Need Help! Ban On Private Parcels To Argentina

In my situation it is only an ATM card, nothing else. I'm hoping the problem is the strikes and it's not sitting at customs waiting mafia tax. It's been over 1 month so far.

I have a feeling you may be having some issue. In the last month I've brought mail twice from the States and had no knowledge of any strikes. If it didn't come to your door, you have to go out there anyway. DHL's website should note where it is, and if it's in BA it's almost certainly at Ezeiza.

I've been receiving parcels send by registered post from Ireland without any great problems until recently. I've had my credit card sent to me this way in the past. They usually arrived in between 7 and 14 days. However, the last two parcels have been a different story. One was delivered to me last week after about two months, and the other hasn't arrived yet. The 'correo argentino' tracking system says that it's "en manos del cartero" where it has been for months ... I called but was told I just have to wait.

I had been led to believe that the problem was that there has been massive amounts of orders from cheap Chinese internet shopping sites like 'aliexpress.com' and others that offer free shipping. Despite the AFIP charge for foreign purchases they're good value for small stuff like mobile phone covers etc. that are under the AFIP 25 dollar limit, and a massive backlog of parcels has overwhelmed the postal service. Dunno if this is true, but I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has had a similar experience.

This country really does teach you the ability to practice patience.. I'm surprised I still have my hair.

It may have been the jersey and the candy that held up your package - apparently clothes are a big no-no item, and probably the candy as well.

El Queso makes a good point that should not get lost for other readers, and even poor Irishche in the future. It is illegal to send used clothing through the post in most South American countries. I can't quote the law (although some on here probably can) but I understand it is a long-standing ban. I first discovered it when I tried to post a jacket to a US guest who had gone home without their favourite jacket, and my parcel was rejected at the correo when I replied honestly when queried about its contents.

That seemed very odd to me (I was new to BsAs at the time) because I came from a country where used clothes were regularly bought and sold via ebay. But actually it makes sense when you think of the bacteria and viruses that can be carried in used clothes. And even more relevant when you remember that the majority of the indigenous people of this continent (and the one above it) were killed by germs, rather than guns.

I have no idea whether the 'used clothes' element will be relevant to Irishche when the jacket in question in this thread is finally claimed. But now I tell anyone staying with me that if they leave clothes behind I will donate them to a charity. No exceptions.

La Fleur

I had a box of suits and shirts sent to me 18 months ago. Aduana asked me what was in the box. I told them. They handed me the box and I walked out.

Easy peasy.

I had a box of suits and shirts sent to me 18 months ago. Aduana asked me what was in the box. I told them. They handed me the box and I walked out.

Easy peasy.

Well yes, in this country there is the law and then there is what actually happens on the day, which may (or frequently may not) bear any relation to each other. But if one is trying to enforce one's rights, or even to take the legal/moral high ground, it is useful to know the actual law related to the situation.

I didn't say it was illegal to receive used clothes in Argentina when posted from another country. It may not be - the law here is not always symmetrical. And clearly the baggage forwarding services must have some validity at law. In the case of my guest I was trying to send a parcel to a different person (who was in another South American country at the time), but sending things to oneself in another place may be something different. And none of that will account for a clerk in customs (or wherever) who insists that things be done in a particular way [because they had the wrong information, didn't understand the process, don't like you because you are a foreigner, want you to pay a bribe, or it's nearly closing time and they want you to go away, etc - pick reason for the day].

One of the difficulties with giving and receiving advice in an open forum is that people who had a successful outcome in a particular situation often assume it was because they 'did it right' - and that therefore people who have a problem must have done the wrong thing. Or people who have difficulties assume that the same thing will be difficult for everyone. The greatest challenge I have found here is that nothing is ever the same for two people, two days, two clerks, etc - it is like living on the other side of the looking glass. So I appreciate good advice, try to learn patience, and feel great sympathy for people when their turn comes on the wrong day or with the wrong person.

On the credit card experience swapping note - mine arrived last week in a document envelope in the ordinary mail. The envelope had been opened and the small gift inside extracted, but the documents and the credit card were still there. And my theory? The building encargarda opened it and took the gift before distributing the mail. The dangers of sending and receiving things are not limited to the correo and customs.

So my Atm card stopped working about a week after I arrived 3 months ago... My parents ordered a new one and sent it to me through normal post but it never arrived surprise surprise. Last monday they sent a small package with DHL at a 70 euro cost and it has been in the airport since thursday or friday. My girlfriend called them today and they say there is a ban on private packages and if I want it I have to go to the airport and hire a "Customs Bróker" who will fill out all the papers, I have to state where the goods were made and so on. All that's in the package is my ATM card, my Irish Rugby Jersey that I forgot and a pack of malteasers for my girlfriend! Has anyone had to deal with this bullshit before? how much will it cost to hire this "Customs Bróker"? I'm so pissed off, I've been using my credit in Atm's which cost 35 pesos each time.

if you've cancelled the card and need another, i'm going back to ireland for christmas for three weeks.
send me a message if i can be of any help.

I love this comment from La Fleur--- It sums up the everything---

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]One of the difficulties with giving and receiving advice in an open forum is that people who had a successful outcome in a particular situation often assume it was because they 'did it right' - and that therefore people who have a problem must have done the wrong thing. Or people who have difficulties assume that the same thing will be difficult for everyone. The greatest challenge I have found here is that nothing is ever the same for two people, two days, two clerks, etc - it is like living on the other side of the looking glass. So I appreciate good advice, try to learn patience, and feel great sympathy for people when their turn comes on the wrong day or with the wrong person.[/background]

What seems to be going on right now , is that with Moreno resigned , Aduana is a Quilombo. They are rewriting the rules and attempting to enforce old ones. My friend who owns an air freight company is also shut down. Everything will sort itself out soon , customs will continue to take bribes , and the packages will start to come through again.

In hearing from my friend , this actually happens every few months. Better to pay a higher freight rate and know it will get through , than to deal with DHL or others.

Back