No-frills Strategy for Obtaining Residence

BankNote said:
Fake Marriage will not work.

Marriages of "convenience" will not work to get an Argentine into the US, but a legal marriage in Argentina will accomplish the OP's goal of obtaining permanent residency and then citizenship in Argentina.

steveinbsas said:
Marriagees of "convenience" will not work to get an Argentine into the US, but a legal marriage in Argentina will accomplish the OP's goal of obtaining permanent residency and then citizenship in Argentina.

Marriage of convenience to a Argentine might work if you are a American or a European certainly not if you are from a 3rd world country.

Secondly, in a marriage of convenience the girl can screw your happiness if you don;t know her that well.

BankNote said:
Marriage of convenience to a Argentine might work if you are a American or a European certainly not if you are from a 3rd world country.

Secondly, in a marriage of convenience the girl can screw your happiness if you don;t know her that well.

Well, the OP is from the US so there's no problem there.

Secondly, marriage (convenient or not) to a "poor slob" can certainly screw up the happiness of the girl as well.:D

jnicolai said:
1. Come as an ""Artist"
2. Marry an Argentine
3. Bring beaucoup bucks
4. Buy Property
5. Invest in the country.

#1: Even if the OP is a "fine" artist (as opposed to BS), I am not sure about the duration of that type of visa and I seriously doubt it could ever lead to a permanent visa.

#2: Just covered that issue.

#3-5: "Poor slobs" don't bring big bucks, buy property, or invest in the country.

Being young, sincere, and highly motivated will indeed be helpful.

Wow! Sincerely thank you for the great response, you guys have given me a lot to think about. This is very difficult for me.

First and foremost, there are a lot of things I can provide to Argentina that make me "worth it". I'm a very intelligent young man that has worked hard all my life. I would encourage you read the new thread I've made here: http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/15817-want-expat-hungry-knowledge.html that will give you some much better insight as to my motives. To me, accessing Argentina is a matter of life or death.

While I need to gain residency, ethics and honor are extremely important to me. I was simply trying to emphasize the point that I need raw logistics here, but it seems like I gave the wrong idea. This is real life, the beauracracy is what it is, and survival is survival. Ethics don't count on the paperwork. Any and all 'ins' it would be irresponsible to myself not to research.

Which brings me to the next point. Steve and Eva, you had asked "If this discussion
isn't about ethics, what difference does it make if you ever become a legal resident in the great country of Argentina?" And that's a very good question.

I've considered the option of just floating down there and surviving, but it seems like it'd be a very difficult way of going about it. My concern isn't whether I can survive in the woods with just a backpack since I have plenty of experience with that already. The concern is closing the door on a lot of options... work (that doesn't involve backbreaking labor in the vineyards), a bank account, a home, etc, but also the ease of staying in contact with my family. I really ought to consider that as a last resort, but perhaps it won't even have to come to that.

I'm seeing now that I have my priorities backward. From what I'm gathering, the best decision I can make is to just get down there as a tourist for starters, and then start meeting people, investing, marrying a citizen and PROVING my worth. I am fortunate that the tourist laws are so generous and I now realize that I can use them toward my advantage.

Finally, Steve, I have been reading that thread you linked for me, thank you. There is a lot of interesting information there and I will definetly be refering to it during my research and posting.

I didn't mean to give the wrong vibe, especially for my first post. Hopefully you can understand that I only wanted to emphasize the point that I'm approaching this pragmatically.

Thanks for reading.

Leaving the US makes sense and I somewhat agree with the reasons you posted in your other thread, but are you looking for a place to permanently settle down? Why? You're pretty young. Why not travel the world teaching English, working on organic farms, or other odd jobs? Move around, make money, learn languages, invest in yourself. At the least have a temporary stay in Argentina to get a real impression of the country before you get all hell-bent on scrubbing toilets in order to live there.

SingForAbsolution said:
Leaving the US makes sense and I somewhat agree with the reasons you posted in your other thread, but are you looking for a place to permanently settle down? Why? You're pretty young. Why not travel the world teaching English, working on organic farms, or other odd jobs? Move around, make money, learn languages, invest in yourself. At the least have a temporary stay in Argentina to get a real impression of the country before you get all hell-bent on scrubbing toilets in order to live there.

You speak well. I would love to do such a thing, but frankly, I envision a lot of doom and gloom for the entire world and Argentina is statistically one of the best places to live in the interest of survival. I first got turned on to the idea at www.escapetheusanow.com. This is a very big site with lots of information, and rates every country in the world in 100 survival categories. Argentina blows every other country out of the water. There are alternatives that he has rated well, such as Uruguay and Brazil, but if I'm gonna put in the effort to expat, obviously I want the best.

But you make a valid point and I will meditate on that idea. I do want to just arrive there and see really what it's like.

Don't worry guys, I'm not simply trying to leech off of Argentina, just survive. I do want to contribute back to its people by investing and going to med school.

Goshinki said:
I first got turned on to the idea at www.escapetheusanow.com. This is a very big site with lots of information, and rates every country in the world in 100 survival categories. Argentina blows every other country out of the water.

oh gee, only 120 pesos, que oferton

I suggest the OP read this thread (if he hasn't already): Job Offer in Buenos Aires

It will give him a good idea of what it will cost to live in BA in a shared apartment.

If his net blogging income is anywhere near $12,000 per year he should be able to get by. If not, perhaps he can also find "work" (hopefuly not scrubbing toilets) in BA. If he is willing to work for Argentine wages he might even get some jobs working for expats: perhaps painting (walls and ceilings) or doing yard work.

Back