No commercial flights until September 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read that in La Nacion. Sounds insane, but that's what the article says.

There will be no commerical flights our of Argentina this year. The government by decree has banned airlines from selling any tickets in advance for any date of 2020 . Thie technically means no commercial flights out of Argentina and only rescue flights will be allowed .

That means we'll be stuck footing Aerolineas' horrific deficit, now that La Campora is once again in control. More taxes in the horizon....!

Wonder what Uruguay will do. It would be easy to take Buquebus and fly out of Montevideo.

The decree includes international and domestic flights.

Domestic flights could still change and start earlier depending on us doing our part not to contract or spread the virus in the meantime.

International flights, well first and foremost, that is not an Argentine issue to solve or influence. Other countries need to get their health situations under control before these can even be considered.

My attempt at futurology would take a reference from what Australia, New Zealand and Singapore are planning on implementing in the next 4-5 months - a "travel bubble" - where these countries would be open to one another but closed to the rest of the world since these countries have a similar situation/plan and measures in place to suppress the virus.

Could imagine a "travel bubble" with Uruguay and other similar countries, but Brazil and US will almost certainly be off-limits until around the end of the year or longer. Europe not until September at least when their borders will re-open (despite the scientific community saying this is already too optimistic.) and many in Asia are applying selective entry policies (e.g. banning anyone who has been in risk zones recently and/ or nationals of risk zones.)

i would bet flights resume this year. no way it's completely shut down for 7 months

I’d agree, but then again I didn’t envision it ever shutting down to begin with.
We still don’t understand the situation enough to be able to plan responsibly.

That means we'll be stuck footing Aerolineas' horrific deficit, now that La Campora is once again in control. More taxes in the horizon....!

Wonder what Uruguay will do. It would be easy to take Buquebus and fly out of Montevideo.
The ports are closed too.

What makes you think Buquebus will be working by then?

It may be just wishful thinking on my part, but I rather think it will.
Lopez Mena, the owner, has strong ties to politicians on both sides of the river.

It may be just wishful thinking on my part, but I rather think it will.
Lopez Mena, the owner, has strong ties to politicians on both sides of the river.
That would be nice but why let buses run but not airlines? What's the difference?

And will Uruguay allow foreigners to enter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back