Nightmare At Ezeiza

Probably watching River v Barcelona. 4 of us, 2 aged 5 and 6 with 9 bags. I don't want to even think about walking ..
Why are the police not moving them?

Probably watching River v Barcelona. 4 of us, 2 aged 5 and 6 with 9 bags. I don't want to even think about walking ..
Why are the police not moving them?

Good question. Actually, we have never quite figured this out: what, exactly DO the police do?

As others mentioned, the police are not removing these road blocks because "it's their right to protest" by blocking the roads.

Some 6-7 years ago I was driving back with my wife from Asuncion in Paraguay, the year after the farmer's big blockade of the city, during the smaller blockade the next year ( the previous year was when they burned the fields outside the city and the prevailing winds covered the city with smoke so thick for a week or two tht you often couldn't see a half a block in front of you! It was hot, you had to open windows and smoke got in the apartment, etc I have pictures somewhere of a couple of shots of the city during that time). This smaller blockade the following year actually let cars through, but the previous year they had forced dairy trucks, for example, to sit on the side of the road for days until the dairy products spoiled...what a year that was!

Anyway, while we were in Asuncion they declared this smaller "strike" that year and I knew it was going to be a pain, but I saw on the news in Asuncion before we left that this year they were opening the blockades every so often, so at least I knew we wouldn't be stuck in Asuncion an extra week or two. When we got to the first blockade on our way back, I had no idea how much time they were taking to open the blockades to let people pass. We were stuck behind a number of trucks heading towards Buenos Aires. I saw, at one point, the blockade open a little and let pass a small pickup truck, so I thought things were going to open up. Apparently the guy driving the truck was a friend of the blockaders. We didn't move at all and they closed up the blockade.

I was really pissed at the time - I didn't understand nearly as much about Argentina as I do now (not that that's a lot, still!) and I had just lived through the previous year in smoke during a blockade that not only had included a smoked-out city, but also I had been watching the shelves in the super market becoming very empty. It was kind of scary at the time. I didn't know really what to expect at this blockade in the northern provinces near the border of Paraguay.

As someone in this thread mentioned with the airport blockade, to the right of the highway was some flat land under some trees, almost a park, quite nice. Families are playing football, talking, sipping mate, cooking on the parilla, and so on, having a great ol' time. Parked across the road itself are two harvesters (this was one of the farmer's protests against the government's taxing situation with exports) nose-to-nose with a gap large enough for one car, blocked by another small pickup that they were using as a "gate" to open the blockade when "necessary".

And here, I look over at 5 cops sitting by the left side of the road, on the other side of a drainage ditch, sitting on the grass in front of their motorcycles under some shade trees and taking mate. Not a care in the world.

So I get out of my car (my poor wife was almost frantic - she was afraid someone was going to kill "the stupid gringo") and walked up past the trucks in front of us and asked one of the guys who was standing at the blockade what was happening, when they were going to let us go, etc. They all looked at me and laughed! Didn't say a word, literally turned their backs on me.

I walked over to the cops (actually had to jump the damned ditch and one foot landed in water, drawing more laughs from the bozos at the blockade), walked up to them and asked what was going on, telling them I was a foreigner who lived in BA but didn't understand how this worked and just wanted to know how I would get back to BA considering that there is only one freaking road from the north to the south, unless I wanted to backtrack and go through Entre Rios! Most of the cops didn't even respond, just looked away.

There was one woman cop who seemed to take pity on me and explained that these guys were within their rights to block the road - the only reason they, the cops, were there was to make sure no one killed anyone in anger with the situation.

We hit a number of blockades over the 1000 kilometers or so getting back to BA. It delayed us about an extra 5 hours...

That's when I started thinking to myself, and more often as the years with Cristina rolled on, "bienvenido a la Argentina."

So, a rather long-winded story perhaps about why people here can block roads with impunity: because they are allowed to as a "right". the cops are there to make sure no one kills them over their "right".

As someone else mentioned, that's hardly democracy, but too many people don't understand democracy. Here, and in too many places around the world, people seem to think democracy means "I'm going to make my problem yours whether you like it or not, whether actually just or not, whether reasonable or not."

I hope Macri and his administration can help the lawmakers decide to change this situation.

I was lucky enough to be going the other way... Drove past in the taxi and just shook my head - how selfish of them to think it is alright to ruin thousands of peoples holidays. There is a right and wrong way to get your message across and what they are doing is ridiculous. The police should ask them to move and if not make it forceful. They can protest and make noise in a public place that isn't going to disrupt the lives of others.

To any reasonable person this sort of behavior is intolerable. Unfortunately many Argentines are not reasonable. While Argentina has been chaotic for a long time, the situation deteriorated greatly under the Kirchners. What little respect there was for law and order before Nestor Kirchner become President, rapidly deteriorated under his reign and continued to do so even more precipitously during the CFK years. What is tolerated in Argentina would not be tolerated in any developed country, nor even in most developing countries where authoritarian leaders would immediately suppress protests - even reasonable and peaceful protests - with any means at their disposal. In a democracy the rights of the majority are taken into consideration while the rights of the minority are protected -- but not at the expense of the majority. This concept is not understood in Argentina. It's an attitude reflected in the lack of consideration by neighbors who make a lot of noise, play loud music at all hours, shout and scream all night at parties that go on and on into the early morning hours. Just as there is no good solution for this problem, there is no solution for incidents like road blocks. Why? Because there is a pervasive attitude that nothing can be done, that the authorities do not care, that it is some kind of "right" of an aggressive minority to disrupt the lives of others, to hell with their needs or feelings. Does President Macri care? If so, he he will have his work cut out for him in trying to change deeply ingrained attitudes.

At a friends and family lunch yesterday I overheard someone say 'We live in a bananero (banana republic). It's always going to be like this. What can we do?'
It's comments like this that really get me going, especially when uttered by intelligent people who have the nous to know better and think differently.
I tried to intervene and tell them what bollocks they were talking, but you know Argentines; so many of them all talking at once, interrupting each other and shouting over you that in the end, I didn't bother, which is the irony.
It's precisely this mentality that cripples the social and cultural advancement of this country.

This country needs its silent majority, if such a thing exists here, to have a mad as hell moment.
At a friends and family lunch yesterday I overheard someone say 'We live in a bananero (banana republic). It's always going to be like this. What can we do?'
It's comments like this that really get me going, especially when uttered by intelligent people who have the nous to know better and think differently.
I tried to intervene and tell them what bollocks they were talking, but you know Argentines; so many of them all talking at once, interrupting each other and shouting over you that in the end, I didn't bother, which is the irony.
It's precisely this mentality that cripples the social and cultural advancement of this country.

This country needs its silent majority, if such a thing exists here, to have a mad as hell moment.

As pointed out earlier, "not a thousand Macris' shall change 'Viveza Criolla' culture". Maybe in a generation or two.

Back