New Rules For Permatourists ?

I don't know the movie, but Mehran Karimi Nasseri, an Iranian refuge, was living in the departure lounge of Terminal 1 in Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris, France from 26 August 1988 until July 2006 - almost 18 years. The airport is urban, but it is not a legend.

The Straight Dope: Has a guy been stuck in the Paris airport since 1988 for lack of the right papers?

http://www.straightd...he-right-papers

MKNasseri.jpg

The silly Tom Hanks movie is based on this guys story... that's what I Was trying to say. But also, I've heard it's an urban legend (I actually read about it in a books/collection of urban legends)

The silly Tom Hanks movie is based on this guys story... that's what I Was trying to say. But also, I've heard it's an urban legend (I actually read about it in a books/collection of urban legends)
In that case it should be removed from the collection. When it is in The Straight Dope, then it is The Straight Dope.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehran_Karimi_Nasseri
http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A33471100
http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/airport.asp
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Mehran+Karimi+Nasseri%22&lr=&sa=N&hl=en&as_qdr=all&biw=1280&bih=624&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=RRdzUtHsK4i0kAeyzYBY&ved=0CCcQsAQ4Cg

Used to work for an airline, had many people (sometimes in shackles depending on the country refusing them entry) brought to the airplane on their way back. Many a times the country refusing entry or deporting them would buy the ticket to send them back home.

No matter what country you go to, as long as it is not your home country, you are dependent on the immigration officers to let you in. I have never been a permatourist in any country but if I were to become one, I would have an exit strategy in case the immigration officers decided to enforce the rules against me. Like I said, its their country, not mine.

On that note, Bajo_cero2 has repeated many times that traveling back and forth every 90 days is needless and overstaying is safer so not sure why people still do the whole permatourist thing.

For one thing it's a perfect excuse to raid Uruguayan ATMs for dollars. What if you wanted to travel for the pleasure of it? If you have bank statements and MORE receipts and prove you're income is coming from outside Argentina, who's going to say anything?

On that note, Bajo_cero2 has repeated many times that traveling back and forth every 90 days is needless and overstaying is safer so not sure why people still do the whole permatourist thing.
There is always a problem, when people have a vested, economic interest in a certain viewpoint.

Ley de Migraciones - Ley 25.871 and the later decrete, Decreto 616/2010, tells us that

1. as long as we are tourists, i.e. 'Turistas: quienes ingresan con propósito de descanso o esparcimiento.' = ' those entering for the purpose of rest or recreation.'

2. after a stay (as a genuine tourist) of up to 180 (90+90) days, you have to leave the country. It does not say you have to stay away for a certain minimum period.

- and as internationalguy writes, going to Uruguay can be fun (some months ago I spent a week visiting friends in Montevideo), and they have U$S.

I understand both your points but you can apply for citizenship after 2 years anyway (except if you're from Germany or Switzerland or Singapore or similar...then you'd have to give up your other citizenships).

Either way, its up to the person doing the permatouristy stuff. Doesn't really hurt me one way or another. I just think "alarmist" threads like this are a little pointless every 3 months or so.

Other than that I was only speaking to internationalguy's hypothetical...just saying that I would be prepared in a situation where I was denied entry, that's all.

Anyway. Argentina will have permatourists for the foreseeable future. I don't see them cracking down on one of the biggest sources of US dollars anytime soon.

I understand both your points but you can apply for citizenship after 2 years anyway (except if you're from Germany or Switzerland or Singapore or similar...then you'd have to give up your other citizenships).
- and that is the nub of the problem for many permatourists.

I just think "alarmist" threads like this are a little pointless every 3 months or so.
Zee Wulf iz zee commink!!! - or Chicken Little :)

Anyway. Argentina will have permatourists for the foreseeable future. I don't see them cracking down on one of the biggest sources of US dollars anytime soon.
Precisely, but considering the completely erratic government of Argentina, where nobody can predict how the rules will be tomorrow morning ...

No, they have to do a due process before that.
But it is super easy to reject them at the border without process and without rights. They just fill this form>

That's why I suggest to overstay.
There is always a problem, when people have a vested, economic interest in a certain viewpoint.

Ley de Migraciones - Ley 25.871 and the later decrete, Decreto 616/2010, tells us that

1. as long as we are tourists, i.e. 'Turistas: quienes ingresan con propósito de descanso o esparcimiento.' = ' those entering for the purpose of rest or recreation.'

2. after a stay (as a genuine tourist) of up to 180 (90+90) days, you have to leave the country. It does not say you have to stay away for a certain minimum period.

- and as internationalguy writes, going to Uruguay can be fun (some months ago I spent a week visiting friends in Montevideo), and they have U$S.

Have you read the rejection act? pseudo-turista means fake tourist.....perma-tourist,

Have you read the rejection act? pseudo-turista means fake tourist.....perma-tourist,
Yes, pseudo-turista is a fake tourist, but a tourist is clearly defined as "quienes ingresen con propósito de descanso o esparcimiento" - not working, not having an income in Argentina, ... strictly as defined. Although it ought to be "descanso o/y esparcimiento"

It is all about evidence, because this is not you who decide it. And a passport full of stamps evidence a fake tourist.
By the way, I didn´t know you are a local attorney...

Back