New At Rio Soup Kitchen: Argentines

pastries and beef are better in Argentina but as for the rest i'd say Chile wins. I'm talking about Chile vs Buenos Aires because all the good stuff around the country doesn't tend to make it to BA mostly because portenos in general love bland food.
You have not tried the Kuchen and Strudel in the lakes regions then ...

In general, all Brasileiros are all optimistic bunch and they welcome all foreigners, even the Chinos !

Why should the chinese be treated any different? We welcomed the Japanese immigrants and we welcome Chinese too. And the Haitians and anyone else who wants to come. Brazil is like a mother's heart: There is always room more one more.

Who thinks food in Chile is better than in Argentina needs to go out more ...

Chilean fish and seafood can be excellent but, as I suggested above, they can also ruin it with appalling preparation that makes a milanesa look appetizing. Some traditional Chilean dishes, particularly pastel de choclo when fresh corn is in season, can be delicious. Santiago has plenty of fine restaurants, as do Valparaíso and some other regional destinations.

Why should the chinese be treated any different? We welcomed the Japanese immigrants and we welcome Chinese too. And the Haitians and anyone else who wants to come. Brazil is like a mother's heart: There is always room more one more.

I posted even to the Chinese, due to seeing most latin americans seeing the chinese and despise the race. I have seen them all.
Even the Haitian descended blacks in Cuba making bad jokes about the Chinese..

Chilean fish seafood can be excellent but, as I suggested above, they can also ruin it with appalling preparation that makes a milanesa look appetizing. Some traditional Chilean dishes, particularly pastel de choclo when fresh corn is in season, can be delicious. Santiago has plenty of fine restaurants, as do Valparaíso and some other regional destinations.
Yes pastel de choclo was one of my favorites too when I lived there (though I never liked the tomatoes that come with it). Sea food is very fresh (Barrio Puerto in Valpo, Angelmo Puerto Montt etc etc.) but as you mentioned preparation could be better. But in general I find the cuisine in Argentina is better than in Chile.

Welcomed Japanese emigrants? Not what I heard from the Isseis there. The japanese emigrants were treated almost as slaves
in the days at the plantation. Wetbacking for the Portuguese patrons,in the coffeee and sugar fincas, the J's were treated same as the "Pretos" even the Italian emigrants were treated much in favour due to their "whiteness"..camberiu-san, I agree with you in almost the entirety of your posts but not this one...

A few months after we first arrived in Argentina, I took my Japanese wife to a 3 week tour of Chile. When we came back, she got into a serious depression because she realized how bad Argentine food was compared to Chilean food. We later traveled across South America and she started referring to Argentina as a "culinary wasteland". She still has a hard time accepting that Argentina is in the same continent as the other countries of South America, due to the huge food quality gap.

A few months after we first arrived in Argentina, I took my Japanese wife to a 3 week tour of Chile. When we came back, she got into a serious depression because she realized how bad Argentine food was compared to Chilean food. We later traveled across South America and she started referring to Argentina as a "culinary wasteland". She still has a hard time accepting that Argentina is in the same continent as the other countries of South America, due to the huge food quality gap.
Maybe her depression is the result of something else ...

Welcomed Japanese emigrants? Not what I heard from the Isseis there. The japanese emigrants were treated almost as slaves

Yes, mistreated by the plantation owners that made up what? 0.01% of the population? That is hardly representative. They were treated as poorly as most Brazilians who at the time were not plantation owners, which is 99.9% of the population. But the 99% accepted the Japanese just fine and intermarriage was very common.
I was like 10 years old when I learned that Asian looking japanese descendants actually came from somewhere else. I simply assumed (just like most other kids) that asian features were just a normal variation of people, like height, nose type or eye color. That is how integrated the Japanese were.

Very nice sentiment. If only westerners thought more like this, this thread would not exist.

Back