Need Advise On How To Handle My Maid

My experience of MANY years in Argentina is that few Argentines understand generosity. They take it for weakness. My Argentine friends have told me repeatedly to adjust my attitudes to the culture. Maybe you should dismiss her and start again. Go on vacation, tell her you don't need her and then don't call back.

For General information on the legal implications of hiring a maid,
Obtaining insurance for a maid working at your place is necesary in case of an accident? . If works over 6 hours a week....!!!!.
  • Es obligatorio la contratación de un seguro de vida para los empleados. El mismo es de bajo costo y de fácil contratación
  • Its Compulsory to obtain a life insurance policy for the household workers .
All you need to know is in the link below do translate...!!

http://www.elservici...on-general.html

Who needs the Especial Social Security System for Household Workers?
¿Para quién es obligatorio el Régimen Especial de Seguridad Social para Empleados del Servicio Doméstico?

para el personal de servicio doméstico que trabaje para un mismo dador de trabajo, como mínimo 6 horas semanales, independientemente que se encuentre encuadrado como empleado en relación de dependencia o como trabajador autónomo.
Fuente: Art. 1 RG 2055/06

Or the AFIP link

http://www.afip.gob....nericos/blanco/

http://www.entremuje..._424157589.html

As said above, it is a different paradigm here, this is cultural. Be generous and you're taken as a sucker here. I would can her.

If I have a boss that pays me well and treats me good I am just encouraged to do my best for them at all times. I've learned the hard way too that it is not the case here. Make them lunch and give them a radio to listen to and next thing you know they are talking on the cellphone and lollygagging about instead of working.

You have to be very authoritarian, give a lot of direction and check their work too. It's amazing the number of times I've found that a plumber that didn't seal a pipe well or some similar, simple mistake, just a total lack of conscientiousness.

I try to find Bolivians to do work in my house as much as possible. They usually have a better work ethic.

GET RID OF HER NOW! DO NOT have her back to clean. Originally I said to tell her you are going on vacation and then never call her back. If she has keys, change the locks NOW. If you don't follow my advice about gong on vacation, meet her in the Planta Baja and tell her that you no longer require her services. Give her a month's pay if you like and say good bye. Don't give her a chance to steal.

I have been very kind to my maid for many years. I paid her more than the going wage (though npthing like your wages!), gave her many gifts, gave her a lot of extra hours during the crisis a decade or more ago -- that kept her (and family) going by her own admission, and have been very respectful but she has always done the minimum and even began doing less and less as inflation eroded her buying power. I am not responsible for the government and its economic policy!

Over and over I have had the experience that kindness is seen as weaness or else the recipient is suspicious of your intenton. You simply can not win by being the nice guy. You don't have to be a slave driver, just be firm. Argentine society is tough - cut throat really. Sorry that's the way it is.

Don't be surprised if she tries to sue you or attempts to get some kind of indemnification when you give her the bad news. Anything is possible here.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I was having the same problems with my current house cleaner as well, I agree to pay 15% more than the standard rate, and 2 weeks later she start telling me about other cleanears that were earning more and telling me that she is charging 50% more per hour from now on, i told her that i cannot pay more so we agree to let the price as it was, later on i realize that she take 1 or 2 hours more than before to do the same work as i pay per hour then it was more expensive and more annoying as she was more hours at home, so now we agree for a fixed price in the day so she work quickly for his own interest. But probably i will have to find another cleaner just in case. For now is working fine the agreement and i don't have to be so worried about what she is doing as i don't pay any more per hour, before she took 1 hour to have dinner that i had to pay now she do everything quickly because she don't get paid for take extra time on everything. (Probably I need to check more exhaustively if she is cleaning all in deep, but so far better deal)

Ceviche,
All the posters are right. Get rid of her. She is taking advantage of you. And yes, here being paid well only makes the maids think you are a loaded dumb ass who can throw money away. And they all think expats are loaded and it is their right to get money from you since you have it.

I have had horror stories too, thankfully all the stories only involved money and clothes, and none of them the kids. One almost sued me, I was able to negotiate with her and she sent me a telegram quitting. Now I have one on the books and she will work for me for no longer than 3 months, no dependency and not contractual obligation then. If they are part time I employ them less than 6 hours a week so they can't claim they depend on my income to live.
You need to read the laws for domestic service and know what to expect if you need more help than 6 hrs a week. http://www.trabajo.gov.ar/domestico/derechos.asp
Also, if you think she'd sue you you might have to negotiate. Her ability to sue depends on how many hours a week she worked and how long has she been working for you. Read the law. Her sudden demands on money might be to precisely set you up to ask you for compensation...

Regarding what to tell her. Just say, nicely, that you no longer can afford her services and that she needs to find another place. You will gladly recommend her to some of your friends and thank her for all her help. Don't argue, or explain your reasons or give them anything they can hold against you. It is like breaking up nicely with someone, it is not them, it is you.

Good luck
Pato

I hired a maid today for the first time - seems fine, but she basically told me she would come twice a week for 6 hours each time. I was thinking once or twice a week for 3 hours. What's up with that?

what a good price to pay, guys?

And should I be paying more on Saturday/Sunday if I am'already' paying a heightened price.

Thanks

I hired a maid today for the first time - seems fine, but she basically told me she would come twice a week for 6 hours each time. I was thinking once or twice a week for 3 hours. What's up with that?

It's the short term mentality that seems to reign here in some people wherein someone will screw you v fast and in the short term for as as much as they can get because they don't know that tomorrow you will be still be here. Can't blame them really as the rollercoaster of an economy has taught them that is how to live..I tried to show our maid a new way in our 9 yrs with her and we still have a really very good relationship but I realised a couple of times she was abusing her hours and short cutting the annual deep clean I asked for so that I needed to be firm but clear on my standards for cleaning - ie dead moths in my shoe drawer does not equal a deep or shallow clean! She drove my husband mad as she talked for Argentina and I got too close to her because of the horror stories that were her upbringing in an oprhanage and the incest in her family...Now I have a new "maid" here in Spain Im cautious to be clear in requirements re working days, payment, holidays, standards. I was recommended in Bsas to put my house as bien de familia in case the maid decided to slip and sue me...that's a sound recommendation for anyone who owns property and has a regular maid in Bsas. We were lucky in having an honest lady who was proactive in finding solutions to typical Bsas issues but any in-house assistance needs to be managed and it sounds like yours is managing you on Day 1...change her or change yourself!

Back