New guy contemplating move to BA

Ye gods - sorry I offended! But 2.000 USD is NOT an extravagent budget, especially if you want to live alone.

Of course you can live here for much less than that, especially if you want to share an apt, don't go out all the time, cook at home, don't take taxis, etc.

It's also very easy to spend a lot more than that.

citygirl said:
It's also very easy to spend a lot more than that.

True, that......as Pericles has just proven!

On the other hand, ben&bliss and alzhino seem to be managing on a whole lot less; I must say the prices in this thread alone are all over the map, and on other websites I have seen as well.

Just to re-iterate; the numbers I was referring to were 2K in *US dollars* per month, perhaps $2500 USD max. All cash going to rent, utilities and internet, as well as food and living staples, with simple entertainment perhaps 3 nights per week; I am NOT a high roller at all and will bring all clothes needed for a 6 month stay.

With the absolutely amazing inflation numbers presented by Davonz and others on this forum, how the hell can the locals even live there anymore??

Jai Dee said:
With the absolutely amazing inflation numbers presented by Davonz and others on this forum, how the hell can the locals even live there anymore??

Well according to the government there is little or no inflation, however to answer your question the locals don't live well on local salaries. According to the government about 14% of the population lives in poverty, private estimates are more like 30-35% (and probably increasing significantly with the inflation as pay just doesn't keep up). Most of the people posting here are people with incomes outside of Argentina which by local standards are quite high. Most expats here if they had to live and earn like the locals would probably be heading for the airport. My guess is that the same is true for a lot of places including Thailand.

Jai Dee said:
True, that......as Pericles has just proven!

On the other hand, ben&bliss and alzhino seem to be managing on a whole lot less; I must say the prices in this thread alone are all over the map, and on other websites I have seen as well.

Just to re-iterate; the numbers I was referring to were 2K in *US dollars* per month, perhaps $2500 USD max. All cash going to rent, utilities and internet, as well as food and living staples, with simple entertainment perhaps 3 nights per week; I am NOT a high roller at all and will bring all clothes needed for a 6 month stay.

People live here by any means or zafar is the best term . The glue that sticks Argentina together is it close-knit family structure where wages and houses are shared with very little luxuries at all. This applies to 60 percent of peoples here .

But there is also a large proportion of Portenos who do live very well and they earn much more than official wages . Remember that a huge proportion of monies earnt are not in offical figures and it is not unusual to meet people with 6 or 7 properties fully owned etc etc.

This is the duality of Buenos Aires where there is a very wealthy class surrounded by a growing class of villas in the Capital Federal and Provincias.

how the hell can the locals even live there anymore??

Any place where it's expensive & the locals have modest wages, they simply cram a whole bunch of people into one place.

That's seen in Thailand & BsAs, and I would imagine in higher cost US cities like SF, NYC, and LA.

JD, I agree with CityGirl. US$2000 is doable but it's not extravagant. There certainly are people who are living with less than US$2000. In reading some of their posts and blogs, the sense of struggle is quite obvious in some of them.

The KEY is sorting out your living situation. That is where you will spend the most time & the most money. Choose well, grasshopper.

Its seems you have the option to pay yourself more if you really have to. So, come on over.

mini said:
US$2000 is doable but it's not extravagant.

I am genuinely baffled by this! Honestly, I'm not criticizing or having a go at anyone, but this is almost AR$8000/mth!?!? I've been here for 3 years and I've never met anyone who earns more than AR$4000/mth. I've personally never had access to more than AR$2500/mth, and I live alone in a nice flat and have a kid to maintain.

I just can't get my head around the fact that anyone can think that living on AR$8000/mth is only 'doable'! Please, please, please point me in the direction of the jobs that are paying AR$8000/mth.....hey, I'll do them for half that (really).

Coolest, I will keep your screen name handy if I am looking for an assistant once I land LOL

I am coming down for a month from June 20 until July 20 to scope it all out..... this thread is baffling to me as well, some saying 2K US is barely enough, some saying it's more than enough, and everything in between. as Mini said, I just gotta come over and see for myself, so I will.

Yes, I know june-july is winter, but I am in the 90's and humid now and it's driving me nuts; 50 degrees F could be a nice break and it will also give me a chance to check out the city myself before I decide to spend next high season there. If I do at all!

Interesting thread, eh? Talk about differing opinions!!

Alzinho - I'll give you the numbers.

I'm assuming the OP is going to want to live alone. And in a decent neighborhood. And probably won't have access to a guarantia which means renting a short-term furnished apt.

Average price for that is 800 USD a month for a decent 1 BR apt (and can be much, much more).

Health Insurance - well, I'm just using mine as an example, mid-range plan with Swiss Med - about 150 dollars a month.

Cell phone (I have a contract so am lucky) but most people won't so say 300 pesos a month (75 dollars).

Dinners out -- well, I average about 100 pesos a person, so say 25 dollars. If you go out to dinner 2x a week, 50 USD a week - 200 USD for the month.

Food Shopping - say you spend 300 pesos a week - 1200 pesos a month - 300 dollars.

A night out for drinks - well, average price for a cocktail in 25 pesos (7 dollars). Say you have 3 or 4 and go out 1x a week. (80-100 dollars a month)

That's about 1600 USD right there. And that's not counting taxis, any bills you might have, big nights out, shopping, misc purchases, etc.

ETA - Again, these are totally subjective numbers but I think a reasonable baseline. Of course you can rent an unfurnished studio for a lot less (although then you have to pay to furnish it). Or you could share an apt with someoe and pay less. Or or course you could not eat out. Or maybe you don't drink. Or you choose not to have private health insurance. There are a million variables.

But I think what I and maybe other people are pointing out is that Buenos Aires ISN'T CHEAP. Of course you can do it on a budget, or you can spend a fortune. But mid-range living isn't inexpensive.

And I pay my entry level employees close to 4000 pesos a month (bruto). And all of them still live at home and yet share with me that they have challenges living on that. And I also provide them with health insurance at no cost.

Back