New DNI Required?

Davidglen77 said:
You have to go on-line www.migraciones.gov.ar and request a "turno on-line"

They are about 1 month behind. I requested my turno on February 2nd and it's for March 7th.

Good luck.

@Davidglen...do you happen to know what those "pop-up" DNI booths are? I've seen them in a number of locations (most recently at the Recoleta Design Center), and it looks like people just walk up and get their new DNI issued on the spot. (My DNI is the new version so I haven't stopped to ask, but I've seen people getting their pictures taken. The booths are clearly labeled something along the lines of "New DNI...") Not sure if they're just for citizens, but if not, it might save you time to go to one of those.

@jimdepalermo
Re the question that started this thread...
http://www.nuevodni.gov.ar/debo_cambiar.htm

No es obligatorio el cambio del DNI que tenés por el nuevo DNI, ya que si está en buenas condiciones y contiene las actualizaciones que establece la ley, ningún DNI en circulación PIERDE VALIDEZ.

Toda nueva solicitud de DNI que por razones de deterioro, extravío, robo o hurto del mismo, se inicie a partir de la entrada en vigencia del nuevo sistema de producción implicará la emisión del nuevo DNI.
I feel pretty lucky in that when I got my DNI it was the new one.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

garygrunson, special thanks for the link to Yrigoyen. I just got a turno for 16 March at that site.

I will post an update once I've gone there and determined what the requirements and drill are.

Regarding advantages of the new DNI, the main one for me is the separate cedula, which can be used for identification without carrying the primary document. After losing my original "little brown book" to a pickpocket on the D train some years ago and spending 18 months replacing it, I try not to carry the original, although occasionally I get into trouble using credit cards without it.

(Under the old system, cedulas were issued by the police. Since the cedula is technically a Mercosur document, however, the police wouldn't issue them to residents from countries outside Mercosur. Or at least that's what they told me when I went to the police station that issued cedulas and passports.)

Regarding the Nuevo DNI booths in shopping centers and on street corners, I've asked about replacing my DNI there, but they process requests only for Argentine citizens and won't do anything for those of us with DNI numbers starting with "9."

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

So I went to my appointment today. Explained to the receptionist that an agent at EZE had told me to replace the document by 3/31/12 or not to travel out of the country. She thumbed through my existing document and said "hmmm. Looks good to me. Maybe the picture could be centered a little better."

I then asked her for the rules regarding the old-format document. She said that all old-format documents in good condition and with color photos are still valid for all purposes. She speculated that at some point the new format will be required but said that as long as there is a backlog - currently up to 60 days - to manufacture the new document, they certainly won't change the rules.

I asked if I could go ahead and order the new document, since I was already there, and she agreed and gave me a number.

So now, for the experience. The new location at Yrigoyen 952, around the corner from Irigoyen just to confuse things, is basic, but modern and reasonably comfortable. Even air conditioned. It wasn't jammed with people when I arrived for my noon turno, and there were always seats available.

You make an appointment at http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?dni_extranjeros and then show up. The receptionist gives you a number. I waited a little over an hour to be called. The actual trámite takes only 5 minutes and costs 35 pesos. The new document will be delivered to my home by Correo within 60 days. Until then I have the use of my old document, which has not been modified in any way that I can tell.

Generally painless. Highly recommended!

there are many poorly informed passport controllers at EZE, I have had a few issues over the years. Í have the same status as you, just forget it.

Back