New American Breakfast Restaurant!

dr__dawggy said:
And grits..

As a Brit, I'd always had the romantic notion that grits were something classic about The American Way Of Life. Arriving in Dallas, early one morning last year, on my way back to Buenos Aires from Ottawa, I squeezed into this tiny diner that was either packed with people on their way to work or hosting a YMCA convention that was still waiting for the arrival of the sailor and the red indian.

'Hashbrowns or grits?' growled the cook.

'Grits, please,' I replied, hoping my plummy British voice didn't give away that I was a first-time grits virgin.

So I got my grits but I wish I hadn't bothered.

I guess it must be an acquired taste

sergio said:
Real maple syrup that comes from trees or Aunt Jemima thick chemical imitation?

Is this a serious question? REAL maple syrup can only come from trees!! :) I think they charge extra for it, but may otherwise serve some imitation syrup. Not sure, only been once so far but will be back! And I do think I remember seeing biscuits and gravy on the menu (but I've never been a fan so didn't order any).

El Hombre, I think grits are definitely an acquired taste, and I think a prerequisite to enjoying them is being from the American South.

Anyway, buen provecho!

elhombresinnombre said:
As a Brit, I'd always had the romantic notion that grits were something classic about The American Way Of Life. Arriving in Dallas, early one morning last year, on my way back to Buenos Aires from Ottawa, I squeezed into this tiny diner that was either packed with people on their way to work or hosting a YMCA convention that was still waiting for the arrival of the sailor and the red indian.

'Hashbrowns or grits?' growled the cook.

'Grits, please,' I replied, hoping my plummy British voice didn't give away that I was a first-time grits virgin.

So I got my grits but I wish I hadn't bothered.

I guess it must be an acquired taste
Oh dear grits and shrimp on the Carolina coast in May early morning....after catching crabs....hmmmm...I would trade almost anything for that now...

MizzMarr said:
It's called Randall's at Malabia 1530, between gorriti and honduras. It opens early and stays open late. I can only think of how many times I've wished for a place like this "after hours" on the tail end of a long night out. :D

See we're similar, but just a little different. Because I can only think of how many times I've wished for a little "after hours" tail on the end of a long night out.

Similar... but just a little different. ;)

i went a couple of weeks ago. my friend ordered the sausage and biscuits. it looked good. i don't think they have grits. :(

Napoleon said:
See we're similar, but just a little different. Because I can only think of how many times I've wished for a little "after hours" tail on the end of a long night out.

Similar... but just a little different. ;)

Indeed, Napoleon, I've never had the early morning 'tail' deficiency, just the pancakes and bacon one... ;)

Postmodernchild said:
Oh dear grits and shrimp on the Carolina coast in May early morning....after catching crabs....hmmmm...I would trade almost anything for that now...
Nagshead or Hatteras ?:)

MizzMarr said:
Indeed, Napoleon, I've never had the early morning 'tail' deficiency, just the pancakes and bacon one... ;)
Now you're just rubbing it in. :eek:

Awesome! To those who have been: how was the food?

Back