New guy contemplating move to BA

Just get down here... it's great!

Cheers!

Jai Dee said:
Hi All ..... new reader/poster here and I think this forum will be very helpful!

I am 42 years old, living in Thailand since 2003 but getting bored here now; I'd like to be closer to my family in Boston and also have 4 seasons again, this 95 degree year-round heat gets really old.

At the same time I'd like to continue being an Ex-pat; being self-employed gives me the freedom to live anywhere in the world with an internet connection and I like what I have already heard about the cost of living in Argentina, it sounds about the same as here [maybe a bit more].

I may have a few questions here and there, hope to see you all around the board! Cheers, J,D.

citygirl said:
Apparently the correct answer is Yes, Bs As is really cheap.
No. It's relatively cheap if you're earning USD/Euros/Pounds.
citygirl said:
You can totally live well here on 500 dollars a month.
No, but you can live pretty well on US$500 + your accommodation.
citygirl said:
No problem finding great apts for 200 dollars a month.
No, but if you're planning a long stay, have a good look around and get lucky, you can find a great apartment for US$400. For shorter stays you're going to be paying US$600+ and if you want to stay in Recoleta or Palermo probably more like US$800+.
citygirl said:
Anyone who spends more than 500 dollar a month is a stupid gringo and should be shot on sight as a classist bastard.
Now, now.....no throwing your toys out of the cot! ;)
citygirl said:
By the way, inflation also isn't a problem
Wrong again! Inflation is a HUGE problem, and if you're reading this a month after it was written you should ignore the numbers and probably add another 10%.
citygirl said:
there are jobs everywhere
Very, very wrong. Getting a job here, especially if you're over 40, is very difficult. Getting a job that pays all the bills, may be actually impossible
citygirl said:
the pizza here is the best in the world.
That's a subjective call - everyone has different tastes, Though I would say that if you've ever tried pizza in any other country then you'll probably find the pizza here pretty repulsive. IMHO
citygirl said:
And you'll totally be able to buy cheap electronics
That's true....if you can be bothered to go and spend a few days in Puerto Iguazú and pop over the border to Ciudad del Este in Paraguay - you can buy just about anything there, and it's one of the cheapest places to buy electronics in the world. (Of course, then you'll need to know a contact to smuggle it back across the border so as to avoid the 50% import duty - send me a PM. ;) )
citygirl said:
everything will work perfectly
Almost correct - just got one word wrong - replace 'everything' with 'nothing'.
citygirl said:
banking is a breeze.
There's no easy way to put this - banking is a fcuking pain in the arse!
citygirl said:
Oh and the streets are really clean. And paved with gold.
Only in San Telmo, where I live.
citygirl said:
What are you waiting for?
This weeks winning lottery numbers.

hth. :) :)

Alzinho - obviously my post was more than a little tongue in cheek. I edited my earlier post to clarify but I'll say it here again.

Every person has to determine what their comfortable life style is. If you could live comfortably on 500 dollars plus rent - power to you. I couldn't.

Sigh.. people will think and experience what they want. My point is/has been - I have seen a lot of people come here over the past few years with the misguided impression that BsAs is cheap. And frankly, it's not.

citygirl said:
Alzinho - obviously my post was more than a little tongue in cheek.
As was most of my reply. :)

citygirl said:
Every person has to determine what their comfortable life style is. If you could live comfortably on 500 dollars plus rent - power to you. I couldn't.
Not a cheap date then?
In that case, you're paying.... ;)

citygirl said:
Sigh.. people will think and experience what they want. My point is/has been - I have seen a lot of people come here over the past few years with the misguided impression that BsAs is cheap. And frankly, it's not.

Agree 100%.

citygirl said:
I give up.

Apparently the correct answer is Yes, Bs As is really cheap. You can totally live well here on 500 dollars a month. No problem finding great apts for 200 dollars a month. Hey, I have a lonely planet from 2002 that says that, it must be true. Anyone who spends more than 500 dollar a month is a stupid gringo and should be shot on sight as a classist bastard. By the way, inflation also isn't a problem, there are jobs everywhere and the pizza here is the best in the world. And you'll totally be able to buy cheap electronics, everything will work perfectly and banking is a breeze. Oh and the streets are really clean. And paved with gold. What are you waiting for?:rolleyes:

Ooooh, I wanna live there!! Where is that? How do I get there? ;)
Just point me in the right direction.

mini said:
Ooooh, I wanna live there!! Where is that? How do I get there? ;)
Just point me in the right direction.

Just ask Mr Scott to beam you up.

(You need to look for another planet.)

I am planning on moving to BA with my wife and two kids, but reading this thread has been overwhelmingly confusing!!!!! Fortunately I am coming over to see for myself, before we actually move. Having lived in a third world country all my life, I must say that I would imagine that it would be quite difficult for a first world person to adjust to the third world - period! Even right here in my "third world, one horse town" there are many opinions as to how much money one needs to get by on. As a family, we spend about $2200/mnth here, but I must hasten to add that we live beyond our means! In this particular location, one is forced to do so (to an extent). Reason being that things like public transport don't exist here at all, so car/s are par for the course. Health care is extremely expensive, as are electricity, education and fuel. But I can assure you that there are folks here who get by on less and many more who wouldn't dream of spending less than $8000/mnth! So yes, it is all subjective. For me, I've realised that half of the shit we own, is totally unnecessary and we could be very happy with much less. As for BA - I'm sure it's like most comparisons, in that there are some items that are cheaper in BA than your current location and others that are more expensive. That too is par for the course...

Rickyj said:
I am planning on moving to BA with my wife and two kids, but reading this thread has been overwhelmingly confusing!!!!! Fortunately I am coming over to see for myself, before we actually move. Having lived in a third world country all my life, I must say that I would imagine that it would be quite difficult for a first world person to adjust to the third world - period! Even right here in my "third world, one horse town" there are many opinions as to how much money one needs to get by on. As a family, we spend about $2200/mnth here, but I must hasten to add that we live beyond our means! In this particular location, one is forced to do so (to an extent). Reason being that things like public transport don't exist here at all, so car/s are par for the course. Health care is extremely expensive, as are electricity, education and fuel. But I can assure you that there are folks here who get by on less and many more who wouldn't dream of spending less than $8000/mnth! So yes, it is all subjective. For me, I've realised that half of the shit we own, is totally unnecessary and we could be very happy with much less. As for BA - I'm sure it's like most comparisons, in that there are some items that are cheaper in BA than your current location and others that are more expensive. That too is par for the course...

Coming for a visit first is definitely the right thing to do. You won't need a car, but supporting a family of four on (significantly) less than $2200 per month here (including private health insurance and private schools) could be difficult, even though health insurance, public transportation, and electricity are relatively inexpensive.

Long term rental contracts at reasonable rates are difficult for foreigners to get. Even if you have "residency" in most cases you will need a guarantee. You will also need to buy furniture (including fridge, light fixtures, and perhaps even the curtains) as well as all of the other "stuff" you really can't live without, some of which is alarmingly expensive for the (lack of) quality.

If you do make he move, at least you won't be living in a "third world" country any longer...

I don't think you can expect to pay $800/ month on rent, and live on $40/ Day.

However, you can spend $500 on rent and live on the remainder no problem. It's not a day -to-day consideration. This city will "nickel and dime" you to death. However, I have a very cushy apartment for $900/ month now. So, I would guess you can find something for $500-$600.

Back