New guy contemplating move to BA

ssr said:
Anyway you could share some here, BKK to BA? I'm actually interested in going in the opposite direction (if Thailand doesn't descend into civil war, that is) and would love to hear some of the pros and cons of living in Thailand and how it compares to Argentina (a place I know pretty well at this point).

Okay I can do that.....

Much of the pros and cons depend upon what it is youre looking for in a place to live and what holds the most value to you.

Gimme some idea of your age,gender,career,what it is youre looking for and I can give you the 411.

Hey, I'm also interested in hearing about Thailand... I'm 27 and mainly want to be able to go out 4 or so nights a week and have fun, can work anywhere with fast internet

To the original poster, I lived in Recoleta for 6 months in a nice 1 bedroom apartment with a big living room and modern stuff, went out almost every night and had a great life, and I doubt I ever spent more than $2k in a month.. if i did it would have been $2200 max. except maybe once when some irresitably hot money sucking leach attached herself to me for a few weeks.

That is the most encouraging post I have seen here yet! It also answers Syngirl's question, IE.....I'd also like to live in Recoleta, or near San Telmo or Pelermo, and have a decent 1-bedroom place with decent furnishings; not a dump but I don't need a 5-star place either.

And for you and SSR, don't worry about any ''civil war'' in Thailand, the military is firmly in control and the farmers will all be back in Issan soon and this thing will blow over. As for cost of living, 2K in BKK is MORE than enough, you could actually do it for 1500 or less; hell, I live on an island and could make it for 1K {32.5K baht} if I really tried. That's only 12K a year; and if you knew how gorgeous it was here you'd be amazed.

But this board has opened my eyes already; I must've been reading some outdated blogs and websites, because although I had heard that things were on the rise down in BA inflation-wise, I didn't know it was getting to be similar to US city prices as gouchobob mentions; that is just downright scary. I mean, many {most?} ex-pats move to BA because of the cheap cost of living but if it's not cheap anymore what's the point? If I have to skimp on things and live too frugally I will just stay right here, I live like a king right now and it costs me next-to-nothing and I get massages every day.

BKK to BA, expect a PM soon and Thanks a lot to everyone!!

FWIW - BsAs is probably about the same price point as a mid-sized US city. But 2K should be a reasonable budget - although personally, I think its too low if you plan on going out every night or living the highlife.

ETA - those expats that move here looking for a bargain usually wind up going home fairly quickly.

I guess I am more looking for something "new" than simply a bargain...I am tired of Thailand after 7 years and want to try a new place, and have also considered Costa Rica and Prague. Prague is my fav city in the world but has really crappy weather; CR and Thailand are a bit hot and humid for me, which leaves Argentina as my new top choice for a new home, and I have heard so many good things about it.

I pay myself 4K a month from my business, mainly because I still have expenses back in Boston and a daughter going to college in Montreal; so I *do* have a little room over and above 2K. I only set that as a guideline because I can live very well here for that price and would like to do the same in the next place I choose as my home. I may spend Oct- May in BA just to see how I like it, if it's not for me I can always come back here.

You're talking about US$2k?

Jebus! I'm the first to talk about how (relatively) expensive things have got here over the last 3 years, but I would certainly live like a king on US$2k here. I'm currently scraping by on closer to AR$2k....and surviving.

Just get on the plane and come and find out for yourself, because on this forum you're going to hear "you'll need at least US$10k/mth to live in the gutter" or "you can live on the wonderful pizza for US$2/day".....and everything in between!

I came here 3 years ago, and have lived in thailand too, which i thought was cheap compared to NZ. When i first came here was maybe 25 to 30% cheaper than NZ, now is about 25 to 30% more expensive - except for electronics which are double or more compared to the price back home. Its the things i buy not so often than i have noticed the big price jumps. Condensed milk - 2.50, now 8.90, 1/4 kilo ice cream - 3.00, now at least 12.00.. Things like meat and fruit and veges i dont notice going up in price so much because i buy all the time and its just small jumps.. Milk i noticed last week from 2.55 to 2.65 in disco (supermarket), but last year, the same thing was 1.65.. But for what it cost me for a shopping bag of food 3 years ago (7 to 10 pesos) to what it costs me now (usually around 30 pesos or more) is the big difference, and what i buy/eat hasnt changed. Inflation is the killer here and it is getting worse i think..

Alzinho said:
Jebus! I'm the first to talk about how (relatively) expensive things have got here over the last 3 years, but I would certainly live like a king on US$2k here. I'm currently scraping by on closer to AR$2k....and surviving.

Just get on the plane and come and find out for yourself, because on this forum you're going to hear "you'll need at least US$10k/mth to live in the gutter" or "you can live on the wonderful pizza for US$2/day".....and everything in between!

Thank you. I have no idea how to fathom people spending more to live here than I have ever spent to live in New York or Massachusetts. Food prices might be rising but I'm still paying half what I typically do renting in the US. What do some of the people here "need" to spent money on????

I think it would be polite is some of you would recognize that all people don't want to live the way some of you choose to. It feels really classist to listen over and over to people be told they can't make it here on their budget, so they shouldn't even be trying. Original poster exempted, as his budget and living standards seem to match relatively well to your expectations, please exercise some respect and caution when discussing people's budgeting plans, and don't assume people share or want to share your class status.

I suppose you'll disagree, but I feel it totally unnecessary to try to outspend and out class so many of the people that I have met and grown fond of here. At times I feel the expat "class" is one situated on a hill, looking down at the vast majority of Argentines and complaining that it costs them to do so. Why not come down a little?

Ben&Bliss said:
Thank you. I have no idea how to fathom people spending more to live here than I have ever spent to live in New York or Massachusetts. Food prices might be rising but I'm still paying half what I typically do renting in the US. What do some of the people here "need" to spent money on????

I think it would be polite is some of you would recognize that all people don't want to live the way some of you choose to. It feels really classist to listen over and over to people be told they can't make it here on their budget, so they shouldn't even be trying. Original poster exempted, as his budget and living standards seem to match relatively well to your expectations, please exercise some respect and caution when discussing people's budgeting plans, and don't assume people share or want to share your class status.

I suppose you'll disagree, but I feel it totally unnecessary to try to outspend and out class so many of the people that I have met and grown fond of here. At times I feel the expat "class" is one situated on a hill, looking down at the vast majority of Argentines and complaining that it costs them to do so. Why not come down a little?

I think this is all true, just depends on what you want. If you are 20 years old a hostel might be all you need. If you are 50 you might be wanting something a bit more. The original poster could certainly live in Argentina on $2,000 a month most Argentines live on less than that, just depends on what standard of living you feel at home with.

I have to say for me Buenios Aires is very expensive and yes I am one of those expats who goes to restaurants a lot and catch taxis everywhere. I spend US $ 3000 per month and I do not pay rent . Now you might think this is outrageous but if you wish to have a good lifestlye similar to the west it is very expensive here.

I did not move to Argentina because it was cheap and always knew that one day it would be very expensive again as I read up about this beforehand and knew that throughout most of its history it was more expensive than Europe.

I would say nothing is cheaper here except buying properties of course and that is for one reason only that there is very little credit or credit with very high interest fees. If there was accessible credit here like Australia I am positive that prices would surpass even Sydney Australia . I do not agree with this and am a firm believer in living within your means and enjoying life today .

To give you an idea of some costs here gym membership is now 400 pesos a month high standard gym, health insurance 600 pesos a month, high quality foods are double USA or Australia eg , nuts, good quality grains, orgainic fruits etc etc, shoes clothing are more expensive as well .

Last week a pair of good quality shoes that will last longer than usual 550 pesos a pair roughly 160 US dollars. Dry cleaning is very expensive average 10 to 20 pesos per item. Going out is roughly 150 pesos for a good night with drinks . Restaurants are averaging 100- 120 pesos per person now for dinner with wine.

Back