it's masculine or feminine. Nobody's trying to rob anybody of their cultural heritage."

A birth certificate with the father's name should be evidence enough,..oh, but wait,..apparently not..................................................................................

I love names and naming issues! But I have to say it's not so very "easy to change your name". The name you were given has a lot of weight, tradition (sometimes) and emotion attached to it.

I have five names. Two first names and three last names. I love my name(s) and the tradition that goes with it. But I promise you it's a HUGE PITA and emotionally draining to deal with bureaucratic issues if move to different countries.

If anyone knows me, I'll just tell you the name I go by is not one of my legal names. It's a nickname I picked up a long the way. But most of my life I went by my second first name and my last last name.

When I was in Belgium I wasn't even allowed to put my second first name on my residence card. It has all my names except for that one which was only listed with the first initial. That really made me mad. I actually cried in the migrations office (with anger!). Why was it not allowed? Because I didn't have a "-" like Anne-Marie or Jean-Claude. I told them, well, just type it in!! They said No.

So there officially I'm listed under my first first name & first last name. I have to remember which combination of names are registered in various countries. And it goes on & on....

My name is the reason I can not get my DNI. I have to go to a federal judge to sort it out. Yeah, right. That's not going to happen.

I would love to "change my name" legally to make it easier. But that would be a slap in the face to my family, my heritage, etc. We won't even get into adding another name after marriage.

I have a Belgian friend who changed her name. Her father no longer speaks to her.

This is just a general discussion and not really about your issue Celia. Celia, I hope you fight & get the name(s) you want for you child!

Back