New Policy at Starbucks, No Purchase necessary...

I’ll take your word. Whatever they do to it, the taste is far, far from that of fresh, unadulterated milk.

If you mean milk straight out of the teat, I'm with ya.

IrFqtLc.jpg

Sorry, I still can't see why it awakes such passionate dislike. Must confess I have a soft spot for the chain. I drove across the US back in the early nineties, when Starbucks was a welcome oasis in the Midwest desert of MacDonalds and Dairy Queens. Back then, it was the only place serving capuccinos in Nebraska. I'm one of the Old Guard who still remembers a time when the only coffee available in the US was the watered-down American version.

Having said that, I must admit that Dunkin Donuts has better American coffee now..

Nearly all milk in Argentina has powdered milk added to it. Read the label. Also the extended shelflife milk has been heat treated so that’s another reason why it tastes differently. It’s not just the packaging.

Nearly all milk in Argentina has powdered milk added to it. Read the label. Also the extended shelflife milk has been heat treated so that’s another reason why it tastes differently. It’s not just the packaging.

I'm 80% sure that the thing about powdered milk being in milk is not true, it certainly doesn't say anything to that effect on the label, can you provide a source for that?

You're also wrong about the extended shelf life milk being heat treated differently. Both leche large vida and leche en sachet are UHT pasteurized. Can you provide a source for your claim that they're heat treated differently?

When refrigerated milk is pasteurized, it is heated to 170 degrees Fahrenheit to kill bacteria. Shelf-stable milk, on the other hand, is heated to 284 degrees, killing even more of the bacteria that cause milk to spoil.
CNN - Health: Companies try to market no-spoil milk in the U.S.

Heating it to a higher temperature preserves it on the shelf. This higher temperature also ruins it for making yogurt.

When I moved here about four years ago almost all the milk ingredients stated Leche en polvo. I’ve not looked recently but will. Just like the sachet Sancor milk had oil added to it.

When refrigerated milk is pasteurized, it is heated to 170 degrees Fahrenheit to kill bacteria. Shelf-stable milk, on the other hand, is heated to 284 degrees, killing even more of the bacteria that cause milk to spoil.
CNN - Health: Companies try to market no-spoil milk in the U.S.
That is true in the US, that is not true in Argentina. Both refrigerated milk (at least all of the main brands) and shelf stable milk are UHT (ultra high temperature) pasteurized.

Also I made yogurt two days ago with this milk. It doesn't set up as well as HTST milk would but it definitely works.

Back