New guy contemplating move to BA

Alzinho said:
I am genuinely baffled by this! Honestly, I'm not criticizing or having a go at anyone, but this is almost AR$8000/mth!?!? I've been here for 3 years and I've never met anyone who earns more than AR$4000/mth. I've personally never had access to more than AR$2500/mth, and I live alone in a nice flat and have a kid to maintain.

I just can't get my head around the fact that anyone can think that living on AR$8000/mth is only 'doable'! Please, please, please point me in the direction of the jobs that are paying AR$8000/mth.....hey, I'll do them for half that (really).

The big expense is housing. You got a regular long term unfurnished apartment as did I. But check out the prices of short term furnished places. Like I said above, the key is how much you spend on housing.

citygirl - so, by your calculations, allowing for living in a nice apartment in the best part of town, eating out twice a week (at very flash restaurants - AR$100!), spending half his life on the phone (AR$300/mth!) and drinking 3 or 4 cocktails on a night out (cocktails, how chic!).....you still only managed to get up to US$1600?

I think you proved my point!

citygirl said:
And I pay my entry level employees close to 4000 pesos a month (bruto).

Any jobs going?

;)

mini said:
Like I said above, the key is how much you spend on housing.

That's true, it does make a difference. But the difference between what I've been extremely lucky to get and a nice one-bedroom in Recoleta is still only US$400/mth....which seems like a relatively small amount when put against the 'US$2000 is doable' debate, no?

It sounds like in Thailand he can get a larger place on/near the beach than he would be able to get in BA. The lifestyle change is pretty different, and in BA where inflation is high and you're not on a garantia a rent that starts at $800 bucks could find itself at $1000 within 1 year.

Generally speaking, unless you have a lot of luck, most of the tourist apartments will only give you a lease for 6 months, and then every 6 months they will either ask you to pay yet another round of commission fees and/or raise your rent yet again. The first time you sign the lease you can almost guarantee that they will ask for 1 month commission and 1 month deposit, and then your 6 months of rent (you may be able to negotiate to pay month by month)... but basically you're looking at $800 x 6 + $800 commission + $800 deposit = up to $6400 usd up front ($5600 rent and commis, $800 deposit) but only 6 mos of renting = $933 a month + $800 deposit. Comission is gone, deposit you can probably get back at the end of the contract.

So if $800 is really your ceiling, then you need a place that is $685 usd a month ($685 x 6 and a commiss = $4795 usd total, and then your $685 deposit that will hopefully be returned).

The problem with the 6 mos rentals is that it can be really hard to get out of paying these stupid comissions, so every 6mos you're actually paying 7 mos of rent. If you stay in one place for a while you can try and negotiate it with the agency, but they can be asses. And they are almost guaranteed to up your rent at the end of every 6 mos period.

On top of that, they will use the most ridiculous reasons to not return your deposit. A missing spoon, a broken glass, a chair that was already broken before you moved in, or some stain that you told them was there before and you can say goodbye to your deposit -- unless you have the time to spend about another month or more arguing with them to get it back. They will do anything possible to not give back any money.

syngirl said:
On top of that, they will use the most ridiculous reasons to not return your deposit. A missing spoon, a broken glass, a chair that was already broken before you moved in, or some stain that you told them was there before and you can say goodbye to your deposit -- unless you have the time to spend about another month or more arguing with them to get it back. They will do anything possible to not give back any money.

Seriously tho, that is illegal.
They may charge the missing spoon, but not the entire deposit. And at least in Argentina, it does not matter what your signature is on. The law is the law and no private contract can force you to do anything you should not.
So if you happen to sign something that says: "If something is broken, it's your ass, lady!"... it is not valid. Unless you like that arrangement, of course.

People, just keep in mind that the main reason our economy is so screwed up is because of our current administration (7 years in a row now). Next year there will be presidential elections and depending on who wins the economy will continue the same and getting worse or it MAY start going back to normal and why not even improving. In first world countries it really does not make a huge difference in everyday life who wins the elections, wages reamin similar and inflation does not change significantly (among other possible issues). In places like Argentina it makes a huge difference and next year will not be an exception to this rule. This is just an FYI to all Expats here (and also future expats). Just my 2 cents and of course, IMHO

-Juan

Alzinho said:
That's true, it does make a difference. But the difference between what I've been extremely lucky to get and a nice one-bedroom in Recoleta is still only US$400/mth....which seems like a relatively small amount when put against the 'US$2000 is doable' debate, no?

I think syngirl outline the housing issue for temp apts quite well. It's getting more & more difficult to find a reasonably priced place to hang your hat. Not that it's not doable. It is. But it takes work.

I don't think people are saying it's not possible to live in US$2000. It is. What are you expecting for this amount? That's the question. I think Thailand on US$2000 is different from Buenos Aires (not Argentina) on the same money. Plus prices go up every few months.

There is no need to sign up for 6 months and pay so much money upfront. When you first get the apartment, say you want it for 1 month, then a week before the time is up say you feel like staying for another month. Repeat for as long as required.

I have done this at five different apartments, each time saying I would stay for 1 month, then ending up staying 3-6. A few times the owners complain they've already booked it for the next month, but somehow they always manage to cancel the next person or move them to a new ap...basically they are full it, most of these aps are empty the majority of the year. If the guy asks for an extra commission payment, or wants to raise the price, just find another of the hundreds of available aps. At this point they'll beg you stay and even give discounts.

So long as you dont present yourself as a pushover you have all the power in this situation because there's so many unrented apartments.

I give up.

Apparently the correct answer is Yes, Bs As is really cheap. You can totally live well here on 500 dollars a month. No problem finding great apts for 200 dollars a month. Hey, I have a lonely planet from 2002 that says that, it must be true. Anyone who spends more than 500 dollar a month is a stupid gringo and should be shot on sight as a classist bastard. By the way, inflation also isn't a problem, there are jobs everywhere and the pizza here is the best in the world. And you'll totally be able to buy cheap electronics, everything will work perfectly and banking is a breeze. Oh and the streets are really clean. And paved with gold. What are you waiting for?:rolleyes:

Edited to say - really, I'm not being snippy. Well, I am but its just frustrating to me. Of course there are a million ways to live inexpensively here. There are a million other ways not to. Its up to each person to figure it out and figure out what their "comfortable" standard of living is. But having been for a while, I can't tell you how many people come down here and are shocked that the cost of living is nothing like what they imagined.

If 2000 dollars would buy "you" (ambiguous you) an extravagent lifestyle - power to you. It wouldn't for me. But to each his or her own.

Back