Name registry got stricter....

I agree that "Candy Apple Redd," etc., will make for a more difficult life, but WTF? Having a list of approved names seems terrible. Sure, cultures vary. But not being allowed to name your kid what you want (short of profanity) sucks. Especially in the case of your chosen name being a family name.

This is the first I've heard of the name registry. I'm glad we didn't have any problems.

Johnno said:
I don't think we have any form of ''name control'' in Australia but I'm not sure - first time I have heard of this sort of thing...

We certainly do (as many countries do). The public registrar has the right to deny a name if it's offensive (and I think if it contains recognised titles such as Sir or Lady) but still with primary school teachers now having to deal with classes full of Hayleys, Haydens, Jacksons and Jessicas and a good sprinkling of Chardonnays, Armanis and Chanels (not to forget the compulsory North American geographical references Georgia, Arizona, Vegas, Indiana, Nevada - though oddly no New Hampshires) each with a divergent orthography designed to reflect unique qualities that the parents imagine reside in their little bags of ADHD terror it is clear we need even more restrictions to keep the bogan menace at bay.

pauper said:
not to forget the compulsory North American geographical references Georgia, Arizona, Vegas, Indiana, Nevada - though oddly no New Hampshires

For as long as it's not "District of Columbia"

In case anyone else has to go through this, the UK embassy were more helpful than the US one (who won't help) and said that for ARS $432 , they will provide me with a sworn statement that the 2 names we have chosen are of English origin and appropriate to the sex of the child. All they require is that we can prove there are or were existing people with these names (e.g famous person or print-out of the electoral roll).

Davidglen77 said:
I know most won't agree with this, but life is difficult enough, especially when you are a child. No matter how much money you have, social status, family, etc, nobody will be safe from hurtful ridicule based on out of the ordinary looks, disability, name, etc. SO instead of parents naming their children to make a point or some silly whim, how about thinking of the consequences of naming your child something SO out of the ordinary. Is it really necessary in the long run, to name your kid "the meaning of lotus flower in Tinkabelian" just because your great aunt was a princess there? How about integrating your children into the society where they live respecting the names, customs and style in the place you are born? You can still maintain your cultural identity and have whats considered a "normal" name, here's an example.......I know a guy here named Miguel Goldberg. What if his parents named him Mordechai instead of Miguel. Don't you think he would have to constantly explain his name and because this and that and the other. Let's keep the children's best interests in mind here.
And I worked with a woman named "Candy Apple Redd" who never got a promotion, even having a college degree, and long term employment, and it's because nobody took her seriously, they treated her like a specimen. "This is Candy Apple Redd, ha ha ha, ha" and she was in her late 40s, overweight and diabetic.
Just my opinion.......

So I decided to look up my former co-worker, CANDY APPLE REDD, after all these years this week. We worked together back in the 1990s at Chemical Bank in New York City. I found out, she is back living in Phenix City, Alabama, where she was originally from, has had a leg amputated (due to circulation problems and diabetes), and is now in a wheelchair, and is on disability. See what naming your kids strange names can do? Maybe CANDY APPLE would have taken better care of her health if she had better self esteem instead of this traumatizing name. Something to think about.......

Davidglen77 said:
... SO instead of parents naming their children to make a point or some silly whim, how about thinking of the consequences of naming your child something SO out of the ordinary.
A name from the real world: Annie Jump Cannon

Davidglen77 said:
So I decided to look up my former co-worker, CANDY APPLE REDD, after all these years this week. We worked together back in the 1990s at Chemical Bank in New York City. I found out, she is back living in Phenix City, Alabama, where she was originally from, has had a leg amputated (due to circulation problems and diabetes), and is now in a wheelchair, and is on disability. See what naming your kids strange names can do? Maybe CANDY APPLE would have taken better care of her health if she had better self esteem instead of this traumatizing name. Something to think about.......

I can imagine the jokes, "you're such a sweetie pie" and such

Ries said:
yes, the Argentine government can tell you what to name your kid.
As can, and do, the Japanese, German, and many other governments around the world.

Its only in the USA that you are free to name your kid

"Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K"

which is some poor kid's real name.

And I should know- my kids are named Rebar and Torque.

So we should take from that that one son is really supportive and the other isn't that quick off the mark but once he gets going, he can really pull his weight? ;-)

Back