No Gas In Our Building For The Next Three Months!

Also happened about 4 or 5 years ago in my husband's building. That was pre-wedding and I remember thinking "Thank goodness we don't live together!" It was definitely 3 months. Sounds like it's the standard. There is not a good answer as to WHY oh WHY these things take so long. Anyone take the D from Facultad de Medicina going downtown? Can you explain to me why it has taken them months, at least 2, to put in what I can only see are some sort of drainage grates at the bottom of the stairs? But if you ask yourself why it will only drive you mad. You can't change it. Just make sure you never adopt the "If you can't beat them, join them" attitude.

Yeah, I used to get off at Falcultad de Medicina (in May) and they were - what seemed to me - replacing the treads / tiles on the stairs.
They blocked off half of the stairs at a time (to keep the other half open for the public) and after 5 weeks they were still working on it (I don't get off there anymore).

They were a crew of 3 and I used to peek over the hoarding sometimes to see what they were doing.

These guys would have been on the clock the whole time.
Who's paying for this? Where is their supervisor?

I do not believe that it would have been hard to motivate these guys to work harder via a more appropriate pay structure ($/m2 NOT $/hour), some 'motivational dialogue' or by simply replacing them. Surely there are some decent tradesmen in a city this size.

Similar to my earlier post on this thread, I became emotionally involved with these steps at the FdM subte station.
I wasn't as driven to tears as I was in my earlier post, but I was definitely exasperated.

Rich One, as I have observed before, we all know why you are . . . Rich one! (giggle). I understand your point, but it isn't the landlady's fault so my heart wouldn't be in penalizing her. I can see the solution is probably just buying some kind of electric hot plate or something. What's a calefon, by the way? My Spanish dictionary doesn't have it. And SEVEN MONTHS???!!! Oh dear, oh dear!

Rich One, as I have observed before, we all know why you are . . . Rich one! (giggle). I understand your point, but it isn't the landlady's fault so my heart wouldn't be in penalizing her. I can see the solution is probably just buying some kind of electric hot plate or something. What's a calefon, by the way? My Spanish dictionary doesn't have it. And SEVEN MONTHS???!!! Oh dear, oh dear!
calefon is an tankless water heater

That won't solve your problems but if you make a ranking, what's the most important? Water, electricity, gas.
Should be for all of us: 1- Water, 2- Electricity, 3- Gas.

I told you, this doesn't solve your problem (glass half empty, blabla).

That won't solve your problems but if you make a ranking, what's the most important? Water, electricity, gas.
Should be for all of us: 1- Water, 2- Electricity, 3- Gas.

I told you, this doesn't solve your problem (glass half empty, blabla).

I'd rather have electricity and no water than water and no electricity

Well, thanks for all the commiserating with me. It's great not having to go through such crises alone. Y'all saw me through the even worse crisis--no Internet--as well.

My good fortune is incredible in that I have a 3-months stay in Chile already planned. It is the possibility of 7 months with no gas that scares me BUT . . . I have cooked two potatoes and two hard boiled eggs so far and also bathed from the hot water made in my water distiller. So I decided just buying something to cook and heat water with and I'll manage. Even if it IS 7 months (but hope springs eternal that it won't be) After all, I didn't sign on for New York City (YUCK!) but Buenos Aires. But who would suspect all this could happen while looking at this beautiful, modern (?) city. What an adventure!

This old man definitely is in need of an outlook/attitude adjustment. I loose elevator service for half a day and am ready to start a revolution. Stammer around like a child. OP Arlean looses all means to cook, bathe and heat for ~3 months and passes it off as part of the adventure. Amazing!
Good luck.

Back