No Gas In Our Building For The Next Three Months!

Apparently they are replacing the system. This morning, when doing my stair climbing I notice in the entire hallway on planta baja they have all the concrete ripped out and a trench along the entire hall. If they're doing that it could well take the seven months someone described. This building is 10 stories high. I guess better to do that than have an explosion.

this happened to me 3 years ago! we didnt have gas for 4 months. It was such a drag, but at least cold showers are healthy, haha! and I ate many salads!
the tough part was my morning coffees but at that time it was much cheaper to go to cafes.
I dont know what they will do in your case, but the worst part was that they had to break half the tiles out of my kitchen and living floor to get to the pipes, and we (the owners) had to replace everything because they said that the administration didnt have the money.
I hope that the owner of your apartment will at least buy you an electric stove so you can cook, and maybe a gym pass to shower!!!!

I don't think they will, shoush but you may have missed that I had 3 months in Chile already planned. But if they have to do that through the whole building I don't see it being just 3 months. As much as I like it here, I might well move. I am sure my landlady doesn't want me to move and it's not her fault. Probably it's necessary--but I'd say that they haven't done much so far. I eat mostly salads anyway and could get by with an electric hotplate. I could make coffee with that.

My mom-in-law was without gas for more than two years here. Extreme case, but beware when they start ripping open the walls.

Oh dear! After that post I think I see a move in my future. Most here in the building are owners and even if it takes two years, they're stuck. But not me! Sure points up the advantage of renting doesn't it? Salads are my lifestyle anyway, though I do cook a few things, as long as my distiller keeps working, for now, and producing hot water for me, I'm fine. One has to accept some inconveniences when one lives on the frontera! ;)

Y'all are making me realize though that perhaps I need to plan for it to be a long siege unless I move. Thanks for sharing the information. I still have not gotten over the tendency to believe what people tell me. They did come up here a while back, pulled out and disconnected my stove for a few hours. I can't see very well behind the stove but it looks like they knocked out the wall, about a 10-inche square, between my apartment and the next--makes me think they are replacing all the pipes in this 10-story building, not just making repairs.

No gas available in my temp apartment rental the past three days and the scuttlebutt is it will be weeks.

I went by an apartment building where I rented an apartment years ago and spoke with the doorman. He said their building had no gas from November 2013 to April 2014. And, that is a very well run building.

What the hell is Metrogas up to ?

No gas available in my temp apartment rental the past three days and the scuttlebutt is it will be weeks.

I went by an apartment building where I rented an apartment years ago and spoke with the doorman. He said their building had no gas from November 2013 to April 2014. And, that is a very well run building.

What the hell is Metrogas up to ?

Well, after going back and reading this thread it looks like I'll be "lucky" if it is only weeks. Blimey.

in a week send a carta documento to whoever rented it to you and get out while you still can

Same thing happened to me this last winter in my apt. -- not the whole building, thank goodness. It was just another in a long line of odysseys (this wk no electricity!). The regulations were updated in 2008, so most apartments in the city are not up to code.

Consequently I have lightly used (3 wks) hot plate and an electric kettle for sale, if you're interested.

We had the heating pipes replaced this winter (just our apartment), we were without hot water for a week (they took down the boiler), then the building water tank broke, so we were even without water at the same time (took 4 days to fix, it was a simple level meter pipe that slipped away, but nobody noticed...).
They tore down the walls of all our apartment, there was so much dust that I couldn't sleep in my own bad because I kept coughing.

After the repairing was done, they had to close the walls, paint everything back, re-install the boiler, fix the electric fixture they had removed. We kept cleaning the house to make it livable, went to shower at a family member's daily, washed teeth with bottled water. All in all 40 days of work, of which one week in unlivable conditions.
We did the cleaning works ourselves because it was clear that nobody took that into account and anyway it would have meant to wait another week for a professional cleaning. Had to wash/clean everything because the fine dust settled even in taped cabinets. New mattress is now striped with dust on the bottom.

When we told the landlord that it sounded unfair to pay rent for such a place, that we wouldn't have rented it in the first place if we had know it would have been in that state for a month. He sounded offended, like we were playing a trick on him. (Plus we were without heating for the 3 months before the works).

Other landlords/owners in our building have refused to make any work to avoid the discomfort. In our case it was not a matter of safety, just of heating not working due to bad pipes. The other people living in our building use electric heaters, but our landlord had a 10-years guarantee on the house, so the jobs were covered by insurance and he'd rather go that way than pay for electric heaters for us.

I don't expect Argentinian landlord to care about their tenants anymore.

Back