New ATM fee

Blah - thanks, I've been living here for 2+ years so I'm pretty aware of the precautions. I do it, I just don't like to. But I wanted to give people a heads-up that if they have a Citi or HSBC account, they can take out more than 300 pesos per day.

Edited to say - you do need to be careful though. I just took out 3,000 pesos at a Citi yesterday. The ATM only gave me 500 pesos but charged my account for 3,000. The bank manager was actually very helpful and did all the paperwork and got me the remainder of my cash but you don't have a guarantee that the transaction will be easy. Obviously if you're going to do a large withdrawal, do it in a branch DURING biz hours in case there are any problems.

I took out 300 from a BANELCO yesterday and got charged the fee. I have a citibank account so I usually dont get charged, but of course all three of the citibank machines next to my house were not working. que paja!

A couple of years ago, when the local banks started limiting foreign extractions at around 300 pesos, I contacted my credit union. They stated they were aware of the situation and others had complained as well and were "looking" into the problem. I then contacted the American Embassy to make them aware and they also stated others had mentioned this.

The American Embassy personnel personally could care less as they have their own little bank at the embassy and they can do their banking there so this does not affect them (like the Brazilian Visa situation...another story).

Point is.....this is one of those things that foreigners need to contact their Embassies about. It is THEIR responsibility to look out for their citizens and in the very least, post this information about money problems on their respective websites so at least tourists are aware of what they will be dealing with when they arrive.

If enough people complain to their embassies, hopefully ONE of them will start complaining to the Argentine Central Bank who controls these situations and call them on it. They are violating international monetary laws by doing the 300 peso limit from what was explained to me by the American Embassy.

It all goes back to the proverbial "Let's bite the hand that feeds us" mentality here.

Just wait until they decide to actually kick in the $US100 entry fee which was "postponed". It WILL happen...just a matter of time.

Once again , Charles Schwab does not charge ATM fees. It is possible to make several withdrawals per day without incurring the fees.

I can get out 1500 pesos a day using my UK bank card from banco de la nacion or any other bank that runs on the ink system. You can choose which network you withdraw cash on, and then withdraw three lots of 500 pesos.

Steve - this 12 peso charge in an Argentine charge - would Schwab reimburse you for it?

citygirl said:
Steve - this 12 peso charge in an Argentine charge - would Schwab reimburse you for it?

I was thinking the same. When I signed up for our account, they said all ATM fees are reversed. I will use the card to confirm shortly.

But I wanted to give people a heads-up that if they have a Citi or HSBC account, they can take out more than 300 pesos per day.

I wonder if this would this apply for Citibank credit cards too?

The only way to deal with this is if enough people present a complaint
at the "Defensoria del Pueblo de la Nacion". I have consulted with them
and later on I submitted a formal letter complaining about this issue. I know
they are investigating... So they say... I encourage all of you to do the
same. It takes just 5 minutes. It's very easy.
[Only if they hear from many of us, they'll do something about it!]
Here's the address:

Defensoria del Pueblo de la Nación
Suipacha 365

No other country in the world charges such ridiculous fees for cash

withdrawals! :mad:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Expat Life 20
P Expat Life 25
D Expat Life 10
S Expat Life 34
S Expat Life 40