New American Breakfast Restaurant!

Well all I can say is that it was pretty damn good.. and I have had much worse American Breakfasts in the States. Worth the trip for me and I would eat there again. Not perfect.. but good. The Argentine sausage flavor was a bit off in the gravey, but where are going to get Southern Style pork sausage in Buenos Aires. :cool:

ambreakfast.jpg

Lauren11 said:
do you know if they sell just the maple syrup to take home?
I doubt it Lauren, but you can probably find maple syrup in smallish 250ml bottle for sale at Jumbo if you just want to use it at home for your own cooking. Last I checked it was minimum of two years ago (I've taken to importing my own or begging friends to bring it for me) and pretty expensive at $30 pesos a bottle, but it's certainly gone up since then! Still, nothing like a good real maple syrup fix.

I've been eating Sunday breakfast here pretty regularly for the past month or so. Best American breakfast i've had in the city, time and time again. * thumbs up *

My two "go to" breakfast/brunch haunts are Cafe Crespin (Vera 699, Villa Crespo) and Malvon (Serrano 789, Villa Crespo). Of course, I've not tried any other places, but these two are pretty good.

Malvon has eggs benedict as well as other breakfast and lunch options. They also make assorted breads and pastries for sale. The one thing I would change is their menu schedule. There are certain items that you can only get between * and * or after * or before *. It's more complicated than it needs to be. The lemonade is fantastic and comes in pitchers.

Cafe Crespin also has a variety of pastries for sale. Lemonade is watered down. The brunch is pretty good and they are generous with the panceta/bacon. Scrambled eggs are runny and undercooked. Lots of sandwich and salad options.

At both places, the brunch specials are enough to share. Unless you have a Northern American super-sized appetite...

So after all the reviews on this thread I finally went to Randall's for brunch last Sunday. No doubt the waiters have been trained in the US style, very quick and responsive. I ordered a little espresso to wake me up...no luck, they have it on the menu but don't have the machine yet (why don't they just buy a little nespreso machine?)....I don't like filter coffee however "never ending" it is but no other coffee option. Anyway, we ended having to drink a lot of it in the 45 minute wait for our simple order (and the place was far from busy). I had scrambled eggs (looked like an omelet by the time it eventually arrived and not very warm at that), bacon (good), biscuits and sausage gravy (seemed a bit light on sausage or sausage flavor but what does a brit know) and breakfast potatoes (good). The real disgrace was that in 45 minutes they had failed to cook my friends chicken wings properly and they arrived salmonella raw in the middle. She is Argentine and reluctant to complain (never understood this attitude) so simply picked at the cooked bits on the outside. I didn't make a fuss as I didn't want to wait another 45 minutes for a replacement dish.

To sum up, attentive service is irritating when it keeps appearing with more of the coffee you don't want and none of the food you do want...and then of course you need to tip the nice young guy because its not his fault the meal was third rate bordering on the dangerous.

With regard to the prices, they do imply a quality that failed to materialize!

Thanks for the tip! I am sure that we will be eating there as soon as we can!

Back