Newly arrived

Thanks for Hotel tip yes please send details. Will pay Salta a viste as you suggest and see how it is. ANy recommendation of the best transport method to get there I was thinking of the train?
Thanks

You need a bank account here too will give you a lot of benefits if you have dollars. You could be making a 30 to 40 percent different in fix costs.
For that you need the proper documents which a easy to obtain if you have normal and regulated status in arg

I´d also highly recommend visiting Salta. I took a cama ejecutiva bus with the company Andes Mar from Retiro to Salta, and decided to skip the long bus trip on the way back by flying. However, as uncomfy as a 20+ hour bus trip might be, airline prices are jacked wayy up for foreigners so it might be more budget-friendly. Definitely visit the Salt Flats when you're in Salta/Jujuy and you should also visit Purmamarca in Jujuy as well- it's home to a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Don't wait until the weather gets too hot to go visit.
It gets scalding hot and people take a "siesta", a sleeping break after lunch, 'till 5 PM.

Hey vertex.

I live in Salta (for 5 years now) and run a software company here. Let me know when you are coming and I'll be happy to show you around!

If you like it here and would like to stay for longer term I can also help with rental and/or other details.

As AHansen said, the bus is the cheapest way to get here - even though it's a long trip the buses are comfortable and the difference in price makes up for it.

It doesn't get *that* hot here and people always take a siesta hot or not ;)

Climate here is nice and hot during the day and cools down at night (right now it's cool during the day as well, but sunny most days).

But remember that Salta (district population ~500k) is a very small city compared to BA (district population ~13 million), hence less night-life, less cultural events, less ex pats, less restaurants and food options etc.. On the upside there's a lot less crime, less pollution and people here are more open, friendlier and live a more relaxed lifestyle. There are also as people mentioned earlier in this thread a lot of great places nearby for day/weekend trips.

If you (or anyone) has any specific questions about Salta just let me know.

Thanks! great to have details of the hotel sounds perfect.

Your experience is really so helfull and much appreciated

Hi Thomasb

From your description Salta sounds good to me as we are looking for a simple life!

Would really appreciate help with longer term accomodation, a rural location around Salta would be great but must have internet as my business is on-line.

Really look forwartd to catching up with you when we get to Salta. ANy advise appreciated

For rural locations, but still with shops around etc look into San Lorenzo (http://www.sanlorenzosalta.org.ar), Castellanos, Lesser, San Luis or Vaqueros. All barrios within 20-30 minutes from the city centre.

If you don't need a furnished place I can put you in contact with my real estate agent, it's still possible to rent here without garantia in some cases. If not, some of the properties that my wife's company manages can be rented for longer periods of time (http://www.alquilado-salta.com.ar - longer term prices are different than what stated on the site as those are short term prices and it's high season now).

Internet here is, well not too bad, but depends on what you are used to. The max speed they offer here is 6MB (we have 2 lines of 6 in the office - from different providers in case one goes down - on a load-balanced router with a 3G mobile backup). With one line you'll get ~95% uptime. I used to complain about the speed but got used to it.

My email is thomas at blackfishweb dot com, send me an email and we'll keep in touch.

Cheers

-Thomas-

Back