Need To Buy Car For 1 Year In Bariloche - Jan 2015 Arrival

Having a copy of your previous crossing document is kind of a difficult task if it is the first time you are entering Argentina with your car. Based on my experience with Chilean customs at Libertadores I would avoid that crossing and drive accross Pehuenche (a little south of Libertadores). Or if you driving to Bariloche then you could just cross at Cardenal Samoré. At both I had no issues with my Chilean car.

If you want to go to Mendoza City, Pehuenche is a pretty major detour, some 363 km southeast of Santiago. It's another 72 km to the Argentine border post at Las Loicas, from which it's several hundred km more to Mendoza. That said, it's a very scenic route, but I only do it if I have specific reason to cross there.

Assuming the rate will be the same as today is a Mistake...!! :D

In your example you buy at $50000/14 = US$3571 and sell at $60000/22 = US $2727 (blue rate at least a year later) A 31% loss Assuming IF your vehicle goes up 20 % in value in Pesos!!!!
Rich ,

My mistake. I meant to say at the probable rate in one years time , not todays rate.

Thanks.

Either way it is a loss.

If you want to go to Mendoza City, Pehuenche is a pretty major detour, some 363 km southeast of Santiago. It's another 72 km to the Argentine border post at Las Loicas, from which it's several hundred km more to Mendoza. That said, it's a very scenic route, but I only do it if I have specific reason to cross there.
Mendoza Ciudad would indeed be a detour. The highway with the beautiful laguna is well worth that detour, though. Especially if you are not in a hurry and interested in getting to know the area. It is really beautiful and peaceful up there.

The original poster mentioned moving to Bariloche. So if buying the car in the Santiago region - with a huge selection of used and new cars - and heading south to Bariloche - then the Pehuenche pass would not be much of a detour. It would also allow avoid the expensive toll highway ruta 5 on the Chilean side (at least from Talca to Osorno).

Mendoza Ciudad would indeed be a detour. The highway with the beautiful laguna is well worth that detour, though. Especially if you are not in a hurry and interested in getting to know the area. It is really beautiful and peaceful up there.

The original poster mentioned moving to Bariloche. So if buying the car in the Santiago region - with a huge selection of used and new cars - and heading south to Bariloche - then the Pehuenche pass would not be much of a detour. It would also allow avoid the expensive toll highway ruta 5 on the Chilean side (at least from Talca to Osorno).

South of Temuco, there is now a roughly parallel two-lane road called the Red Interlagos: http://www.vialidad....as/default.aspx

It is more scenic but slower and less direct than Ruta 5 so, given the cost of Chilean gasoline, it may not be any cheaper (I have only driven segments of it). Still, with Ruta 5, you get a safe and state-of-the-art freeway that's better than anything in Argentina - you get good value from the tolls you pay.

The Red Interlagos highway network is a great way to explore the lakes in the Araucania Region, Rivers Region, and Lakes Region. Highly recommended!

Thanks for all of your comments. We seem to be honing in on having an Argentine friend by a car for us in Argentina with the plan of selling it at the end of our stay.

Thanks for all of your comments. We seem to be honing in on having an Argentine friend by a car for us in Argentina with the plan of selling it at the end of our stay.

If you want to travel to Chile, keep it in his name. You'll need a power of attorney to cross the border (which you can't get if the title's in your own name).

Dont buy a brand new car, as Rich one said it loses it value, like 30%. If it is used, lets say, 3 to 5 years old, you still have a good car with no problems, you will have a respectful value if you resell it, and you also dont have to pay that much in insurance and patente. And the loss in the value is much less than in the first year.

If you want to travel to Chile, keep it in his name. You'll need a power of attorney to cross the border (which you can't get if the title's in your own name).
So you are saying if they buy the car and put it in their name (they are Argentine), that we can get a power of attorney signed to allow us to cross the border? Has anyone done this and did they have any trouble? We would like to cross into Chile for sure if we can figure out how to do it...next stop Tierra del Fuego!

Back