New and already had a gun pulled on me

HenryNisental said:
If I were you I would move to other areas like Caballito, since there are less foreigners living there to atract thieves.
It is a nice place to live too.
I had a guy walk into the starbucks at la plata and rivadavia and demand that I hand over my cell phone if I didn't want to get stabbed. He was bluffing as it turns out but there are thieves everywhere.

That said, I really like caballito.

PhilipDT said:
if you're worried about security, I'd look in to Puerto Madero. For some reason its not very popular with posters on this site but it is probably the safest place you can live in the city. Bit like the green zone.

The ONLY crime-related problem I've had personally here in Buenos Aires was in Puerto Madero where my laptop (along with my backpack) was stolen. I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again. It doesn't matter where you move. It's a city with a crime problem. Not a neighborhood with a crime problem. Yes, statistics, for what they're worth, might persuade you to move to a certain neighborhood, but it does not guarantee anything. I truly believe crime has so much to do with the way you carry yourself here. This has been said so many times, but if you look alert, you are much less likely to be a target no matter where you are.

PM? sorry I am new to the site so I am not sure what that means. Yea I'd love to hear more about your opion and references for tutors.

allcraz said:
The ONLY crime-related problem I've had personally here in Buenos Aires was in Puerto Madero where my laptop (along with my backpack) was stolen. I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again. It doesn't matter where you move. It's a city with a crime problem. Not a neighborhood with a crime problem. Yes, statistics, for what they're worth, might persuade you to move to a certain neighborhood, but it does not guarantee anything. I truly believe crime has so much to do with the way you carry yourself here. This has been said so many times, but if you look alert, you are much less likely to be a target no matter where you are.

I don't mean to sound pompous but I am really alert and I have lived and travelled all over the world and never once had anything happen to me. I spent year in NYC and other cities abroad and when it comes to being alert and carrying myself with purpose and not looking like a tourist or easy target I do all of these things. This was not something I could of prepared myself for I was literally just unlocking my lobby door to leave so its not like they marked me before hand. So while I do appreciate your response I just wanted to clarify that I am not some bimbo who looks like an easy mark.

Sorry for what happened to you. I am also new here and cant give you better advice than already said. we moved to B.A last month and still in the temp housing, we have looked at many areas and I think we are going to end up in the boating club on the north side or the horizon buildings in vicente lopez, mainly due to the safety issues. If you can afford the price, I do recommend looking at these two options as well.

I am also looking for a good teacher, but due to the other stuff we need to take care of now, I have not been able to find a good one yet. Let me know what you decided about the teacher and that can save me some times.

Be careful.. thanks

Hey - I would recommend Expanish. I am currently studying there and I am really impressed by their professionalism.

I also have Rosetta Stone (Latin America Spanish Level 1-5) if you, or other Expats would like to upload it on to their computers.

Neil

flashyashi said:
I don't mean to sound pompous but I am really alert and I have lived and travelled all over the world and never once had anything happen to me. I spent year in NYC and other cities abroad and when it comes to being alert and carrying myself with purpose and not looking like a tourist or easy target I do all of these things. This was not something I could of prepared myself for I was literally just unlocking my lobby door to leave so its not like they marked me before hand. So while I do appreciate your response I just wanted to clarify that I am not some bimbo who looks like an easy mark.

My post was not directed at you. I would have quoted you had that been my intention.

As others have said, sorry to hear it. I'm no longer in BA but my thinking while there was that, at some point, you will definitely be robbed, no matter where you live. It might not be at gun point, in fact probably not, but it will happen. For me it was in Recoleta and it involved a knife.

Anyway, If you are going to move, which I would recommend anyway because Palermo Soho is boring, I'll echo the Caballito, Villa Crespo recommendations and also suggest Almagro. Less expats, less expensive, and, at least in my experience, less serious crime. The expensive expat saturated neighborhoods seem to be magnets for robberies involving weapons. In other parts of the city you will still get robbed but luckily it'll just be a cell phone or purse snatching.

elhombresinnombre said:
Actually, he was stabbed to death

Actually, it was two weeks ago
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/20108-tourist-killed-plaza-san-martin.html

I'm not being a pedant for the sake of pedantry: I feel that if the story gets changed it becomes nothing more than a story. This death shocked and moved me as I'm sure it shocked and moved other BA Expats and I think we owe it to the victim and his memory to get his story right.

You're right, he was stabbed. Anyway, the point is that he was killed for resisting an attempted robbery.

Back