New 90 Day Visa Required...

Stellaeve

Registered
Hola,
We are looking to renew our 90day visas... And the cheapest most convenient options seems to be either going to Colonia or renewing it here in BA at immigration..
I think am correct in saying that Colonia would be $800 pp for return boat ride and the immigration would be $300 pp for the new visa...
So it appears that going to immigration would be cheaper.... Please could people let me know if the above information is pretty much accurate... And also if the process of renewing visa in BA at immigration is a painful or easy one...?ie does it involve hours of sitting around and several return trips.. Or can we just rock up with the requisite paperwork and get its done reasonably quickly..
Thanks in anticipation of your input.
Muchas gracias

Hola,
We are looking to renew our 90day visas... And the cheapest most convenient options seems to be either going to Colonia or renewing it here in BA at immigration..
I think am correct in saying that Colonia would be $800 pp for return boat ride and the immigration would be $300 pp for the new visa...
So it appears that going to immigration would be cheaper.... Please could people let me know if the above information is pretty much accurate... And also if the process of renewing visa in BA at immigration is a painful or easy one...?ie does it involve hours of sitting around and several return trips.. Or can we just rock up with the requisite paperwork and get its done reasonably quickly..
Thanks in anticipation of your input.
Muchas gracias

Going to migraciones to get an extension of your present 90 day visas is the best thing for you to do. This is known as the prorroga de permanencia (extension of stay). You can check on line if a turno is now required. The fee is now $600 pesos.

You can ask for the extension within ten days of the expiration date. Even if your tourist visa has already expired you can still get a prorroga within 30 days of the expiration date, but there is an additional fee of $300.

Getting the prorroga only requires one trip and I don't know if you can (or must) get an advance turno on line. If not I suggest you arrive early so you will get lower numbers and your waiting time inside the building will be less. There used to be a limit on the number of turnos given each day. I don't know if that is still the case. It doesn't take much time once your number is called.

If you want to stay in Argentina past the first 180 days then you could go to Colonia to get a new 90 day visa, but be sure to leave Argentina on or before the extension expires (so you won't have to pay an overstay fee) and do not return before the extension (porrroga) has actually expired.

If you enter the word "prorroga" in an advance search (searching titles and content) and display the results as a topic list you will find many posts on this topic, including some that express the opinion that Colonia is not such a great idea.

Back