New Immigration Decree, Long Life To King Macri!

I don't know that my wife and I would be Argentine citizens today if it were not for all of the info Bajo_cero2 posted here publicly. I represented us through the process, but having someone knowledgeable to lean on here was tremendously helpful.

Helping with information is fine, going on and on against the current government is quite another.

you seem to be some old forum member with a new id from Oct 16 onwards!

Lot of expats & locals are not in favor of the current govt. But not everyone voices their opinion on public forums.

Exapts - does not necessarily mean foreigners from US, UK and Western Europe.

Bajo cero is a v imp member of the forum, and contributing since 2010.
Then there is no reason for him to make an offensive ad hominem argument. Calling me a troll when I sought to comment upon/satirize his political philosophy is just that. But what can one expect from a lawyer who says he is proud to be called rude and nasty.

Macri has to play the hand he was dealt and in this case CFK and her minions dealt him a poor hand in deed. A runaway black market, burdensome tariffs, corruption exemplified by business friends of CFK burying millions in cash in a cemetery vault, a bankrupt national treasury plagued by "noquies" plus high unemployment with subsidiaries for hoards of immigrants (many living in that expanding eyesore of villa 31), malnutrition and hunger suffered by many, a national utility company that experienced power outages regularly in the summer, a foreign policy that antagonized potential important allies and befriended Chavez...and on and on. Bajo can ignore my satire. He and the folks that live here can't ignore the breathtaking incompetence of CFK.

You cannot be an intelligent foreigner and being in favor of this government that is anti foreigners.

This decree gives a huge power to immigration without any control from Court. This happened during Peron´s regime and it only produced corruption.

If someone can arrest you without an order and keep you 60 days in jail before to deport you, then, he also can use that possibility to ask you for bribes.

Now there are immigration controls at bus stations and airports hunting "illegals" and they arrest you right away. So, seems that the regime was not K, it is M.

So, having permant residency does not make "morally superior" because it can be cancel and the new decree bans judges to review it and give it back.

You cannot be an intelligent foreigner and being in favor of this government that is anti foreigners.

This decree gives a huge power to immigration without any control from Court. This happened during Peron´s regime and it only produced corruption.

If someone can arrest you without an order and keep you 60 days in jail before to deport you, then, he also can use that possibility to ask you for bribes.

Now there are immigration controls at bus stations and airports hunting "illegals" and they arrest you right away. So, seems that the regime was not K, it is M.

So, having permant residency does not make "morally superior" because it can be cancel and the new decree bans judges to review it and give it back.

Not all foreigners are equal. Like it or not, that is a fact and a government's immigration policy (whether by presidential decree or congressional law) that seeks to control the kind of immigrant is rational exercise of its inherent power. Yes, there ought to be a process to protect persons seeking refugee status or otherwise claiming the right to immigrate within the parameters of the existing law.

With respect to "existing law" I understand your concern for the abuse of power by the executive branch, but disagree with your political conclusions that Macri has abused his power and in doing so has effected a derogation of the human rights of people residing in Arg. Since when is immigration to a new country a human right? It's a privilege, not a right and certainly not a 'human" right as that term is commonly understood.

Moreover, since you criticize Macri for abusing the decree power, doesn't Arg law provide a process for Congress to override such decrees and/or change the power of the executive to issue such decrees in the first place? If so, isn't that a sufficient control over the abuse of executive power? Has Congress sought to do so?

Frankly, I am confused by the relationship of citizenship to permanent legal residence etc (in part based upon the awkward English utilized by some contributors). I haven't tried to comprehend it as heretofore I've been satisfied with my rights to come and go with a tourist visa for intermittent stays of less than 90 days. Now I will marry an Arg citizen and seek a permanent visa or the equivalent, however denominated, so I can stay longer and more frequently. I feel neither morally superior or suffering from a lack of intelligence (more rudeness of which you are so proud). I simply do not agree with your position on the rights of persons to immigrate to a new country.

p.s. to whoever described me as a reinvented contributor: If that were true, it would not be to impugn my integrity - the former moderator was odd.

I for one enjoy reading Bajo_cero - I may not agree with his political convictions but his comments are a very useful way to understand how a lot of people think in Argentina. May I also state that I have enjoyed reading julian's comments as well as others who disagree.

As an expat, I view Macri as making some important long-term decisions, but I don't suffer too much from the huge increases in prices across the board (such as utilities), most of which were not announced during the election campaign. Let's hope the short-term pain leads to long-term gain.

I took the train from Retiro to Tigre yesterday. On that journey you see lovely houses in Barrio Norte and complete wrecks and corrugated iron shacks coming out of Retiro. It's a useful reminder that Argentina is a country with a much greater rich-poor divide than in the UK, US, Australia, etc. and that this informs the political divide, which again is much wider than in my country.

As an expat, I view Macri as making some important long-term decisions, but I don't suffer too much from the huge increases in prices across the board (such as utilities), most of which were not announced during the election campaign. Let's hope the short-term pain leads to long-term gain.

The removal of subsidies on utilities was announced explicitly during his campaign. That and the lifting of bank and foreign currency restrictins are the only two things he actually promised and delivered....the rest just doesn't look very bright.

I took the train from Retiro to Tigre yesterday. On that journey you see lovely houses in Barrio Norte and complete wrecks and corrugated iron shacks coming out of Retiro. It's a useful reminder that Argentina is a country with a much greater rich-poor divide than in the UK, US, Australia, etc. and that this informs the political divide, which again is much wider than in my country.

You are right in saying that there is a high rich-poor divide here. But consider this: unlike the countries you mention, Argentina freely accepts all immigrants from Mercosur countries, no questions asked. Once here, they have access to free medical care, free schools, and free universities.

The shacks outside Retiro are in the Villa 31. My cousin is an architect working for CABA, and five years ago surveyed the Villa to determine the feasibility of urbanizing it. To his surprise, he found that 60% of the residents came from neighboring countries, mostly from Paraguay.

Back