New to BA from Chicago--Masters at UBA

philblue3

Registered
Hey!

I am arriving in Buenos Aires on August 13th and am going to be trying to start classes that day at UBA to get my Masters in Psicoanalisis. I will not have my student visa because I'm having the FBI report sent to me from the States, but I plan on slipping into classes and auditing until I can become a fully registered student. I am open to meeting anyone and would love any connections in UBA! I'm also looking to teach and won't have a place to stay. So if anyone needs a roommate or has any connections at la Universidad de Buenos Aires, let me know!

You should contact the nearest Argentina consulate to you in the States regarding student visa requirements. You will likely have to make a trip back and apply for that visa there before you can officially enroll in La UBA.

philblue3 said:
Hey!

I am arriving in Buenos Aires on August 13th and am going to be trying to start classes that day at UBA to get my Masters in Psicoanalisis. I will not have my student visa because I'm having the FBI report sent to me from the States, but I plan on slipping into classes and auditing until I can become a fully registered student. I am open to meeting anyone and would love any connections in UBA! I'm also looking to teach and won't have a place to stay. So if anyone needs a roommate or has any connections at la Universidad de Buenos Aires, let me know!
No visa, no place to stay, no registration, audit classes. great plan. What exactly is Psicoanalisis/ same as Psychoanalysis???? Are you crazy? This is Buenos Aires not NY or Boston or LA.

The consulate in Chicago has been trying to contact la UBA for me and we have not been able to get through (I think they are on vacation and classes start when I get there). The only problem will be the delay of the FBI background check, which I will have to get mailed to me. I am going to try to get into the classes anyway and see if that is possible and want to know if anyone has tried to audit classes at la UBA before.

You probably won't have any problem sitting in the classes as an "oyente," but again, being a student there is not easy if you are doing it on your own. Typically, there is some agreement with an institution in your home country that facilitates this process. Be prepared to be very frustrated if you are just going to show up an expect things to magically fall into place.

When I studied for a Masters at La UBA, new students had to register before a date in November (I think) to begin classes at the start of the academic year that March. Pupils are also interviewed to make sure that they satisfy academic/language requirements to enter a post-grad course there.
If that's still the case, it's going to be a good six months before you can begin as a registered student (that's an entire semester!). Don't forget that La UBA also stops for the summer end of December. La UBA is currently on winter break (I think it starts up again this Monday) so it might be a good idea to drop them a line before coming over or come over for a couple of weeks, familiarise yourself with the processes, make sure you meet the requirements and then come back over for the start of term in February 2011. I also believe that there are different rules as far as being an "oyente" on an undergraduate and an "oyente" on a postgrad course are concerned as the post-grad classes are much smaller and charge students a monthly fee.
To get the student visa you will need a letter of either acceptance or, possibly, pre-registration.
La UBA is not the most organised university in the world...Expect to have to do a lot of the legwork for visas, enrolment, etc yourself!

Yeah, I'm already frustrated but it's definitely what I expected. I'm hoping to be an oyente and then see if they will let me count those credit hours towards my masters once I actually become a student.

Ashley, that's very helpful. Thank you. I am beginning to realize that it may be really tough to do this. I'm moving down this Thursday and will have to figure some stuff out when I get there. In your experience there, were there any oyentes? Did they have to pay? I figure I may as well go to these classes if I'm there.

Hey I'm beginning to figure out all the paperwork and stuff. If you have any questions PM me.

When I was studying here, there were no oyentes in the post-grad classes. The facultad de filosofia let people sit-in on undergraduate classes and also provided free postgrad seminars but I never heard of them allowing an oyente into a Masters course...of course, nor did I ask.

Back