New 100 Peso Note.... Yes Another One.

I could not disagree more. In spite of the inane stupidity of what many of the Madres have turned their organisation into, the resistance to the crimes of the last dictatorship is one of the few things Argentina should be fiercely proud of. AFAIK Argentina is the country that has the best record on confronting its past ghosts, and there are many countries that would do well to follow the same path.

For example, could you imagine the Madres existing in Indonesia to confront Suharto? In Spain to unearth the dark Franquista past? In the US to call the country to account for millions slaughtered in Cambodia, Iraq, Vietnam...? And the list goes on.

In the midst of the inflation, the political histrionics, the corruption, the mistreatment of the native population... the resistance of the Madres stands out as something where Argentina can in fact be proud.

You can look it that way, or it can be a constant reminder of what your country did to 20,000 or so of its own citizens. Maybe the on the Euros instead of great pieces of Architecture they should put a picture of auschwitz as a reminder of the horrors of the past. It might not be a bad idea. I just think Argentina seems to be stuck in the past, they should try and wipe the slate clean and look to the future.

Argenntina is stuck in the past because SAD TO SAY these were its glorious days! While I think the madres did much good and have guts like no one in the past, I hate what has become of them today and I have now lost all respect for them and I truly hate to say this!
I also think that many of the men on our bills were horrible and that we should do like the Euro with neutral bridges, architecture, etc.

Back